Skip to content

[SPOILERS] So how did [Companion] end up *here* out of all places???

With some companions, you are straight up told how they got to where you meet them for the first time.
In other cases, it's simply plain obvious.

Xan and Dynaheir where kidnapped while doing their jobs.
Skie and Aerie are literally at home.
Coran is out hunting.
You get the idea.

However there are some companions where, if you think about it, their location seems kinda ... random.

Why is Eldoth hanging out in the middle of a spider infested forest?
And Shar-Teel in the middle of nowhere by a basilisk-made stone garden?
How did Edwin - of all people - end up working for the Shadow Thieves?
Why are Xzar and Montaron hanging out in spitting distance of Candlekeep?
Why would Ajantis try to vanquish evil in front of a farm?

There must be a story behind all of these.
What do you think?
brusmf2112RavenslightRodrianJuliusBorisov

Comments

• RodrianRodrian Member Posts: 426
    . . and Ajantis could be on his way from Amn to Baldur's Gate for insights, when suddenly - a wild villagers appear.

Also, Eldoth on a hangover run. . #plausible
    Ravenslightmf2112DJKajuruJuliusBorisov
  • brusbrus Member Posts: 944
    edited June 2016
    I'll go off the record here. ;) This is more: what *actually* happened ?

Why is Eldoth hanging out in the middle of a spider infested forest?
    He was extracting spider venom for evilish spider tongue potion. Spider tongue potion gives you the exact number of tongues as spider's legs. He's a bard and he wanted to test his poisonous lullaby song.

And Shar-Teel in the middle of nowhere by a basilisk-made stone garden?

She was tracing basilisks for crunchy basilisk's steaks .

He is on a flee from wizards of Thay. Thieves provided him identity switch service.

Why are Xzar and Montaron hanging out in spitting distance of Candlekeep?

Xzar was like : "Hey dude, let's hang out. "
    Montaron: "Totally."

Why would Ajantis try to vanquish evil in front of a farm?

He sensed some Ankhegs about. Ankhegs were eating vegetable's roots. That's as evil as it gets for a paladin.
    Post edited by brus on
    mf2112RavenslightNonnahswriterJuliusBorisov
  • mf2112mf2112 Member, Moderator Posts: 1,919

I always assumed that Xzar and Montaron were on the road to Nashkel as they tell you they have business there.

But they are not on the road to Baldur's Gate. They are in the center or the Lion's Way.

If they where on the way to the Gate, they got about 40km off track (and out of experience I can tell, that this would be a veeeery long day of marching. More realisticly two short to average days).

Did they maybe try to get to Candlekeep instead but where send away because they didn't bring a book?
    Did they actually have business at Candlekeep and simply leave one day before you left? Wouldn't you have noticed them? Xzar is not exactly hard to miss ...
    Did they maybe purposely travel off-road in order to avoid bandits?
    Maybe they knew about Harpers being at the Friendly Arm Inn (and simply lied to you)?

Or they where indeed traveling on the road north ... and simply took a wrong turn, only noticing their mistake once they got to the next waypoint marker, the one they stand in front of when you first meet them.

Immagine these two bickering like an old couple on vacation, a la "You should have asked for directions!" - "I don't need to ask, you simply can't read a map!"
    Heh. That, and also based on the map, I am now thinking Ajantis got lost on the way up to the zombie farm but wouldn't ask either.
    RavenslightThacoBellJuliusBorisov
  • ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    edited June 2016
    Rodrian said:

. . and Ajantis could be on his way from Amn to Baldur's Gate for insights, when suddenly - a wild villagers appear.

But he is not with the villagers ... he stands in the middle of the road, randomly asking them wether they are "Friend or Foe!" If he would be traveling, he would maybe be resting on the farm or in the village. Actually, I am fairly certain he would have gotten involved in the deal with Tenya or the Ankhegs ...
    Rodrian said:

Also, Eldoth on a hangover run. . #plausible

That is a looooong way from the next tavern Oo'
    Maybe he was with the hunters you meet earlier in the forest though. And he got fed up with them and left.
    I mean, they are nobles, and we all know how Eldoth feels about nobles. I bet he saw them as his ticket to get to Skie, but then realized how idiotic they are >.>
    Post edited by Buttercheese on
    mf2112RavenslightRodrian
    brus said:

He is on a flee from wizards of Thay. Thieves provided him identity switch service.

That's actually rather plausible.
    ... heh, that also gives the Nether Scroll incident a new perspective :smirk:
    brusRavenslightmf2112Nonnahswriter
  • RavenslightRavenslight Member Posts: 1,609
    @Buttercheese said:
    But they are not on the road to Baldur's Gate. They are in the center or the Lion's Way.

