Skip to content

I believe Baldur's Gate Trilogy is capable of a Mass-effect like Remake. (I'm Serious)

KaliestoKaliesto Member Posts: 282
You're probably wondering the following -

"ARE YOU INSANE"?

Maybe (people thought FF7 remake was never going to happen, and look what happened), but my understanding is that if Baldur's Gate is truly losing it's relevancy in the world at large, and becoming niche after the whole deal with Siege of Dragonspear. Wouldn't the next logical step would be for BeamDog to work directly with a pitch idea with the following companies? -

Ubisoft or Bioware who did the Mass Effect Series?

I understand the the issue with Bioware after what happened toward the end of MEIII, but put it like this that most of the story was really awesome, and the graphics, and animations were the most beautiful thing that gamers had ever been graced with. The voice actors, the emotions, etc were all very beautiful, and people got attached to those character pretty quickly.

Also consider the fact that the story of Baldur's Gate is already been made, and Mass Effect for the most part was a work-in-Progress type deal. This gives a bit of a head start with BG.

Also consider the fact that the voice actors will never be around forever, but this also lets in the option to try new voice actors too in case the ones of the past can no longer do it.

Now imagine the women in a Mass-effect graphical/animation setting? The audience would get attached to them pretty quick because the writing for the most part is really beautiful, and their musical themes (especially Viconia's theme).

I honestly believe in my heart Baldur's Gate is capable of it if done in the same vein as Mass Effect in terms of Animation quality/Voice Acting/etc. If Bioware wants to take the pitch idea that is.

Is it a impossible dream? I hope not. Baldur's Gate has...

A lot of untapped potential.

Comments

• smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    Never played Mass effect so no idea what a mass affect like remake means, can you explain the befores and afters?
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    edited June 2016
    Are you suggesting Beamdog should pass the ball to Bioware to remake Baldur's Gate? That's pretty funny.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    You mean turn it into an rpg-lite 3d person shooter?

Thanks, but no thanks.

Remake Mass Effect as a top down pseudo-turn based rpg? That I would be up for.
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    mass effect style remake? don't you mean dragon age orgins you know it's spirtual sucessor.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    Couldn't you just play Baldur's Gate Reloaded? It puts BG into the Neverwinter Nights 2 engine as a mod.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Remaking the entire game. No.

The voice overs alone would explode the budget into a financial mess.

A follow up game in the same universe is plausible however.
  • batoorbatoor Member Posts: 676
    edited June 2016
    You might Try Deus Ex(2000) and the prequel Deus Ex: Human Revolution(2011) if you like shooters with roleplaying elements.

But no I am not in favor of remaking Baldurs Gate saga into a fully 3d experience. I love the isometric style for large party based rpgs.

I'm glad the financial undertaking alone makes the possibility very slim.
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    Hey at least BG still has in common with ME that the third chapter was a complete let down, so that certainly fitting :P
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    There was no "third chapter" in Baldur's Gate. Throne of Bhaal is an expansion to the second game, not third chapter or whatever. If anything, it would be fourth, with Siege of Dragonspear being actual second.

As much as I would like to see Baldur's Gate expand, I wouldn't want it to go Mass Effect type of route.
  • KaliestoKaliesto Member Posts: 282

mass effect style remake? don't you mean dragon age orgins you know it's spirtual sucessor.

I was more saying along the lines in terms of voice-acting, and animations in the same light as ME.
    For people who can't read?
  • KaliestoKaliesto Member Posts: 282
    edited July 2016
    Fardragon said:

For people who can't read?

That is kind of condescending, and not needed.
    edited July 2016
    I see no other advantage to making it fully voiced. You are talking about massively increasing the cost per word. I don't know about other people, but I tend to click through the fully voiced sections of Mass Effect, since I can read much faster than people speak.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    O_Bruce said:

There was no "third chapter" in Baldur's Gate. Throne of Bhaal is an expansion to the second game, not third chapter or whatever. If anything, it would be fourth, with Siege of Dragonspear being actual second.

For a lot of people, "Throne of Bhaal" is the third chapter (in spirit if not in actuality) and in fact it was supposed to be a full fledged game all on it's own and not an expansion. Tragically it got cut down to merely an expansion and we ended up with the game that we got.

On topic, I think that a remake probably would not be a great idea (personal and subjective). I played the ME games and although I don't love them the way I do BG, I wouldn't say that they were without merit. I don't however think that a remake of Baldur's Gate "In the vein of ME" would work. Besides, as has been said, BG: reloaded exists.

I wouldn't be adverse to more games in the universe, but feel that without the party structure in some manner or method (and the top down isometric perspective seems the most logical to me), I think that it wouldn't be anywhere near as much fun for RPG fans, the primary consumers, and therefore would not only potentially sour the consumer base but would also not probably be anywhere near as financially successful.

Just my two cents.
  • spacejawsspacejaws Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 389
    The real comparison here should be Dragon Age which did all these things aswell. That said both games became victims of simplifying the RPG elements to cater to the market. With Fallout 4 following suit I'd prefer Baldur's Gate to stay away from that threat.

If anything it sounds like you are asking for the game to be remade to be more cinematic, which is not altogether a bad idea, some of the story points and characters in BG could be really touching/effective if written and directed well. I would fear the remainder of the game would suffer from it however from the gameplay, locales and dialogue.