Skip to content

Improve improved journal?

rede9rede9 Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 1,947
edited June 2016 in Feature Requests
I'm trying to play BG2ee with the new journal, but it is uncomfortable. I can't even hide the completed missions.

Is it possible at least use different colored texts (I can hardly distinguish white from grey) or different colored arrows (one color for currently missions, one for completed missions; or one for higher layer, one for lower layer of a mission).

You know, just to relax the sight.

Comments

• RatatoskrRatatoskr Member Posts: 711
    I'd like to second this. The new journal is driving me nuts. If we could at least have different tabs for open and done quests (or a way to sort them), that would make it so much better.

Although, I hope you're planning on improvements anyway since my journal seems to be glitchy as heck.
  • Mr2150Mr2150 Member Posts: 1,170
    edited June 2016
    Can one of you guys send me a save game I can test this with please @rede9 @Ratatoskr589 ?

rede9
    edited June 2016
    Here's one of mine. I wasn't sure what part you needed so I just attached the whole folder.

I should also reiterate that my journal seems to be glitchy. Nothing that I write in gets saved properly and some pop ups notification don't seem to appear in the actual journal, but I'm not sure if those are known bugs or not. The tweak mods I have installed shouldn't affect the journal in any way.

Also, now that the image has loaded, yours looks infinitely better already.
    Are you using v2.2 or v2.3 ?

The journal is known for being glitch - not all items go in there... this little mod doesn't impact anything you've written in there. Just the quests...
    Sorry, it's 2.3. I literally just bought it off Gog this week so it should be the newest version.
    edited June 2016
    OK great...

Have you installed any UI mods previously, if not just slip the UI.menu in this zip into your override...

If you have, I will need to talk you through the process to manually edit it.

This version is compatible with v2.3 of BG2EE...
    UI.zip 66.5K
    Nope, I'm UI Mod free, mostly because I can't get edit mode to work.

And thank you, I just tried it and that looks amazing. Hopefully they'll put something similar into the official game at some point, but until then, I will be be using this.
    Mr2150
    Glad you like... that other pic was an early screenshot, the version you have is a lot nicer :D
  • rede9rede9 Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 1,947
    edited June 2016
    Mr2150 said:

Can one of you guys send me a save game I can test this with please @rede9 @Ratatoskr589 ?

What is THAT Journal? Mine is different (with patch 2.3).

Did you just update to version 2.3 @rede9 ?
    edited June 2016
    Yes, I updated (no mod installed). Should I reinstall the game (a 2.3 vanilla) istead?
    @Mr2150
    Quick question. Would I be able to copy the journal portion of your UI.Menu over to the first BGEE as is or would I need to make changes? I'd like to use it there as well.
    edited June 2016
    OK... @rede9 , if you have no mods installed, I'm confused by what all those numbers are...

It looks like it is corrupted - unless anyone else has an idea...
    @Ratatoskr589 - for BGEE I recommend the mod by @Pecca found here...

Whilst mine is quick fix, his does this and a WHOLE lot more for BGEE...

Mr2150 said:

OK... @rede9 , if you have no mods installed, I'm confused by what all those numbers are...

It looks like it is corrupted - unless anyone else has an idea...

I've the numbers of strings enables. It's okay. But I don't have ALL/ACTIVE/FINISHED!
    Aha... so that's what my quick-fix mod does... it adds those in so you can filter all the quests...

rede9
    You are using Italian language yes?
    rede9
    If you can let me know what the Italian for 'All' and 'Active' is ... I will make an Italian version for you.
    rede9
    edited June 2016
    Mr2150 said:

If you can let me know what the Italian for 'All' and 'Active' is ... I will make an Italian version for you.

ALL = Tutte. ACTIVE = Attive. FINISHED = Completate.
    Mr2150
    edited June 2016
    Here you go... this should work - if you have any problems, let me know.

Edit: Removed this file as there was a typo - see version below.
    rede9
    edited June 2016
    SLURP.

But there is written "completata" (feminine singular) even above istead of "completate" (feminine plural).
    My bad... I will send a new file.
    Here you go:
    JuliusBorisov
    You save my day.
    Mr2150
    I'm glad you like ... as I say, it's just a hotfix but it works and makes it easy to use the journal...
  • ParysParys Member Posts: 205
    @Mr215
    Could you tell me what text lines in UI file should i replace to make a journal improving?
    Hi @Parys I will be releasing this as a full stand-alone mod very shortly. Curerntly I have completed the BGEE+SOD version for release and I'm working on the other versions (BGEE, BG2EE) so if you can wait a couple more days you will get the full release (with a couple of bug fixes) and some extra features!
    ParysJuliusBorisov
    edited June 2016
    New features:
    - As well as filtering by ALL, Active, Completed quests...
    - Language support for multiple languages
    - Changed layout.
    - Filter journal by 'My Notes'
    - When editing default journal notes, it will indicate that it has been edited
    - Notes can be added sequentially over time, so that you can update several times, and keep track of each change
    - Added a 'close all' button for quests to cascade the opened quests.
    - Go from textflash pop-up notification direct to the specific quest
    Post edited by Mr2150 on
    JuliusBorisovmf2112
    @Mr2150 Definitely looking forward to this mod for both games. Maybe adding custom journal notes will finally work for me.

I assume we'll need to edit the UI.Menu again; do you think your instructions will still make sense with the journal changes you've already made to mine? It took a while to get your picture chooser and an improved store screen working for BG2EE and I really don't want to start from the default UI.Menu again.

Also, for the filtering, is there a way to change the default choice on your new mod or the one you gave me? I'd rather have active be the automatic one, though that's not a big deal.