Skip to content

Bandit Camp SCS on Insane Difficulty

I feel kind of silly. I didn't realize when the alarm gets called that not only does the whole camp aggro you, but the guys inside of the main tent aggro as well!! I literally had to level my party to level 4/5 (Sorc, Dorn, Rasaad, Neera, Imoen, Viconia) before I even had a chance of winning this fight.

I gave Dorn as much AC and missile AC that I could, and had him aggro everything. I had a 12 charge fire wand that I passed back and forth between my sorc and Neera to put out as much damage as possible as fast as possible, while at the same time trying to get in a few horrors and sleeps (unfortunately the SCS archers at the bandit camp are immune to sleep, so I depended on horror to hit them).

When the big baddy named enemies showed their face, I had Viconia spam command on them as fast as she could, and barraged them with more fireballs and magic missiles from my two mages. That's usually when I'd have Rasaad come in and pop his sun soul ability.

It took me I think 4 attempts to get this strategy to work, but it finally did, although I took two casualties (Neera and Dorn).

The worst part is is that I didn't realize I was also fighting the main tent baddies at the same time, so after resurrecting my party members at the Temple east of Beregost, I headed back to the bandit camp, and walked into the main tent ready for another fight, except it was empty!

I felt pretty dumb, realizing if I would have triggered the Tazok script I would have been able to fight both encounters separately, and saved myself a lot of pain.

This is my first time playing SCS, so lesson learned I guess!

Comments

• AmmarAmmar Member Posts: 1,297
    If you try doing the fight inside the tent first, the bandits will quickly surround you when you come out and shoot arrows from you from three directions. Hard to keep the weaker members safe. You will not be able to reenter the tent either.

Probably not really easier, especially if you did not expect it and spent your buffs and spells inside.
  • LinkamusLinkamus Member Posts: 221
    Good to know, so do most people just take on the whole encounter at once from the outside like I did?
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,723
    The SCS Bandit camp is definitely one of the biggest surprises and memorable fights in the whole series. I like to use this fight as an example of a wonderfully difficulty-enhanced battle.

I usually try to attack the camp from the north-west corner (that has relatively narrow passages), and when the bandits start coming in waves, let those who can do in my party cast Web spells. Then I use the Necklace of Fireballs from the Nashkel Carnival and own Skull Trap spells onto the held packs of enemies. This way a lot of bandits die simultaneosly letting you deal with the tough survivors.
    I played with web a little bit but wasn't having much luck. I'll have to remember your North West approach for next time. I was attacking straight from the West.
  • NeverusedNeverused Member Posts: 803
    My typical way of burning through that encounter when I have at least one spell caster is to use the one scroll of Cloudkill that can be found southwest of Nashkel in a rock; it's one of the little easter eggs like the Ring of Protection in the rock or the Ring of Wizardry in the roots of a tree. The A.I., while good, isn't quite good enough to avoid walking straight into certain poison-y death, and I saved myself much grief from having to fight a caster-fight as well as keep things from getting poked to death by arrows.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited November 2015
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • fischsemmelfischsemmel Member Posts: 40

This was my favorite encounter of any in the whole series

My method was aggressive crowd control. Pop some summons in one direction to distract a group of bandits, and Web/Cloud/Entangle in another direction; take out the immediate melee threats, then retreat as the bandits start getting through your screens, throwing more summons/Web/Entangle to slow them down. Hopefully, the bandits will reach you in manageable groups that you can take out. Screen, retreat, fight; screen, retreat, fight; etc.

+1
    I just finished my first playthrough of BG1 with SCS installed on insane (With smartest mages). The last battle took me probably over 100 times to beat... I ended up having to use a bit of cheese with cloud-kill and kiting to win. I am not even sure the final battle is possible to win using regular tactics.. At least not without an inquisitor (which I didn't have).
  • SeldarSeldar Member Posts: 438
    yeah I was surprised too when the bad guys in the tent came out to kick my ass with 20 or 30 archers/hobgobelins ... It hurts the first time but then, with all the spell level 1 or 2 like Grease, Horror, Stinking cloud, and Web, it turns to an easy fight. Give arrows/crossbows/darts to all your team, and if you have some fireball, that should be safe
  • YamchaYamcha Member Posts: 486
    edited June 2016
    I've beaten that encounter at least 2 times before (can't remember the tent-crowd to join in though)

But this time its really tough on me:

PC Fighter7 -> Shadowdancer[6], 1 Attack/Round yay :|
    Minsc Longbow/Katana +0 ( my masterwork 2 hand sword broke down :| )
    Viconia
    Imoen Thief3->Mage
    Safana, throwing daggers and darts and bad AC, useless but I want to see her SoD content
    Dynaheir

I could easily handle the bandit trash with web and stinky cloud, but those named guys are unstoppable.
    I will probably retreat and do Ulcaster first, the fiery wand could be useful. And maybe the hedge wizard has a arrow protection scroll for my mages.

Such fun <3
    1. Does the difficulty (hard) influence the spawn rate at this point, or just in SoD?
    2. Any good builds for Safana ?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited June 2016
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • jtthjtth Member Posts: 171
    Yamcha said:

1. Does the difficulty (hard) influence the spawn rate at this point, or just in SoD?

I'm pretty sure it does (at least the toughness and ratio of elites to normals) but I could be wrong.

I've never done the bandit camp on SCS without infiltrating as a bandit, then killing whatshisbutt and booking it. Never tried to clear them straight up.
  • YamchaYamcha Member Posts: 486
    I killed the welcoming committee already o:)
  • ArizaelArizael Member Posts: 263
    Ah yeh the SCS bandit camp. I remember the first run - infiltrating the main tent, spending virtualy every offensive/cc resources to beat it and than getting surrounded by the gang outsided. Managed to make a run for it thanks to my old habbit of keeping supply of invisibility potions/scrolls to get the vulnerable characters out of combat. Good times.
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    edited June 2016
    I found the encounter using SCS disappointing because everything came out of the tents/cave.

I was high level, but that was because the various bounty hunters turning up randomly as you moved maps were so hard, I had found I really needed to be high level to cope with them.

So by bandit camp, had a wand of fireball and Edwin/Zan able to chuck out webs and grease and fireballs like no tomorrow. All the "ouitside people ran into them and all the "inside" people as well, off screen in a lot of cases, and were instakilled with fire and arrows.

Consequently, the only way I knew half of what was killed in about 3 mins of play was the log scrolling up the screen.
    It took far, far longer to pick up the loot.

So then proceeded to the big tent, and found it empty, actually everything empty. Much confusion, so had to scroll up the log screen to find out where the hell everybody had gone, oh, they are all dead already.....

Would have been a much more epic battle had those in the big tent stayed where they were and having to do that fight as "normal" but with SCS/insane.
  • comebackhomecomebackhome Member Posts: 254
    edited June 2016
    https://youtu.be/_2XQrYgM5lU

See this video for a guide on SCS bandit camp except on Legacy of Bhaal not Insane difficulty setting.