Skip to content

[WeiDU Mod] Silver Staff of Aule

Comments

• ALIENALIEN Member Posts: 1,270
    @Erg Please include @AstroBryGuy fix directly inside you mod package.
  • ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    ALIEN said:

Please include AstroBryGuy fix directly inside you mod package.

@ALIEN,

OK, I'll do it, but it can take some time as I'm currently busy and the fix is not so straightforward.

In fact, for versions other than BG:EE, I'll have to write code to detect if the Beta Component of the BG2 Fixpack is installed or not.
  • ALIENALIEN Member Posts: 1,270
    edited December 2015
    @Erg Great, how about my previous message?
    ALIEN said:

@Erg To be able to add you mod to BWS, please fill this template: http://www.shsforums.net/topic/58006-bws-mod-request-template/

Thanks!

ALIEN said:

Erg Great, how about my previous message?

@ALIEN,

The only problem with the template is that my download link currently changes when uploading a new version.

When I'm done updating the mod, I will send you a PM to discuss which are the options to avoid that.
    edited May 2016
    I'm finally updating this mod, with only five months delay :)

In particular, I would be grateful if @Cahir or some other Polish speaking person could check if the translation in the following pictures is OK (especially the sentence highlighted in red):

I would be even more grateful is someone could translate in Polish the additional strings and the setup.tra in the zipped file attached below.

Thanks in advance
    Aedan
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    @Erg don't worry I'll handle everything. Let you know when it's done.
    Erg
  • TheMetaphysicianTheMetaphysician Member Posts: 76
    What should I do if I want to use this with Item Revisions? Should I install it before or after IR? Or is it even compatible at all?

What should I do if I want to use this with Item Revisions? Should I install it before or after IR? Or is it even compatible at all?

I'll check and let you know for sure.

However, if I have to guess, it will likely be incompatible on BGT, but it should be compatible on the other platforms (vanilla, tutu and BGEE), if you install my mod last and maybe even the other way round. Only issue I can think of is description not fully reflecting the actual properties of the staff.

Anyway, I'll post here my findings after testing with IR.
    Thanks for checking! I'm using bgee with sod from beamdog.
    edited May 2016
    @TheMetaphysician,

First of all, I'm currently working on a major update of my mod, so you should wait anyway for its release.

That said, I've checked potential issues with IR.

On BGT, the mods are incompatible in the sense that the last one installed will override all the changes from the other one, but they can still be used together, if you are OK with that.

On BGEE (with or without SOD) and Tutu they will work fine together, if you install my mod after IR, but the description will not fully reflect the actual properties of the staff.

For example, IR decreases the staff THAC0 by 1, so if you install both mods (with my mod last), the actual THAC0 will be 2, +3 vs. Lycanthropes, but the description will still say 3, +4 vs. Lycanthropes, etc.

Also the new properties added by IR, like Parry: +2 bonus to AC (none vs. missile), etc. will be present, but not shown on the staff description.

I may be able to fix the description (I'm already using regular expressions to replace strings, so I could add a few more) and make the mods fully compatible. I will let you know if it worked when the new version is released.
    Erg, I really appreciate the quick response and the effort. Do you have an ETA for the new mod release? I would like to take your advice and wait for it.
    I hope to be able to release it in a few days. Maybe by the end of the week, but it's hard to tell in advance.
    edited May 2016
    Version 9.0 released with the following important changes:

1) Fixed a nasty bug caused by changes introduced by one of the official BGEE patches (many thanks to @AstroBryGuy for providing an early fix for the same issue)

2) Added an optional component to select an alternate icon for the staff. You can choose one of the following:

Icon N. 1 by @CrevsDaak             (default)

Icon N. 2 by @CrevsDaak      

Icon of the Staff of Striking      

3) On BG:EE the mod now adds to the staff the new opcode 344 (Enchantment vs. Creature Type)

Full changelog:
    The staff no longer hurts its wielder on patched games
    Name of the mod changed to "Silver Staff of Aule"
    Added optional component to select alternate BAM icons
    Added bonus to enchantment vs. lycanthropes (BGEE only)
    The mod is now fully traified
    Italian translation improved
    Polish translation improved by Cahir
    Revised installation instructions
    Several other minor improvements
    Updated WeiDU to version 239
    The mod is now hosted on GitHub

This version is stable and safe, but still not fully compatible with mods like Item Revision.

