Skip to content

It's a trap! Condensed guide to traps in BG1

MacHurtoMacHurto Member Posts: 731
Ok, so I am following Dudleyville/Gamesbanshee walkthrough and even if they tell you where the traps are, they don't say which kind of traps. I thought maybe we could make a thread writing down what kind of traps each of them is?

----
Nashkell Mines Lv3: All arrow traps (dmg 4-10) except the last one before the door to Lv4 which is 3x Magic Missile.
Post edited by MacHurto on
JuliusBorisovAerakarRavenslightBlackravenmonico

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    A very good idea, but it would be not so quick to gather all the information. The best variant would be to include screenshots with traps. If done, such a thread would be a gem!
    RavenslightBlackravenAerakar
  • SirBatinceSirBatince Member Posts: 882
    My mind frighteningly remembers most of them via muscle memory. Which one are you exactly looking for?
  • MacHurtoMacHurto Member Posts: 731
    edited May 2016
    Well, I envision it as a go-to place when you want to know which traps are there and how to step on them without risk. Mainly to help no-reload runs :-)

I will post them on the first message of the thread as I encounter them, but if you already know some, fire away :-)
    JuliusBorisovBlackravenmonico
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    It sounds... ambitious. Ambitious enough to get an enthusiastic start but then fizzle out part way through.
  • argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,431
    For a methodical approach you could write a WeiDU script that scans all available maps for trapped regions and containers and then use Near Infinity's Area Viewer to create screenshots of the relevant areas.
    JuliusBorisovlolien
    edited May 2016
    @argent77 Sure, if I knew how to do that ;-) Will be great if someone did something like that (similar :-to @Dyara ) and posted it! :-)

In the mean time, I will just post the ones I find on my no reload. I save before doing the map with traps and when I am done with it (which includes disarming them), I will just reload and step on them to see what happens.

@decado Agree. Putting it here has two objectives:

1) Maybe someone smarter than me can do this in a better way and post it for everyone.
    2) In 2-3 years, when I re-start my 2 year "I stop playing, I start again" cycle, I have an easy reference.

If it is just me updating this, it will likely only contain the traps for the critical path. Still useful for a solo no thief run, though :-)
  • DyaraDyara Member Posts: 25
    edited May 2016
    MacHurto said:

@argent77 Sure, if I knew how to do that ;-) Will be great if someone did something like that (similar :-to @Dyara ) and posted it! :-)

Well here's Durlag's Tower (part 1)...

Traps are written as 'Detect DC / Disarm DC - script name, [Unlock DC]'. Color is red for floor traps, orange for chest/door traps and yellow for locked chest/door traps. Maps contain much more information... shouldn't be too difficult to figure out.
    BlackravenJuliusBorisovSkatanMacHurto
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    I that you @Dyara? :wink: If so, nice seeing you here.
    And great stuff! I'm horrible with traps (what they do and where they are).
    JuliusBorisovDyaraMacHurto
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Welcome to the forum, @Dyara. It's always nice to see a long-time poster from bioware boards here. Especially when they come with so useful information!
    MacHurtoDyaraBlackravenlolien
    edited May 2016
    Some more maps (Black Alaric's Cave, Ulcaster, Ettercap Cave, Firewine Ruins and Nashkel Mines)...

As for what the traps actually do when triggered... I leave it to someone else to make a list (with NI this shoudn't be too difficult). Very often the effect can be guessed by the script name. 'MM' is magic missile, 'AR' is arrow (piercing damage), 'LB' is lightning bolt, 'FB' is fireball, ...
    MacHurtoJuliusBorisovGotural
    This is just pure awesomeness! Thanks @dyara
    JuliusBorisov
    And while there Bandit Camp tent, Cloakwood Nest, Cloakwood Mines, Helm of Balduran, Thieves' Guild and Gantolandan...

MacHurtoJuliusBorisovGoturallolien
    ... and finally Thieves' Maze and Temple of Bhaal...

This should cover nearly all of the traps in BG1 (enhanced edtion, without any mods and before any changes by scripts).

Wouldn't be complete without Spider Wood...

I guess only Candlekeep catacomb missing? :-)
    Dyara
    edited May 2016
    I thought I had posted them but obviously I hadn't... so here they are... Candlekeep Catacombs&Cave...

There's a trap on one chest in Beregost and a trap on painting in the BG city leading to Helm of Balduran.
  • ArthasArthas Member Posts: 1,091
    Are traps in bhaal temple supposed to be deactivable?
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    No
    JuliusBorisovlolien
    So you mean that I can't disarm them?
  • lolienlolien Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,108
    Yes
    ArthasJuliusBorisov
    Thanks. IS there a mod that changes that?
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    edited May 2019
    Arthas wrote: »
    So you mean that I can't disarm them?

Depends which traps you mean. The traps in the centre can't be disarmed, but there are traps at the side that can.

If you're feeling mean you can protect a character against magic damage and hop in and out of the traps in the centre to produce skull traps that kill enemies following.

If you're feeling even more mean you can trigger the lightning bolt repeating trap over and over again - killing Sarevok and all his party without ever coming into sight of them (even in LoB).

There are mods that change the traps. SCS has a component that removes them entirely, but also changes the final battle considerably as well.
    JuliusBorisovloliengorgonzola
    @Grond0 that's why I didn't meet these traps in the temple, even if I remembered otherwise. I had SCS! Thank you
    JuliusBorisovlolien
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Member Posts: 100
    Sorry to bump this older thread.

This thread is awesome and incredibly helpful...however I am curious how you know the "caster level" of traps, how much damage it's supposed to do.

As an example, the "blood drops" surrounding the skull in the Temple of Bhaal clearly state in the code of the script that it's a generic arrow trap (SPWI005.SPL), and it looks like it deals 2d6 damage. However, the skull itself casts the Skull Trap wizard spell (SPWI313.SPL), but with no apparent caster level associated with it. It's supposed to do 1d6 per caster level. How do you know its caster level?

I suppose I could just test it by running headfirst into the traps repeatedly and see how much damage it does...