Skip to content

Help me fix my game, please?

ramarootramaroot Member Posts: 3
I don't know how to mod. So I went for Big World to do the work for me and just went hog wild. No, I didn't know what I was doing. No, I didn't know that the game patches would break everything.

With the last 2.2 patch my mods all broke. I reinstalled them, but it looks like the dialog.tlk has been shifted or something. Several NPC names are now what appears to be lines of dialog. Some monsters are now paragraphs of what looks like an NPC bio. Journal entries are all borked.

Also I'm now getting an interesting phenomenon where, in some areas of the world, monsters continually spawn. I don't know if they ever stop as I error out due to the immense amount of monsters spawning or the game slows to an impossible crawl, or I need to escape the area because there are hundreds of monsters trying to attack me. Maybe it's trying to make the odds more even by throwing ten thousand orcs at me (take that, Drizzt). I don't know. All I know is the game as it stands is nearly unplayable. I'd be alright with a few weird name glitches, but my journal entries are all borked, npcs from mods are all borked, and all my good and neutral aligned npcs are warning me they're going to leave and they won't tolerate any more bad behavio, but my reputation is 16. It dropped to 3 inexplicably one time and I hadn't killed anyone that didn't deserve it. Unless finishing Dorn's quest drops your reputation from 20 to 3?

I really, really, REALLY don't want to start over again. Can my game be salvaged? I'm hoping that maybe I can just...I dunno add some line breaks in the dialog.tlk?

I have EditPlus. I looked at NearInfinity and WeDui but my eyes crossed and I remain ignorant. (It's a medical condition; anything resembling scripting makes it impossible for me to focus.)

Comments

• AquadrizztAquadrizzt Member Posts: 1,065
    edited May 2016
    If you updated in the middle of a playthrough, then that playthrough is likely irrevocably broken.

Whenever you update your game or install mods, you should start a fresh playthrough. Otherwise, you may encounter weird behavior such as the dialog issues you've encountered.

It will likely be much less work for you to restart your playthrough (after properly refreshing your install and then reinstalling all of your mods) than it would be to attempt to salvage the entangled mess that is the dialog.tlk file for your installation as it stands.
  • ramarootramaroot Member Posts: 3
    Baaaaaaaaalllllllllsssssssssssss. Well I want to get the expansion at some point. Guess when I get it I'll start my new play through.

Playing as a wild sorcerer is amazingly fun and infuriating.
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    I've found it's best to leave the default installation pristine (i.e. without mods). Then copy that installation, mod it, and play on that. Then when the updates come, they only affect the default game and don't mess up your current playthrough.
  • mashedtatersmashedtaters Member Posts: 2,266
    BillyYank said:

I've found it's best to leave the default installation pristine (i.e. without mods). Then copy that installation, mod it, and play on that. Then when the updates come, they only affect the default game and don't mess up your current playthrough.

@ramaroot
    This is definitely the way to go! Listen to the wise and saged advice of @BillyYank! (See his avatar? Doesn't it look wise?)

Unfortunately, your game is unsalvageable. Do not try to fix it, you will just waste more time. Delete dialogue.tlk and chitin.key (I'm guessing you didn't make a backup of those) and your override folder then re-install with the beamdog client (I say delete the override folder because the beamdog client doesn't always delete the override folder and everything in it every time). After the client does its install (which may take a while because you deleted dlg.tlk and chitin.key) make a copy of your game directory in another location. Keep that as a backup and do not mod it in case you don't like an update...this will ensure you can always re-do if you screw something up in the future (I have done that, so I know). Then make another copy in a new location and mod and play that game. It's a good idea to make a new copy of the each major update that comes out, but you don't have to if you are not experiencing anything game breaking.

Also, it would benefit you to learn how to mod without the bwp. Bwp is not always stable. I find modding this game to be fairly easy. There are tons of guides out there. Just make sure you install them in the same order as the bwp does, and you should be fine.