@TheMetaphysician, I'm working already on a new version with full IR compatibility, but it may take some time to complete and test. If you are interested, I could provide you with an early beta version as soon as I'm sure it works at least for the English version of BG:EE (I could add support for the other languages and platforms at a later stage.)
    AstroBryGuyAedanCahirCrevsDaak
    edited May 2016
    Sure, I'm interested. I like the new icon. I'm installing stuff right now, planning on playing this weekend, so I might just install what you have and not worry about the description right now. Then I can reinstall when you finish.

Again, cool mod.
    Erg
    @TheMetaphysician,

try the version attached below.

v10.0 BETA works only on the English version of BG:EE (for now), but it is fully compatible with IR, if you install my mod after IR. It should also be compatible with almost every other mod altering the same item.

The staff will have properties added/modified by both mods and the description will be updated automatically to reflect this:

Alternatively you can follow the instructions in the ReadMe of IR to disable IR modification for just this staff. If you do so, the staff properties will be the following:

Feel free to choose the modification that you like the most :)
    Alright, I installed it! I already had SCS and TweaksAnthology installed, so I just installed it after them. Hopefully that's ok. I like the composite IR version -- the Parry thing is cool -- so that's what I went with. Thanks!

Alright, I installed it! I already had SCS and TweaksAnthology installed, so I just installed it after them. Hopefully that's ok. I like the composite IR version -- the Parry thing is cool -- so that's what I went with. Thanks!

Yes, it should be fine to install it after SCS and TweaksAnthology.
  • RatatoskrRatatoskr Member Posts: 711
    I'm not sure why, but installing this mod on version 1.3 seems to break the Gavin NPC mod and crash the game at the Beregost Temple. Unfortunately, I don't have those logs any more, but it's at least an FYI for anyone who was thinking of using both.
    Erg
    @Ratatoskr589,

my mod only affects one item and I really don't see how it can be incompatible with Gavin. Regardless, I've tested it anyway and it works fine for me. In my case it is BG:EE 2.3, but it should work on 1.3 too, there is no reason why it should not work.

I can't reproduce your problem. If you can, please provide your WeiDU.log and both files SETUP-SILVER_STAFF_OF_AULE.DEBUG and SETUP-GAVIN.DEBUG and I will investigate further, even though it doesn't make any sense :)
    @Erg Next time I do a clean install, I'll try to reproduce it. I agree it makes no sense, but removing the Silver Staff made Gavin stop crashing my game. It's possible that there was some weird interaction between those two and one of my other mods since I have far too many at this point.
    Erg

It's possible that there was some weird interaction between those two and one of my other mods since I have far too many at this point.

@Ratatoskr589,

I'm pretty sure there is no interaction whatsoever between my mod and Gavin. I double checked and none of the files modified by Gavin is touched by my mod and viceversa.

Weird interactions between my mod and other unspecified mods are also unlikely to cause crashes (but I cannot be entirely sure without knowing which mods are those). In case of incompatibilities, the worst that should happen, with the current version, is that the staff's description may not reflect its actual properties, but I'm already working on an update that will address also this issue.

However, as I said, I'm willing to further investigate the matter, so I would like to ask you few questions:

1) were you playing in English or in another language ?
    2) when were you experiencing the crashes ? During dialogues, on entering the Temple area or something else ?
    3) were the crashes consistently happening in the same circumstances or they were kind of random?
    4) did you have the silver staff in inventory ? Did you have it equipped ?
    5) was Gavin in your party ?

That's all I got for now, feel free to add anything that you remember and that you think it may be of interest.
    @Erg To answer your question:
    1) Playing in English
    2/3) The game always crashed when I got near the Beregost Temple entrance (the actual temple in the map) where Gavin was standing
    4) I hadn't even made it to Ulgoth's Beard yet, so no staff
    5) Gavin was not in my party since getting near him made me crash.

