Skip to content

Great Battles with Serevok

The Serevok battle is hard. I always seem to resort to a tactic of picking off his team mates one by one and saving him for last.

I really don't have much of a tale to tell when it comes to how I beat BG. I scout ahead to take care of any traps. Get the mage to dimension door where the rest of my team is waiting. Lure and take out the other two team mates. Maybe instead, kite serevok while the rest of my team takes out the other two. Then focus my fire power on Serevok... It's so anti-climatic that post fight I have to kill all my team so that CHARNAME can say what a heroic battle it was.

So, to up my game a notch, I'm interested to hear some detail about other's triumphs over Serevok. What was the team composition and tactics employed? Difficulty level? SCS? Was it a close call or extremely easy doing it your way? Any insights into particular weaknesses? Any gripes about how they cheat? I noticed that tazok is not detectable by detect invisibility no matter how long my thief stands there.

links to prior descriptions and playthroughs welcome. Thanks.

Comments

• SirBatinceSirBatince Member Posts: 882
    Like vanilla, it's still possible to bait James, Angelo and Tazok into attacking you while keeping SArevok idle. All you gotta do is head out to the extreme top right part of the map until the mage auto casts domination. Tank it and use a ranged attack on him. All 3 will come out without SArevok.

Doing this allows you to leave the area to rest and it will also deplete the 2x stinkweb trigger. You can then 1vs1 him with no external factors.
  • FinnTheHumanFinnTheHuman Member Posts: 404
    @SirBatince, so this is what you typically do also? Ever a full party-on-party encounter? How'd that go?
  • CornCorn Member Posts: 2
    I usually play a fighter/paladin of some sort. Drink all the potions I have (strenght bonus/health etc). My party members do the same and I go straight for Seravok. Last time I hacked him to pieces in the blink of an eye.
  • ArtonaArtona Member Posts: 1,077
    Actually, SCS makes this battle much more epic by removing traps, and letting you have clash with bad guys... but adds some nasty sirprises.
    For me the biggest weakness of entire Sarevok's party is lack of any way to detect invisible. You can easily kill Semaj and Tazok, then go invisibile, and then kill Angelo and Sarevok.

I usually start with killing Semaj, then go for Angelo as soon as he appers, and keep Sarevok and Tazok occupied with summoned minions; I also never keep Tazok, so he's appearance in BG2 is more believable.
  • batoorbatoor Member Posts: 676
    I've gotten used to thinking of Tazoks ''death'' as him simply being grievously wounded and then made it away in the chaos. That battle is far from conclusive as there is no real aftermath, so even if I kill him I don't think it's illogical that he shows up in bg2^^
  • ArtonaArtona Member Posts: 1,077
    It's all the matter of headcannon, I guess ;). For me, after Semaj, Angelo and finally Sarevok are dead, he goes into shadows and flees, so I try really hard not to hurt too much.
  • Yulaw9460Yulaw9460 Member Posts: 634
    edited November 2018
    Deleted.
    Post edited by Yulaw9460 on
    Awsome @MacHurto, it sounds like they didn't stand a chance. Did they even get a spell off? I think Angelo likes to throw a dispell, were you able to avoid that?
  • MacHurtoMacHurto Member Posts: 731
    edited May 2016
    Can't remember :-/ Now that you mention I think he might have, on Charname, so I had to take another potion of speed. Does any of the magic blocking potions protect against dispel? What about the Scroll of protection? Dont think I used it but just to know. Everyone else was outside the blast radius, anyway.

In any case, the deciding factor was the unlimited HP pool provided by the goblet while running with a 135 HP charname (or more if DUHM was not dispelled).

And the fact that I play on core rules, I suppose :-D

Edit: I just checked my final save and he has a zillion icons on the portrait, so Angelo did not cast dispel magic or i resisted it.
    The one magic blocking potion will dispell some buffs itself. I don't know about the other one.
  • MacHurtoMacHurto Member Posts: 731
    I think it only does if you drink it after the buffs. If you drink it and then buff, it is ok. I learnt it at that battle, actually.
  • rapsam2003rapsam2003 Member Posts: 1,636
    I actually didn't bother with Sarevok's buddies. I buffed my party bigtime, and then I just focused down big S. I threw out some AoEs (because they happened to be the most damaging spells at that moment), but I mostly just whacked out the pain on him. His buddies are just distractions.
  • Yulaw9460Yulaw9460 Member Posts: 634
    edited November 2018
    Deleted.
    Post edited by Yulaw9460 on
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    Artona said:

I imagine one of my Bhaalspawns telling about his epic deed:
    - And then Dynaheir used wand of paralyzation on him and it worked.
    - And what then?!
    - What "what"? We cut him to pieces, of course.
    - ...just like that?
    - Yeah, what should we do? Wait until he recovers? But later that day I ended up in drinking contest with dwarven priestess of Tempus in Splurging Sturgeon - and that's a story...!

I like your style. Now that's a story worth telling
  • OUT51D3ROUT51D3R Member Posts: 20
    Played it solo on Core Rules with dual class Berserker/Thief. I stealthed in, and removed the traps. This initiated his conversation, but he didn't actually detect me.

