Skip to content

All you wanted to know about the next Beamdog's project

Comments

• justfeelinathomejustfeelinathome Member Posts: 353
    Rodrian said:

. . and the main protagonist's age should be far greater than early 20-ties, so that we could finally use some of the "older" portraits (please?) ^^

Well if making a new game they could always go with Dragon Age-esque (Origins) dialogue, with tons of reactions to who exactly your character is (make him or her come alive!) and simply let us choose our age along other things. Personally I'd be in favor of that, sine I don't like old-ish warriors, but do enjoy an aged mage. :smile:
  • RodrianRodrian Member Posts: 426
    @Buttercheese you spoke my mind (litterally, was trying hard to type some answer here)
    Know what? After seeing the newest God of War from E3, I'm so curiously hyped for Forgotten Realms hero:father-son relationship as well! :smiley:
  • justfeelinathomejustfeelinathome Member Posts: 353
    ...which is pretty much the first God of War I'll have more than a passing interest leading up to the release. I'm sold on an aging protagonist, well played @Buttercheese :smile: also, with a great variety of romances, some could only be available to youngster/veterans if still considering the other modle.
  • mf2112mf2112 Member, Moderator Posts: 1,919
    I moved all the comments with the original request by @David_Gaider here:
    https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/60003/david-gaider-needs-a-list
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511

While I do like the idea of a wider age-range a lot, it also brings some problems.

Like, for example, romances. Age usually plays a significant role in relationships. I'd imagine it would be pretty jarring if CHARNAME was 50, the romantic interest was 20 and the huge difference in age wouldn't be adressed.
    I remember it being pretty weird in NWN2, where your character could be any age, but was always treated like they where in their early 20s. Their two best friends where in that age, everyone treated you like a child.
    Which was really weird when I once played an elf who was literally like three times the age of almost everyone in the village. By default.

It's probably a lot easier for the writers to have a rough age limit, if not a fixed age, for CHARNAME.
    But yeah, I am all for playing a more mature hero. Hey, maybe even have the character age throughout the game? Hey, this time CHARNAME might even actually get to start a family, and not just a boy/girlfriend.

My brain is so full of ideas right now :#

Just seen this. It would be an interesting to allow choice of age range, reflected in dialogue, as part of the character customisation process: kid, young, mature, elderly.

As a simpler option, you could have it as a Background (Backgrounds being a core part of 5th edition rules).

Aging: "for whatever reason you started your adventuring career later in life than most people".
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    brus said:
    Judging by the previous tweets, it's PS4 and Xbox.
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,459
    o_o
    Oh no.
    iPads were not enough game-destructive for you? -_-
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    Tablets have been one of the strongest features of the EEs. Porting BG to tablets was a wonderful idea. There're no RPGs on tablets with the similar quality.

There had been a talk about porting BG to PS3 before BGEE was released: http://www.ubergizmo.com/2012/12/baldurs-gate-enhanced-edition-considered-for-ps3-release/, http://gamingbolt.com/baldurs-gate-enhanced-edition-ps3-port-was-in-the-works-got-scrapped.

Also, there have been several demands to port BG to consoles, for example https://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/10ir7l/baldurs_gate_enhanced_edition_for_xbox/.
  • rapsam2003rapsam2003 Member Posts: 1,636
    edited June 2016
    @Vallmyr, did you just say Inquisition lacked RPG features and had dumbed down mechanics. LOL. Did we play the same game? The key part to Roleplaying Game is story, and DAI had a solid story. It even had classes and "subclasses". If you're complaining because the UI modernized, that's a personal issue. Your nostalgia may be showing...

People really need to stop complaining because new games have different ways of presenting the same features as old games. It's quite silly. Also, as much as I dislike consoles, it's a smart business move on Beamdog's part to develop for consoles too.
    edited June 2016
    Errr. I don't think it's nostalgia because I started playing CRPGs back in 2013. I do know I shouldn't compare DA:O to DA:I but I do >_>

Also DA:I did have a terribad PC port. Maybe I should buy a console to play those sort of games.

I just find them removing customization options every iteration. I also think Corypheus is the most boring villain ever. But again, could just be personal taste.

As for the dumbing down of mechanics, I would say it does. For some reason the tactics system was removed, the tactical camera was broken and got caught on things constantly, and overall was a much worse experience than DA:O (again, subjectively). I played a Mage in DA:I and the spell selection left much to be desired.

I may just be spoiled by PnP D&D (which I started playing back in 2011).

Edit: I also think NWN2 is the greatest RPG ever devised ever. Your stats played a part in dialogue! THAT'S AWESOME! It's a reason I really liked Pillars of Eternity as well.

Edit the second: I also value the ability to roleplay the character you have in mind. Like I played a Bard in DA:O and then DA2 and DA:I decided there would be no more Bards. Also dual wielding and archery warriors are gone and each class was restricted to one or two weapon types. Removing options from the player, at least for me, is never good.
    edited June 2016
    Vallmyr said:

Edit: I also think NWN2 is the greatest RPG ever devised ever. Your stats played a part in dialogue! THAT'S AWESOME!