Well, if Xzar would ever let Montaron see the map they would have never gotten themselves so off course. :)
    mf2112
  • RavenslightRavenslight Member Posts: 1,609
    @Rodrian said:
    Also, Eldoth on a hangover run. .

I think this is likely. I can’t imagine Eldoth traveling far without proper refreshments for the trail.
    Rodrian
    He does invite you to a cup of wine when you meet him, doesn't he?
    Ravenslightmf2112Rodrian
  • PohjanmaalainenPohjanmaalainen Member Posts: 35
    I always explain Xzar and Montaron the same way I usually explain my custom made parties: some higher power, Zhentarim in this case, somehow knew that CHARNAME was a bhaalspawn and ordered some mooks to keep eye on him just in case. It is not actually that far fetched considering that they offer to help and follow you just like that.

And Ajantis says, I think, that he hunts bandits. That in mind he could be traveling up and down the countryside asking that stupid question of his or just staying still waiting some bandits come to him.
    Buttercheese
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    Ajantis is researching the Baldur's Gate troubles on behalf of the Order of the Most Radiant Heart. His biography says as much. The troubles involve bandits targeting the metal trade. Presumably he is on that road to investigate the bandits.

Xzar and Montaron are, as others have said, on their way to Nashkel. If you need any excuse for them bring on the wrong road beyond "the devs didn't think it mattered particularly much" then it's definitely that Xzar wad insisting they needed to travel west to go south because he was wearing yellow socks that day. Or maybe Montaron can smell especially cruel dawns and wanted to admire the handiwork.

Eldoth is refilling his stores of the spider venom he uses to craft his poison bolts.

Shar-Teel is wandering about the wilderness, looking for adventurers to best, Nibelungenlied style.
    ButtercheeseJuliusBorisov
  • JumboWheat01JumboWheat01 Member Posts: 1,028

@Buttercheese said:

Well, if Xzar would ever let Montaron see the map they would have never gotten themselves so off course. :)

Fat lot of good letting Monty have the map would do, at his height, he wouldn't be able to see the road for the bushes.

Yes, I know, racist against halfling comment, but I play halflings, and use the same jokes while being them, so it's all good.
    RavenslightRodrian
    In fact, some of my best characters are halflings.
    Buttercheese[Deleted User]Empyrial
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Xzar and Monty > Are on their way to Nashkel, however, they are steering clear of settlements along the way and/or are heading to High Hedge.

Ajantis > Is on the road heading to FAI.

Eldoth > Is actually part of the bandits, but knew when to jump ship.

Edwin > Needed protection while in Amn from the Cowled Wizards and the shadow thieves are one of the groups that could provide it.

Shar-Teel > Is as far away from her father as possible.
    ButtercheeseJuliusBorisov
  • GallengerGallenger Member Posts: 400
    To justify Ajantis further there is a chance that regular bandits will spawn a bit to the left and above of where he is standing - so I always liked to think he was ACTIVELY engaging in bandit hunting and you caught him while he was taking a break - sometimes resulting in immediate bandit fight.

Shar-teel's location makes a little bit of sense judging by the very high amount of adventurer type statues around - Mutamin's Garden looks like a popular crossing point for adventuring types - and it makes a little bit of sense given the proximity to Ulcaster, Firewine, and Durlag's. Fairly likely to be able to accost and battle male adventurers without having to worry about the troubles that face the more well-traveled roads.

mf2112
  • JimstromJimstrom Member Posts: 98
    The Convenient NPC mod, move some of them to better places.

Shar-Teel is now on the road north of Nashkel in the middle of a Crossing which is a much better place to find male warriors to duel,

Eldoth is now north of Beregost at the north of the crossroads probably just leaving a tavern and now looking for some companions to help him in his schemes,

Tiax is now in Beregost at towncrier square and has probably heard the news of the mad cleric Basilus and as the rightful heir to throne of Cyric he has to twarth the opposition and

Quayle is now in the Nashkel Carneval probably doing some illusions to finance his travels.

Alora is now in Gullykin which is probably her home village.

Ajantis has probably been in Baldur's Gate, to get some information and is probably on his way to the crossroads to investigate.

Xzar and Montaron are probably avoiding the crossroads for all the bandits, and is taking a rest before going south to High Hedge.

• FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    Ajantis is simply on the road, travelling in the opposite direction. Where you happen to pass is entirely random.
    Yelocessej
    Alora is original from the town of Irieabor, a town further up the river Baldur's Gate is on, according to her biography. She's not settled down anywhere since leaving it.
  • YelocessejYelocessej Member Posts: 182
    Don't take the maps too literally. There's a little abstraction to be assumed.