Anyway, I buffed up with Berserk, DUHM, and Oil of Speed. Chunked Serevok pretty heavily with a backstab. Decided to ignore his lackeys and focus him down, which was the right choice. I did take a fair amount of damage, but he was down in the second round of attacks. Not sure I'd have won if the game didn't end on his death.
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    I usually have Kivan and he has to kill Tazok.

After that don't mind who kills what or how, it's just a job. But keeping Sarevok alive and occupied long enough to kill everything else is the challenge.

After that don't mind who kills what or how, it's just a job. But keeping Sarevok alive and occupied long enough to kill everything else is the challenge.

Is there some reason you do this? The game ends when Sarevok dies. Why bother with his fodder?

Artona said:

Is there some reason you do this? The game ends when Sarevok dies. Why bother with his fodder?
    Killiing Sarevok = fame and glory.
    Killing Sarevok and Tazok and Semaj and Angelo = worldwide fame, immortal glory.
    Lol, too bad the game doesn't care either way...
  • Abi_DalzimAbi_Dalzim Member Posts: 1,428
    edited May 2016

Angelo alone is almost 10000 xp IIRC, and the other two are 4000 apiece. Seems worth it to me if you're moving onto SOD or SOA. I don't quite understand the specifics, but the final battle seems to do funny things to the normal xp cap, too.
  • Eadwyn_G8keeperEadwyn_G8keeper Member Posts: 541
    edited May 2016
    Agree that having the game end so abruptly after killing Sarevok is a bit unsatisfying. There ought to be some unique item that exports to BG2 which can only be recovered [for some reason or other] after the whole party is killed. And a final summing-up encounter with the Grand Duke , Elminster or ???
    I see that picking off teammates is a popular strategy. I just finished the battle using a charm Serevok strategy, core rules. The team was Charname Berserker (Amu), Dorn, Edwin, Imoen, Branwen, and Coran. Buffed with haste, chant, protection from evil. Amu potion of magic shielding, berserk. Dorn: magic shielding, potion of clarity, poison weapon. Coran potion of heroism.

I wanted to use less metagame knowledge, especially knowing where Semaj would jump to. I group invis-ed the whole party, sent imoen ahead to disarm traps, and then gathered the troup along the left side of the Bhaal seal.

As soon as the battle started, edwin cast greater malaison, which missed Semaj. Angelo debuffed most of my team with his dispell magic, Greater Malaison from Selmaj. Imoen used Algernon's cloak to charm Serevok. It may not have worked, or i just missed that he was now under my control and he already was attacking Amu. Either way, Serevok got Amu down probably around half health before a dire charm from edwin took hold.

Before that happened, Dorn targeted Semaj, and the rest of the team focused on Angelo, who went down by the end of the round. Amu raced to Semaj, with Serevok following him in tow. Edwin got off the dire charm and Semaj cast Chaos, which effected Imoen, Branwen, and Dorn. Dorn continued hacking at semaj. Amu and Serevok joined in.

In came Tazok to the battle, killing imoen. Then woking on branwen. Edwin summoned some monsters to keep Tazok busy while Serevok and Amu came to Kill him. Dorn had followed them, and when the time came to target serevok, serevok cut Dorn down. But soon Serevok was dead.

All and all, a bit sloppy. Maybe next time I'll try to charm Angelo first before he can debuff the team. Kite serevok to semaj and focus on him before he can spread his chaos. All the while charming Serevok. Then have Serevoks cohort devour itself: tazok, then angelo, then Serevok.

Its more satisfying to kill them all. If the game didn't end so abruptly I would end up killing the lot of them anyway, just like every other team on team battle in the game.

For me it's actually a little surprising that some people don't save Serevok for last. I've been insisting on killing them all, for me its just a given part of the game that i practically forgot you can play another way. But hey, that's why i started this thread, to see the different ways this fight in particular was handled.
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147

Agree that having the game end so abruptly after killing Sarevok is a bit unsatisfying. There ought to be some unique item that exports to BG2 which can only be recovered [for some reason or other] after the whole party is killed. And a final summing-up encounter with the Grand Duke , Elminster or ???

I can't understand what the original developers were thinking, the game ends when you are literally in the middle of a fight, being attacked/attacking. Even the game seems to be confused, there's a few seconds hesitation then the writing comes up.

Must have been the pub opened or something and valuable drinking time was being wasted, or the electricity meter needed feeding.

I hate the fight for that reason, however well you manage it (sometimes everything goes to plan and you end without loss of a single hp or the opposite and lucky to survive), next thing "transported" away from this engrossing RPG. Unbelievably immersion breaking, you feel cheated.
  • jtthjtth Member Posts: 171

I can't understand what the original developers were thinking, the game ends when you are literally in the middle of a fight, being attacked/attacking. Even the game seems to be confused, there's a few seconds hesitation then the writing comes up.

Must have been the pub opened or something and valuable drinking time was being wasted, or the electricity meter needed feeding.

I hate the fight for that reason, however well you manage it (sometimes everything goes to plan and you end without loss of a single hp or the opposite and lucky to survive), next thing "transported" away from this engrossing RPG. Unbelievably immersion breaking, you feel cheated.
    There isn't a point for his lackeys to keep fighting.

Also, SCS makes it so you have to kill them first.
  • ArgasArgas Member Posts: 174
    got him at the third it was fun..had a pull first then recklessly killed the others...