Skip to content

Why i like Baldur's Gate + Totsc more than BG:EE

XeroshiXeroshi Member Posts: 182
edited June 2016 in Off-Topic
No offense to beamdog or any of the games new players
1. I find the game to have this charm none of the other alternatives (BG:EE, BGT, BGTUTU) have
2. i have a very high nostalgia factor for the game
3. I find that BG + Totsc is more challenging
4. i like the stone interface more
And nothing will ever compare (to me) to installing games via disc
But this is just my silly personal opinion so take it with a pinch of salt
Post edited by Xeroshi on
ErgRavenslightMagpieRandomsLilura

Comments

• smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    Didn't you just post you don't have hardware to install BGEE?
    modestvoltaiKrivetko
  • XeroshiXeroshi Member Posts: 182
    edited June 2016

Didn't you just post you don't have hardware to install BGEE?

I can install BG:EE just after the 2.1 update it began lagging severely and had to take it off my computer but i did experience enough of the game to form an opinion
  • iKrivetkoiKrivetko Member Posts: 934
    >i have a very high nostalgia factor for the game
    >It was my first non-ultima Pc game

How are these two different?

>i like the stone interface more

Agreed
    iKrivetko said:

>i have a very high nostalgia factor for the game
    >It was my first non-ultima Pc game

How are these two different

Now that you point it out it was being a bit redundant
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    The only thing that I can agree with OP on in this topic is that Baldur's Gate + ToTSC has certain charm for it. But in general, I consider EE's superior. Regarding difficulty, nothing has changed in EEs - you just have more kits, classes, spells and items to play with. That's all there is to it.

And fighting against dragons in BG2:EE is actually harder, since their remove magic abillity works properly now.
    Aerakarmf2112smeagolheart
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    "And nothing will ever compare (to me) to installing games via disc"

Agree wholeheartedly - downloading something I can't see, touch or store on a bookshelf just doesn't give any sense of ownership.
    Ravenslightsarevok57gorgonzola
  • modestvoltamodestvolta Member Posts: 107
    I'm not saying this to be confrontational, but I genuinely don't understand the point of this post. There's really nothing to discuss. The OP doesn't like things about the EE that the originals delivered, such as the nostalgia of the old games or installing via disc. The EE can't replicate the nostalgia (well, maybe in 20 years). I don't understand the charm part of the post. They're the same game as far as writing and setting is concerned...

Maybe the original is more challenging? I don't remember. I think a lot of the challenge comes from the limitations of the original engine (no pausing on inventory screen for example).

What I'm getting at is there's nothing the developers can do to make this poster happy, so I don't understand starting a topic about it.

I'm not saying this to be confrontational, but I genuinely don't understand the point of this post. There's really nothing to discuss. The OP doesn't like things about the EE that the originals delivered, such as the nostalgia of the old games or installing via disc. The EE can't replicate the nostalgia (well, maybe in 20 years). I don't understand the charm part of the post. They're the same game as far as writing and setting is concerned...

Maybe the original is more challenging? I don't remember. I think a lot of the challenge comes from the limitations of the original engine (no pausing on inventory screen for example).

What I'm getting at is there's nothing the developers can do to make this poster happy, so I don't understand starting a topic about it.

I just made this post to say it i dont know i was bored and wanted to say my opinion and im glad beamdog can bring back this game for a new generation but i'll be fine with my disc set
    Ravenslight
  • TStaelTStael Member Posts: 861
    @Xeroshi - no offense taken, because BG love should be generous, and true, right?

I meanwhile got as a gift the EE BG2 to my well dear and rare friend - because I think this would be the best game to introduce her into gaming.

She likes is thus far, and it is more than a mediocre pleasure to discuss our gameplay. She chose the same PC pic and "sassy voice" as me!
    Ravenslightgorgonzola
  • ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    edited June 2016
    Xeroshi said:

i like the stone interface more

Me too.

