Skip to content

Your Favorite RPG

XeroshiXeroshi Member Posts: 182
Some will say Heroes of might and magic others will Baldur's Gate, Maybe KOTOR rubbed you in the right way, or possibly your favorite is Final Fantasy 7
For me this took hours to decide, but i finally went with KOTOR 2 because it was the first game that made me feel like my choices mattered to the people and galaxy.
So which is your favorite, it didn't have to be mentioned above, heck you could recommend and underrated RPG for people to play.

Comments

• sparkleavsparkleav Member Posts: 871
    edited May 2016
    KOTOR was great! I'm one of those people that really love story and decision making within it, so anything that makes me feel involved and where you're choices matter is a great game. The Mass Effect trilogy, looking forward to trying out Andromeda. I loved Jade Empire and really wish they eventually make a sequel and also Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines, I've played all of them but that one's my favourite. BG and NWN of course otherwise I wouldn't be here :)
    Post edited by sparkleav on
  • fkirenicusfkirenicus Member Posts: 331
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,723
    Besides all the IE games, I can recommend Might and Magic 6, 7 and 8.

There're good russian RPGs which I loved back in the day, Konung: Legends of the North (which remids BG1 a bit) and Age of Pirates 2: City of Abandoned Ships.

From modern games, I can recommend and Witcher games, with Witcher 3 probably the best of the them.
  • fkirenicusfkirenicus Member Posts: 331
    bengoshi said:

Besides all the IE games, I can recommend Might and Magic 6, 7 and 8.

Hear, hear! MM7 in particular IMO.

• ArtonaArtona Member Posts: 1,077
    First Baldur's Gate. No other RPG gave me that impression of adventure, travelling in wilderness, where quest or encounter is in every corner. I also love low-level feel, where even sword +1 is a great treasure, and spells like lightning or fireball seem really powerful - something that only potent wizard can cast.
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    Enhanced Edition or not, Baldur's Gate 2. The game has just it's unique charm to it, something I just can't ignore. Also, BG2 is more focused than BG, and as such most areas in the game are holding some importance, instead of being big and mostly hollow. And dungeons are not chore to explore.

Aside to that, the Witcher III would be one of my favourite rpgs, even if my PC can barely manage the game. My liking to it is partially because I'm fan of mr Sapkowski's prose, partially because it's plot, character, choices to make and overall feeling of the world.

Now, there are many rpgs out there, and I still haven't played many (like Planescape: Torment or FF7). But I will do it someday. Eventually. Probably. Maybe.
  • justfeelinathomejustfeelinathome Member Posts: 353
    One of my favorites (it's really, really hard to decide actually, even if you use a narrow definition for RPG) is probably Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together (released on Super Famicom, Sega Saturn and Play Station, 2011 ported as sort of a Enhanced Edition on PSP). I strongly recommend the last one, since it got WAY less attention than it should have.

It is astonishingly complex for a game from 1995, both regarding combat and overall game design. While it is definitely challenging at times, its storyline and raging soundtrack made me blaze right through it and that's no small accomplishment considering that the game is very long and full of content.

Probably the safest bet is comparing it to Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions, since that's what part of the team went to work on afterwards. Just think of Tactics Ogre as its darker, more european cousin that has a branching storyline that forces you into real moral dilemmas and change a lot about how the story unfolds.

Because the game is hard, a feature was implemented to help you: You can revert time in combat an unlimited amount of times and take a different approach. If you can get your hands on either one of the originals, or a copy of the remaster on the PSN Store (runs on PSP and Vita, I think) I'd highly recommend giving it a try.

...just do yourself a favor and play with headphones, so that none of the epicness of the music goes to waste.

Honorable mentions go to: FF7, Valkyria Chronicles and the first Dragon Age game. NOT to any of the Baldur's Gate games, because they are probably why you are here. :wink:
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    @Vallmyr , I've never played Storms of Zehir, though I have it. When it was released, I just wasn't in the mood for an IWD style game where you have to create your own party. You just gave me an idea to create the Baldur's Gate canon party with a Charname (Minsc, Dynaheir, Khalid, Jaheira, and Imoen) and run them through SoZ. Uh oh. I hope this doesn't distract me from finishing SoD first.
  • Lezard_ValethLezard_Valeth Member Posts: 70
    Baldur's Gate 1 & 2, Oblivion, FFXI
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    My favourite RPG? OpenMorrowind.
    That new engine makes Morrowind sooo~ much better!
  • batoorbatoor Member Posts: 676
    I probably have more favorite moments from Planescape Torment and Mask of the betrayer overall, because they do such a kick-ass job of giving you several choices throughout all the different quests and so on. Linear or semi linear they might be, but with the writing and the choices that doesn't matter.