The reason NWN2 had stats affecting dialogue was because that's how D&D works. Since you've played PnP D&D, you know. I highly doubt that BG3 (or whatever it's called) will be the exception.
    Vallmyr said:

Edit the second: I also value the ability to roleplay the character you have in mind. Like I played a Bard in DA:O and then DA2 and DA:I decided there would be no more Bards. Also dual wielding and archery warriors are gone and each class was restricted to one or two weapon types. Removing options from the player, at least for me, is never good.

DAO only had 3 classes: warrior, rogue, mage; same as what DAI had. Bard was a rogue specialization. http://dragonage.wikia.com/wiki/Classes_and_specializations_(Origins)
    dragonage.wikia.com/wiki/Classes_and_specializations_(Inquisition)

I agree in principle that removal of choice is bad, but it fit the story world actually.

I'm just super scared it'll be like sword coast legends where it was only D&D in name :(
    It's gonna be cursed Dark Alliance 3. . *mark my words*
    Vallmyr said:

I'm just super scared it'll be like sword coast legends where it was only D&D in name :(

I think Beamdog is smarter than that.
  • TarlugnTarlugn Member Posts: 208
    Since I haven´t seen any definitive answer on what´s going on with Beamdog, I´ll open the speculation on possible Black Pits 3 : ? I bet monsters manuals have much more potential than what we have so far seen in the line of Black Pits. Since Baeloth steals the show and the gladiators at the end of BP2, he probably has some fancy new arena somewhere. Funny notion, as BP´s are now, they tend to end rather sudden when the gladiator team has really started rolling, so I´d wish suggested BP 3 to have moar tiers - BP 1 has 3, while BP 2 has 5.
  • BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 2,108

Tablets have been one of the strongest features of the EEs. Porting BG to tablets was a wonderful idea. There're no RPGs on tablets with the similar quality.

There had been a talk about porting BG to PS3 before BGEE was released: http://www.ubergizmo.com/2012/12/baldurs-gate-enhanced-edition-considered-for-ps3-release/, http://gamingbolt.com/baldurs-gate-enhanced-edition-ps3-port-was-in-the-works-got-scrapped.

Also, there have been several demands to port BG to consoles, for example https://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/10ir7l/baldurs_gate_enhanced_edition_for_xbox/.

I wish they'd make the EEs available on Amazon's app store. I mean it's available for Android, so it shouldn't be that hard, should it?
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768

I wish they'd make the EEs available on Amazon's app store. I mean it's available for Android, so it shouldn't be that hard, should it?

If you're talking about getting the EE's on a Kindle fire, just follow these instructions:
    http://www.howtogeek.com/232726/how-to-install-the-google-play-store-on-your-amazon-fire-tablet/

This puts the Google play store on your Fire and you can buy the EE's through there. I've been playing IWDEE on my Fire for months now.
    I'm of the view that Baldur's Gate style games lend themselves more to tablets than consoles. They really don't benefit from the photo-realistic 3d graphics consoles are designed around, but the do benefit from the intimacy and interactivity of a touch screen.
  • batoorbatoor Member Posts: 676
    edited June 2016
    Inquisition is definitely quantity over quality....The core story itself I've yet finished, because I'm not done with the sidequest filler yet. The tactical cam is just clunky, bad overview..doesn't feel made for a party based rpg at all.

There is an impressive amount of voice acting and dialogue in the game though..

I don't know what kind of standpoint they will be taking when designing the UI, but I do hope the pc port isn't compromised..
    edited June 2016
    DAI would actually have been a better game with far fewer sidequests.

That's definitely a lesson for Beamdog. When it comes to sidequests quality > quantity.
  • RavenslightRavenslight Member Posts: 1,609
    @Buttercheese said:
    (FINALLY) well designed costumes and armor? - Everyone gets to wear it except for your own character.

It did bother me that my PC was forced to wear something that made me think of long johns, whenever she was in her stronghold.

Also, I’m still miffed that my PC could not wear a lovely gown to the ball, unlike the other NPCs… sniff…
    Fardragon said:

DAI would actually have been a better game with far fewer sidequests.

That's definitely a lesson for Beamdog. When it comes to sidequests quality > quantity.

Agreed. They tried to do so much that it became unfocused. I think BG2 is really the only game I've played where the sidequests were numerous but still didn't feel like there were so many that quality suffered.
  • ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    Not to mention the sidequests in BG2 felt meaningful and important. There was no "gather X of Y" or "Kill A of B". All of the sidequests felt like they belonged there, they felt natural. They made the world feel alive, not generic.
  • brusbrus Member Posts: 944
    edited July 2016
    My personal theory about new project. Phillip said in the chat that he would like to use Larian's in-house engine and modify it for real time with pause system. So, facts:
    1. we know the new project is gonna be on both consoles
    2. Larian's in-house engine is listed for consoles since DOS:EE
    3. Chris Avellone is working on Divinity Original Sin 2
    4. Chris Avellone is possible writer
    5. Larian has studio in Canada
    When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.
    Conclusion:
    Supposedly the dots are connected the right way,
    new project will be powered by Larian studio's in-house engine.
    Post edited by brus on