Skip to content

Your Favorite RPG

2»

Comments

• sparkleavsparkleav Member Posts: 871
    edited May 2016
    Chnapy said:

I've played plenty of good RPGs but until I find the perfect one my favourite is prolly going to be VtM : Bloodlines. The story's enthralling, the graphics aren't as bad as they look at first glance (ok so this is not encouraging, I know but really, your character ends up looking pretty cool with some stuff), it has so little bugs you wouldn't believe it's a Troïka game (understand : it's not downright unplayable), and the setting and characters are pretty damn cool.

The Kotors are nice too but I find that they both suffer from being compared to the other (what KotOR could have been with better graphics and possibly randomized loots, what KotOR2 could have been if it had actually been finished)

I really do love Bloodlines even with it's not so great graphics and bugs, the story is enough to keep you playing. I really hope another is eventually made, though it'd be Paradox/Obsidian now as they have the rights...there's rumours floating about.
    I wonder what that WoD MMO would have turned out like if it hadn't been cancelled :neutral:

• AyiekieAyiekie Member Posts: 975
    Dragon Age II is the very best and most immersive CRPG I've played.

(Should've put that in the unpopular opinions thread.)

Most of the other RPGs that really creatively stuck with me I would put under the "flawed but brilliant" category - Planescape: Torment, Morrowind, KOTOR II, Persona 3, Ar Tonelico II, and Ar Nosurge.

In the olden days, I'd also add Phantasy Star IV, Chrono Trigger, FFVII, and Xenogears.
  • SmilingSwordSmilingSword Member Posts: 827
    It was BG2 ever since I played it back in highschool. Witcher 3 has taken that title now, best damn game I've ever played. The final expansion is coming out at the end of the month :smiley:

If I had to list my top 10, they would go

1. Witcher 3

2. Baldurs Gate 2 EE

3. Dark Souls 2

4. Mass Effect 2

5. Dark Souls

6. Witcher 2

7. Dragon Age 2

8. Dragon Age Origins

9. Dark Souls 3

10. Warframe
  • 10Bazza1110Bazza11 Member Posts: 169
    I am going back many years here, it was a game on my old ZX81 called Fantasy Games, this was actually 2 games in one Sorcerous Island and Perilous Swamp. Both were text based and the graphics were terrible with the sound non-existent.

I was so excited about playing the games being a massive D&D fan that I rushed straight home after buying it to load it up. Sorcerers Island was the main game so I tried loading this first bearing in mind it took about 5-7 minutes to load. I tried 3 times without success so gave up and tried Perilous Swamp that loaded first time. I dived straight in, moving my little black square around the map and reading the text. I was in my element, almost D&D on a computer.

I played for a couple of hours being careful not to jog the 16k ram expansion back at the back of my computer before I had to go and have my dinner. I turned the computer off so it did not over heat and crash, a known problem with ZX81’s. I rushed my dinner down and went back to my computer loading Perilous Swamp only for the damned thing not to load, I must have tried another 15 times to load both games but they just would not load, so I gave up and went and played D&D.

The amount of time and effort I put into trying to get the thing to work just so I could move that little black cube around the black and white screen without sound was amazing and makes me feel so nostalgic. I guess this is why this is my favourite RPG of all time Closely followed by BG. Sad I know.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    I've been surprised today. It looks like the pirate RPG I mentioned on the first page, created years ago by russian developers, has found its way to Steam and recently got an English translation and (!) a new DLC.

Sea Dogs: To Each His Own, http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33465

The graphics is very dated, but it's the best open-world pirate RPG I have ever known.
  • TStaelTStael Member Posts: 861
    Dragon Age 2 & Planescape Torment at par, for best game narrative thus far. What writing! PS:T loses out on matter of combat though.