If you're curious, I can give you a rough list of the other mods I had at the time since they're similar to what I'm playing with now. But I could install Gavin or the Staff separately without the game crashing. It was only when I added both that it stopped working.

Also, I don't think I ever tried installing Gavin before the staff; I think I only installed him after.
    Erg
    @Ratatoskr589,

First of all, I owe you an apology, because I've almost dismissed your claim as nonsensical, but you were right and I've finally managed to reproduce the problem.

The problem occurs in version 1.3, but strangely enough not in version 2.3, and if both Gavin and my mod are installed irrespective of order of installation. In my tests there were no other mods, so the problem seems caused by some weird interaction between my mod, Gavin and BG:EE v1.3.

I still don't understand why this is happening, but now I should be able to perform additional tests and hopefully pinpoint the cause.

I'll keep you posted.

Many thanks for your report.
    @Erg You're welcome. And, to be fair, it is pretty nonsensical. It took some trial and error for me to even realize that your mod was the issue. Item mods are usually pretty safe.

I'd be interested to know what's causing the crash if/when you track it down. I'd like to be able to use both mods together at some point and I'm probably not going to update my game for a while. I'm holding out for a few more bug/UI fixes first.
    edited June 2016
    @Ratatoskr589,

I've found the problem. It was a stupid mistake on my part. Gavin has nothing to do with it. In the latest update of the mod, I've added to the staff a new opcode introduced in BG:EE with the patch 2.0. The new opcode is not used by the mod if the old engine is detected (i.e. in vanilla BG1, Tutu and BGT), but I forgot to check also for older versions of BG:EE. In 1.3 that opcode doesn't exist and this was causing the crashes.

I don't fully understand why the game crashes even when you don't have the staff in inventory and what Gavin has to do with it, but removing the opcode fixed the problem.

Edit: Fixed in version 9.1

I will release shortly a new version with a proper fix for the issue, but as a temporary workaround you can do the following:

1) uninstall the Silver Staff
    2) replace the file at the path "Silver_Staff_of_Aule\Silver_Staff_of_Aule.tp2" with the one attached below
    3) reinstall

Of course, the file attached below must be used only in BG:EE 1.3 or previous version as the mod works fine as it is in 2.0 or later.

Edit: removed the temporary file, get version 9.1 or later instead.
    Post edited by Erg on
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Erg

if you want to check for 2.0 instead of all EEs, I use FILE_EXISTS_IN_GAME ~enginest.2da~

Thanks @subtledoctor. I was going to search for this information and you saved me some time.

But ultimately I've decided to use a different approach and check directly for the presence of opcode 344 with the following code
    // Detect if opcode 344 exists
    COPY_EXISTING ~SW1H18.ITM~ ~override~ // Sword of Balduran
    SET er_op344 = 0
    PATCH_IF (SOURCE_SIZE > 0x71) BEGIN
    GET_OFFSET_ARRAY er_ge_array ITM_V10_GEN_EFFECTS
    PHP_EACH er_ge_array AS er_int => er_ge_off BEGIN
    READ_SHORT er_ge_off er_ge_type
    PATCH_IF er_ge_type = 344 BEGIN
    SET er_op344 = 1
    END
    END
    END
    BUT_ONLY_IF_IT_CHANGES
    so later on I can do something like
    // Add +1 Enchantment vs. Lycanthropes (BGEE v2+ only)
    PATCH_IF er_op344 BEGIN
    // do some stuff
    END
    As you can see I like overkilling things :)
    @Erg Glad you found the issue and thanks for the fix. Time to go bludgeon Karoug to death.
    Erg
    Version 9.1 released with the following changes:

- The mod no longer causes crashes in BGEE v1.3 or previous version

- Fixed some typos in the ReadMe files
    Ravenslight
  • RavenslightRavenslight Member Posts: 1,609
    Thank you for all your work on this @Erg
    Much appreciated :)