I prefer EasyTutu to vanilla BG1, but I like the stone interface more, so I use a mod to restore it.
    Ravenslight
    TStael said:

@Xeroshi - no offense taken, because BG love should be generous, and true, right?

I meanwhile got as a gift the EE BG2 to my well dear and rare friend - because I think this would be the best game to introduce her into gaming.

She likes is thus far, and it is more than a mediocre pleasure to discuss our gameplay. She chose the same PC pic and "sassy voice" as me!

That's great! I'm glad you were able to introduce someone to this great series
    TStaelRavenslight
  • RavenslightRavenslight Member Posts: 1,609
    I enjoy hearing other peoples opinions of the different versions of the games. Though I myself am playing on the EE editions at the moment, I know I will be dragging out my boxed sets and disks again. I too really miss the old stone interface.

@Erg

I loved playing the EasyTutu version as well. I must have missed the mod that restored the old stone interface though. Would you mind telling me where I might find that for future use?
    ErgMagpieRandoms
  • ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756

I loved playing the EasyTutu version as well. I must have missed the mod that restored the old stone interface though. Would you mind telling me where I might find that for future use?

Sure.

The mod is "Original BG1 GUI" by LadeJarl. It is the first download in this page.

N.B. If you are using also the Widescreen mod, the GUI must be installed before the Widescreen mod and you have to select the optional component "Support for The Biggs widescreen mod".
    Ravenslightdunbar
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    @Pecca I've been thinking about this for a while. Would you consider to make an effortc to replicate original BG1 stone interface, let's say as an optional component of your GUI Overhaul? It seems there's a great nostalgia lingering on these forums for vanilla looks.
    Ravenslight
  • TStaelTStael Member Posts: 861
    Xeroshi said:

That's great! I'm glad you were able to introduce someone to this great series

Indeed. I mainly have to hold myself back to allow my rare and fine friend her own independent gaming experience with BG 2. I'd not have gotten her started with BG. She might evolve there, maybe.
  • RavenslightRavenslight Member Posts: 1,609
    Oh that’s cool! I’m glad it works with the widescreen mod as I like to have my screen as big as possible.

Thank you @Erg :)
    Erg
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    While I definitely like BG:EE more, I do go back to the original Tales of the Sword Coast occasionally. It has a few things that none of the EEs have:

*The original PC animations. The only reason why I like them is because I've seen the newer animations SO much (by this point I've been seeing the newer animations for much longer than the old ones). I'm just not used to the old animations, so they're refreshing even though they don't look that good.
    *The original UI and menus. Once again, they're not necessarily better, just different.
    *The original spellcasting sounds. I definitely prefer these to the new spellcasting sounds. The old sounds, particularly the Abjuration ones, have a very twisted kind of sound which I really like. It's what I'd expect a magical incantation to sound like.
    *The lack of a summoning limit, and the old summoning spells which could summon lots and lots of creatures. Those spells, especially Animate Dead, were kind of broken but really fun, especially if you had a team of six spellcasters who could cast them.
    *Various little things, like the fact that mages can cast Dimension Door (I understand why they removed it but it can still be fun to use on certain characters), and the fact that people would say their quote when you click on them to go talk to them, rather than when you talk to them (it's kind of awkward to explain).
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    edited August 2016
    dunbar said:

"And nothing will ever compare (to me) to installing games via disc"

Agree wholeheartedly - downloading something I can't see, touch or store on a bookshelf just doesn't give any sense of ownership.

Physical media was often a pain in the ar$e. I remember when Windows95 came on 13 floppies, and Office was something like 30. Installing software meant sitting there, shuffling floppies. And God help you if you got to disk 11 of 13 when installing Windows95 and had a disk read error come up. :wink:
    gorgonzola
  • MagpieRandomsMagpieRandoms Member Posts: 72
    One of the few things that I miss is abusing summoning spells when I was bored and having like eight hasted polar bears killing everything in sight
    Loldrup