I don't think I can pick one favorite though.
  • iKrivetkoiKrivetko Member Posts: 934
    edited May 2016
    That's a tough question to answer. I can say that the NWNs and the BGs are on top of my list, but I can't pinpoint a winner. I love NWN2 for the character building, I still build characters as a pastime after all these years, and I don't want to repeat how much I adore MotB. NWN's SoU+HotU was probably the most satisfying campaign I have ever played through. BG series is… well, you know it yourself or you wouldn't be here.
    Post edited by iKrivetko on
  • FreyaFreya Member Posts: 28
    Yeah well I'm going to have the surprising answer here on the Beamdog forums but uh, Baldur's Gate was pretty good. =-)
  • BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 2,108
    edited May 2016
    It's hard for me to pick one, but the IE and NWN games are definitely among my favorites. Also The Elder Scrolls and (if one accepts them as RPGs) Dark Souls.
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    - Legend of Heroes VI: Trails in the Sky FC & SC
    - Baldur's Gate II
    - TES: Oblivion
    - Neverwinter Nights I
    - Jade Empire
    - Neverwinter Nights II

In semi-order of preference. These are not what I would call 'the best' RPGs, excepting no.1 which I highly recommend for anyone to play, but they've got a special place due to personal circumstances and I have very fond memories of them.
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520
    Besides the Baldur's Gate PC titles, of course, I also have a ton of love for JRPGs. I can't play them as much anymore because I just don't have the time, but they will always have a special place in my heart, being that they're what got me into games.

Some of my favorites are:

-Golden Sun and Golden Sun: The Lost Age
    -Tales of Symphonia
    -Tales of the Abyss
    -Fire Emblem: Awakening and Path of Radiance
    -Final Fantasy Tactics
    -Final Fantasy 9
    -Every Pokemon Game Ever
    -Persona 3

A lot of people don't like JRPGs because of their linear storylines, but I like the linearity. JRPGs, to me, are like living books. I don't mind diving into a story with a clear beginning, middle, and end so long as the story is good. :)

And more specifically, I LOVE tactical RPGs. There's a reason I have Fire Emblem and FF Tactics on the list. Chess-like gameplay with a plot and pieces who're real people and personalities? YES PLEASE!
  • ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    edited May 2016
    *Tries not to get angry about the definition of RPGs again*
    If we go by the "common" definition of RPG (not necessarily in that exact order):

1. Baldur's Gate 1 & 2
    2. Chrono Trigger
    3. Almost all of the main Pokémon games
    4. Neverwinter Nights 2
    5. Secret of Mana 1 & 2
    6. Borderlands 2
    7. Rune Factory 4
    8. Dragon Age Origins & Inquisition
    9. Icewind Dale 1 & 2
    10. Final Fantasy 9

PS: 11. Sacred 1
    Post edited by Buttercheese on
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,459

*Tries not to get angry about the definition of RPGs again*

OHHH YOU DO THIS, TOO!?

My friend is a diehard JRPG only player and I play both WRPGs and JRPGs but we get in debates all the time about what an RPG is.

BRB MAKING NEW TOPIC BECAUSE I LOVE THIS DEBATE.

On note, my top 10 list is

1. Neverwinter Nights 2 (As stated prior)
    2. Baldur's Gate:Enhanced Edition
    3. Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition
    4. Pillars of Eternity
    5. Final Fantasy Tactics
    6. Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition
    7. Neverwinter Nights
    8. Dragon Age: Origins
    9. Icewind Dale II
    10. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

I'm still trying out The Elder Scrolls series so I don't have any on there. The only game of the TES series I have beat is Arena and while I enjoy it I don't think it's in the top 10. Also this is under the assumption of "common definition of the rpg."

My personal definition is more controversial.
  • Clumsy_DwarfClumsy_Dwarf Member Posts: 112
    Fallout 3

On my first playthrough, I found out that the Lincoln Memorial was taken over by slavers. Being a History major, I snapped and killed them all with extreme prejudice. I was hooked :smile:
  • Mush_MushMush_Mush Member Posts: 476
    My favourite No.1 RPG ever is... BG1&2, PST, KOTOR, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, Entire Fallout series (minus BoS), System Shock 2, Deus Ex, Diablo 1,2&3 aaand Dragon Age Origins.

