Skip to content

Where can I find the 2DA files for BG:EE ?

I keep reading you can edit the tables, and I remember having a try at that in the OLD BG2 way back.
Not finding any 2da tables to edit/copy into override.

Searched my entire PC for 2da files, found nothing for 2da files pertaining to BG:EE
Searched Google, found a lot of garbage but nothing telling me where to find the files.
My idea is they must be into a huge library file somewhere and I just don't know where it is or how it's called.

I would try to unlock/create the missing multi-class specs such as Fighter/Cleric/Thief or Fighter/Mage/Druid.
If anyone could redirect me towards the appropriate file and how to extract/replace 2da tables from there, I would be very happy.

Thank you.

Comments

• smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    use nearinfinity to view or extract a copy
  • Francois42424Francois42424 Member Posts: 44
    Is nearinfinity a software I need to download from the web somewhere ?

Thanks.
    I downloaded, and opened the zip file. No executable ?
    Still looking but not having much luck.

Going to bed, will check thread tomorrow.
    Thanks for your help btw.
  • argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,431
    You need Java to run Near Infinity. Chances are that you already have Java installed on your system. In that case extract the NearInfinity.jar from the zip file and simply double-click on it to start NI. You can find out more in the Near Infinity Wiki.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Francois42424
  • FringewareFringeware Member Posts: 29
    edited May 2016
    While you can't directly create new class combos, due to hardcoding issues, you can simulate them fairly well with a combination of file editing and Keeper.

Fighter/Thief/Druid is easy. I've done it before. You just copy the contents of CLABD01 (the class abilities files that contains the druid's special class abilities) into the CLAB file of some other kit that you don't like and that isn't used by any NPC. You then make a normal F/M/C and use Keeper to give yourself the modded kit. The spells are trickier. Honestly, the easiest way is to just add the druid spells to your list with Keeper. The side effects are that your Druid portion uses the cleric xp table, and that you have turn undead. The first part doesn't bug me because I always modded the druid table to match the cleric table anyway, and the second part can be handled by just refraining from using turn undead.

Fighter/Cleric/Thief is trickier, but I've also done it. Make a F/M/T, and use Keeper to give him cleric spells. It's kind of funky, because the spells you add with keeper will show up on the priest scroll screen like normal, but they are greyed out and you can't modify them. But, they appear and are available for casting when you click on the cast button, and resting restores them normally. You have to use Keeper whenever you want to change your spells, though.

You could edit the spell files to make duplicate versions of all of the cleric spells and make them available to wizards. Then use Keeper to add these spells to your spell book. That's cleaner, but is more work. You'll also want to use Keeper to simulate the extra spells that clerics get relative to wizards.
    Francois42424
    That explains everything I needed to know.

It really is too bad that at this time and age you cannot just tell the game to mix a bit of Thief, Fighter, and Cleric and hit the "Make-it-so" button... (Which leads me to believe that our beloved multi-classes aren't really a mash-up of classes but rather a pre-built custom class with different eye candy to make it look like it's a triple class). I hate hard-coded mechanics in a BG-style game.

I may still experiment with the Ideas provided, but I guess I shall just give me extra spells while adjusting proficiencies and EXP (to simulate my third fighter class) every now and then. Every time I play BG2 it reminds me why I loved 2nd edition over everything elses (even with it's flaws that most of us "fix" in our 2nd ed campaigns).

Thanks guys.
  • FringewareFringeware Member Posts: 29
    That is exactly what it is like. If you go through the 2da files, you'll see that each multiclass combo is defined as a separate class.

Part of the reason BG is like this is because 2E D&D was like this. It was a weird system with lots of arbitrary restrictions.

The class I always wanted was a pure utility Mage/Cleric/Thief. You can kind of it do with modding and Keeper, but oh god is it ugly and there are lots of side effects.
  • balrog1balrog1 Member Posts: 2
    A bit late to the game, I am, but OP's question about where the 2da files for BGEE are located wasn't answered. Dual classing hacks sort of took over the discussion. I've looked in every folder and package contents but still can't find any 2da files. Hard drive search term 2da doesn't generate a single hit. Where on a Mac are the BGEE 2da files?
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    balrog1 said:

A bit late to the game, I am, but OP's question about where the 2da files for BGEE are located wasn't answered. Dual classing hacks sort of took over the discussion. I've looked in every folder and package contents but still can't find any 2da files. Hard drive search term 2da doesn't generate a single hit. Where on a Mac are the BGEE 2da files?

Use a program like Near Infinity to view them.
  • zeuszeus Member Posts: 3
    Just close the "OneDrive". Have a good time!