Skip to content

I need something new to play...

XeroshiXeroshi Member Posts: 182
I'm sure most of us have fallen into that pit of not wanting to even see Baldur's Gate's title screen. Currently im in this pit and i really need a good old game to play. System specs at the bottom. I am open to dos and old Point and Clicks. I just really want a new world to invest myself in
[Deleted User]

Comments

• CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    @Xeroshi Everytime I'm in one of those pits, I fire up Planescape Torment for the umpteenth time :D Never tired of it.
    [Deleted User]CrevsDaak
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    When I want to "clear my palette" of the IE games, I usually play one of the Civilization games, IV, V or Alpha-Centauri.

Or I go fishing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited June 2016
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ArtonaArtona Member Posts: 1,077
    I suggest Heroes 3.
    JuliusBorisov
  • XeroshiXeroshi Member Posts: 182
    Shandyr said:

Haha! Lol for adding DxDiag! Nice ;)

Let's see.. I would recommend Quest for Glory, or any of the old Sierra games for that matter.

However Quest for Glory was unique at its time for combining a role playing game and and adventure game.
    Depending on your class you solve problems very differently.

I had a lot of fun with Quest for Glory! The story did suck me in, best part is the 4th part.
    Sadly the series ends not so well. A fate a lot of the old Sierra game series met.

The 5th part was said to be rushed and I think was received not so well.
    So I actually stopped after part 4. But I can recommend part 1 to 4 very very much!

If you do not know already the Quest for Glory series, and you do like adventure games and RPGs,
    then you miss something out if you dont play this ;)

(Haha! Notice how they say "Play Quest for Glory 1in STUNNING 256 color VGA..." Guess the times have changed quite a bit xD)

Ha ha definitely has that old sierra charm I'll check it out
  • XeroshiXeroshi Member Posts: 182
    Artona said:

I suggest Heroes 3.

looks fun ill try it
  • ArtonaArtona Member Posts: 1,077
    I really recommend it; it's not considered to be one of the most "playable" games with no good reason. ;)
    Also other game - Diablo 2. It's simple as hell, but really solid and really fun.
    JuliusBorisovCrevsDaak
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    Old game with a world to invest yourself in?

I'd suggest
    - Might & Magic 6, 7 or 8 (graphical interface gets better with rising number, esp 7 and 8) - good, huge oldschool first-person-view party RPG (a modern take on this - M&M X came out some time ago and did well too)
    - Shadowrun (any of the three - Returns, Dragonfall, Hongkong) - recent isometric, cyberpunk RPG
    - Morrowind / Oblivion / Skyrim - first-person-view solo RPG
    - Heroes of Might and Magic 3 - strategy, not RPG, but old and gold
    - Wizardry 8 - old party-RPG-tactical fights gem. Also - very hard.
    JuliusBorisovAerakar
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited June 2016
    If you've never played NOX I highly recommend it. Its a diablo clone but I loved it when it first came out (though I'll admit I haven't played it in a long time).

Intro (word of warning the ending videos play automatically right after this video)

https://www.gog.com/game/nox

its also currently 75% off on GoG
    mf2112Aerakar
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    If you want something old school, I would recommend thr Gold Box Pool of Radiance games. Still D&D but definitely not Infiniti Engine. Very addictive and loads of fun.
    Aerakar
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    I recommend Realmz if you want your eyes to bleed. But it can be fun for an afternoon. https://fantasoft.powweb.com/realmzdivinity.html

My brother and I played that game nonstop for an entire summer back in the late 90s.
    elminsterAerakar
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    Any of Might and Magic 3: Isles of Terra, Might and Magic: World of Xeen or Might and Magic 6: The Mandate of Heaven.
  • ArgasArgas Member Posts: 174
    I could run medieval total war I think it was part 2 on a refurbished laptop with winxp
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    edited June 2016

If you want something old school, I would recommend thr Gold Box Pool of Radiance games. Still D&D but definitely not Infiniti Engine. Very addictive and loads of fun.

I wish they'd (someoned) ee the gold box games. The graphics sucked, imho, even back in the day, I couldnt get into them dress them up a little and I'd give them a try.
    Aerakar
    I think that someone actually did Pool of Radiance in NWN 2 a while back. Not sure if that helps.
    Xeroshi
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850

I think that someone actually did Pool of Radiance in NWN 2 a while back. Not sure if that helps.

They did actually....also worth mentioning Pook of Radiance has a much more tedious UI than later titles.
  • batoorbatoor Member Posts: 676
    edited June 2016
    If you're going for Heroes 3 I wouldn't recommend the HD edition from ubisoft, since they lost the source code for Armageddons blade and Shadow of Death..So you will be missing out on both of the expansions.

Fair warning for anyone who's mostly interested in the campaigns and singleplayer.
  • IgnatiusReillyIgnatiusReilly Member Posts: 28
    On the theme of D&D, I'd recommend The Temple of Elemental Evil. It's the most faithful adapation of D&D 3rd Edition rules to a PC game, and I dare say it's probably the closest you'll get to an actual tabletop experience.

Of course, the game was released in a notoriously buggy state, so you'll have to install the Circle of Eight modpack, which fixes most of the pressing issues.
    Aerakarthe_spyder
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    My tabletop seasons are much less tedious than ToEE.

My suggestion: Banner Saga.
  • batoorbatoor Member Posts: 676
    https://www.gog.com/game/lands_of_lore_1_2

The first one specifically I remember from when I was a kid and I revisit it occasionally. I haven't tried lands of lore 2 yet.

They did actually....also worth mentioning Pook of Radiance has a much more tedious UI than later titles.
    Pook of Radiance. I forgot about that one. So much fun.....

On the theme of D&D, I'd recommend The Temple of Elemental Evil. It's the most faithful adapation of D&D 3rd Edition rules to a PC game, and I dare say it's probably the closest you'll get to an actual tabletop experience.

Of course, the game was released in a notoriously buggy state, so you'll have to install the Circle of Eight modpack, which fixes most of the pressing issues.

This 1000% this. ToEE is hands down one of my all time favorite games. As stated it came out buggy as all heck, but the Co8 patches over the years have done wonders for the game. The most faithful adaptation of D&D rules that I've ever played and so much fun.

• VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,457
    elminster said:

If you've never played NOX I highly recommend it. Its a diablo clone but I loved it when it first came out (though I'll admit I haven't played it in a long time).

Intro (word of warning the ending videos play automatically right after this video)

https://www.gog.com/game/nox

its also currently 75% off on GoG

Nox is free on Origin right actually~
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    Yeah, I've had loads of fun playing Nox back in the day. Great game.
  • DungeonnoobDungeonnoob Member Posts: 315
    World of Tanks Blitz,i did well up to tier 8 without spending any money at all,good fun.