...What?...DON'T MAKE ME CHOOSE!
  • mf2112mf2112 Member, Moderator Posts: 1,919
    I am surprised no one has mentioned The Bard's Tale, but it is one of favorites. Cary Elwes plays the main role and it is hysterical throughout the game right up to and including the final three possible endings. Best 1.99 value game I have ever bought on Android.
  • Arsene_LupinArsene_Lupin Member Posts: 181
    Up until very, very, very recently (literally 2015) my list of favorite RPGs would have been populated by a lot of really old games. That's not the case any more.

Anyway, I've played way too damned many games to have just one favorite. I have several. In no particular order, they are:

Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn
    Chrono Trigger
    Dark Souls
    Dragon Quest 6
    Fallout 2
    Final Fantasy 7
    The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky + SC
    Suikoden 2
    Wild Arms 2
    The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

And that's after narrowing down my list to the absolute best--and then removing multiple entires in the same franchise, which is why there aren't four Final Fantasies, or a few extra Suikodens and Dragon Quests.
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    edited May 2016
    - Baldurs Gate saga
    - Final Fantasy 7 / Tactics
    - Fallouts (esp 1 + 2)
    - The Elder Scrolls (actually Daggerfall & Skyrim)
    - Shadowrun saga (Returns, Dragonfall, Hong-Kong)
    - Dungeon Master 1 (the original!)
    - Albion
    - Might & Magic games 7, 8 and 10.
    - Jagged Alliance 1 + 2 (I agree, that's more "tactical", than RPG)

@Nonnahswriter - tactical RPGs are great. Loved FFT. Is there any other game that can be played on PC that resembles the old FFT please?
    Post edited by Southpaw on
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    It's impossible to choose, since there are so, so many good ones you don't want to leave out. All the Infinity Engine games, the entire Might and Magic series, Ultima VII, the Soulsborne games. Final Fantasy III and Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy VII and X. Could go on forever.
  • justfeelinathomejustfeelinathome Member Posts: 353
    @Southpaw Have you tried The Banner Saga? While it was developed with mobile devices in mind (tablets mainly), it's still very playable on PC and the Soundtrack is also very good (Austin Wintory). Combat has a few interesting mechanics (the multiplayer aspect is downloadable for free on steam if you just wanna try out the combat). Setting and story wise it's set in a bleak northern environment, where you have to manage a caravan of survivors (often compared to the oregon trail). The visual style is... unique; love it or hate it.

Part 2 came out recently but I wasn't able to pick that up yet, though I plan to eventually do so. Enjoyed the first game quite a bit, even though it took me some time to manage finishing it as it isn't exactly fast paced.

Also this becomes more and more like a list of games I should have also mentioned. :smile: Wasn't thinking Soulsborne would count, but yeah... they definitely belong on my list!
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    For me it's a tough battle between FO2 and BG2, with BG2 prolly taking the lead. Then it's BG1 vs FO1, and again I think BG wins that battle as well, but it's close.

So, after those four magnificent games, there's a pretty huge drop down to the fifth position, and there we find: KotOR (the first one. The sequal was a disaster) and then the Mass Effect series, which just can't be played as single games. Then comes Witcher 2, haven't tried 3 yet but I think it will be great. So the list ends up something like this:

Outstanding games with infinite replaybility
    1: BG2
    2: FO2:
    3: BG1
    4: FO1

Amazing games which can be replayed a few times
    5: KotOR1
    6: Mass effect series

Great games
    7: Witcher 2
    8: NVN + SoU + HotU
    9: Skyrim (after mods)
    10: FO New Vegas (after mods)
  • ChnapyChnapy Member Posts: 360
    I've played plenty of good RPGs but until I find the perfect one my favourite is prolly going to be VtM : Bloodlines. The story's enthralling, the graphics aren't as bad as they look at first glance (ok so this is not encouraging, I know but really, your character ends up looking pretty cool with some stuff), it has so little bugs you wouldn't believe it's a Troïka game (understand : it's not downright unplayable), and the setting and characters are pretty damn cool.

The Kotors are nice too but I find that they both suffer from being compared to the other (what KotOR could have been with better graphics and possibly randomized loots, what KotOR2 could have been if it had actually been finished)
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    @justtravelinthrough - I do have Banner Saga on my Steam, but it played buggy on Linux on my old computer. I will keep it in mind and when I get a better comp (hopefully soon), I'll install it. Thanks.