Skip to content

Random Encounter ... 5 Liches!

TarlugnTarlugn Member Posts: 208
Hello!

At first I thought they were skeleton warrios, but they apparently are wearing robes. For a moment I thought fighting 5 liches might be interesting challenge, though I then noticed they´re all wielding mundane looking clubs!

The image seems to be from EotB 3.

Please post if you have an explanation for the clubs, or any idea how tough fighting 5 liches would be!
More images of liches welcome, as well!

Comments

• mf2112mf2112 Member, Moderator Posts: 1,919
    Fighting 5 liches would be tough indeed, but I am leaning towards these guys being skeletal warriors types from the armor.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    im thinking they are some kind of rulers, if you look at the right on the picture in the background, there seems to be some sort of skeletal warrior there, so perhaps they could be some sort of spell casting undead, plus those clubs could just be short staves, and the one in front is the only "lich" that looks like it is wearing armor, while the other 4 look more cloth like in design, it could also be possible that they are some sort of clerics or necromancers, but judging by the jewelry they are wearing and by the crowns, they would definitely be lords of some sort, and usually undead lords have casting ability so I would say its safe to say that they could be liches

how I picture them is: kangaxx is the main chum in front with the heavier armor, buddy in the blue robe would be the shade lich, homes that is sporting the more pink attire would be the elemental lich, and the two guys in the back would be the typical lich, quite the formidable team indeed, perhaps this could even be a picture of kangaxx about to take over the world with his undead army ( granted by the chap in the background on the right hand side) with his generals at his side - but then he loses the battle and the two generic liches fall also, and the shade lich and elemental lich are the only ones that survive, so to save kangaxx, they take his bones, and hold on to them to see if they can make him whole again - but in the middle of that quest the elemental lich and shade lich get captured and are imprisoned in their own tombs for the rest of eternity with the golden bones still on their bodies, waiting to be released so kangaxx can rise again...
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    I thought that was Lord Soth (Dragonlance) and his Death Knights?
  • bleusteelbleusteel Member Posts: 523
    Skeleton Clerics
  • AmmarAmmar Member Posts: 1,297
    decado said:

I thought that was Lord Soth (Dragonlance) and his Death Knights?

Lord Soth always wears his helm and blackened armor of a Knight of the Rose.

And while he is a Death Knight himself, his followers are only Skeletal Warriors and Banshees. With the exception of the goldbox game, Death Knights are too unique to serve as minions.

Here is a classical image of him:
    http://dragonlance.wikia.com/wiki/Lord_Soth
  • ChnapyChnapy Member Posts: 360
    edited May 2016
    Each of them have its particular style: there's no uniforms, no shared piece of jewelry, nothing that really identify them as being a group. Based on that I could see them as member of a ruling council, like what I imagine the Grand Dukes have in Baldur's Gate. Just, you know, a little more boney. This is them arguing after a reunion, well, just the one in the back, while the others are making excuses and scurrying away in the hopes of being spared even more pointless bickering (undeath is about 95% pointless bickering. The rest is killing breathers).

The clubs are indeed odd, especially considering the forwardmost one has two other weapons. He's the only one who seem to be carrying additional weaponry though, so maybe he has the highest rank?

Also, we don't see how long the others' clubs are, so maybe they are actually staves. Plain wooden staves for such royal folks is still odd, but slightly less than clubs. Clubs are for druids and druidic liches aren't exactly common. Maybe the club guy was denied a real staff when he decided to keep bladed weapons (blades are for warriors after all, and warriors are chumps. This guy is making a fool of himself).
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    What if they actually are a group of Skeleton Percussionists? I mean, they all have clubs, besides, they're totally badass.

Also, they're actually 6: their Band Manager is hiding on the very right of the picture behind the wall.

And from a BG-powergamer's point of view, 5 Liches together isn't that hard if you really cheese on them but it won't be an easy fight (mostly because Liches are fair to fight, not like Demiliches, which 1 is already a nightmare).
  • AmmarAmmar Member Posts: 1,297
    If you have a high level cleric you can just turn them. Two Sunrays should also take care of them.

Demiliches are also easy if have some sort of protection against Imprisonment.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    edited May 2016
    They look like the ringbearers who became Nazgul.

Also, you should realise that most AD&D illustrations made the mosters look way more threatening than the adventurers they were supposed to fight.
    Post edited by DJKajuru on
  • TarlugnTarlugn Member Posts: 208
    Heh, just counting the experience from this encounter, if it indeed were a battle, is so ludicrous... like 250 000 experience points, plus maybe something from a quest?

The battle might be a challenge, though, as I remember singular liches being somewhat troublesome in old SoA. What I find still kinda bit amiss that their weapons of choices are either clubs or some half-quarterstaves.
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    Why would a bunch of liches be working together?
  • ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    The first thing that came to mind are lich versions of Alex' gang from A Clockwork Orange ...
    Don't ask why ...
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    edited June 2016
    I'm pretty sure it's not a "random encounter", but something to do with the plot of EotB3. However, I can't remember it, or find a synopsis on the Net. Was it something to do with the Rod of Seven Parts?
  • brusbrus Member Posts: 944
    edited June 2016
    Theory:
    Have 5 mages in the party who will deliberate 4 liches with Otiluke's Resilient Spheres. The fifth one is left for the mage and 6th character to deal with.
    Someone who is very skilled with lich battles do tell if this is valid strategy in practice.

Also, what are other useful spells for deliberating liches?
    Post edited by brus on
  • lolienlolien Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,108
    edited June 2016

Edit:
    Tarlugn said:

More images of liches welcome, as well!

• RodrianRodrian Member Posts: 426
    Look at them go!
    @Anduin might consider a music superstar career  with'em. .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_izvAbhExY
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    It is very obvious these are all mummified gnomes, who are justified and their ancient, (possibly drive an ice-cream van... Oh dear... I really am ancient KLF)

Also... The staves appear short due to perspective OR due to continuous walking over the millennia causing considerable wear...

Plus... I think we could be the next big death metal band. We could call ourselves... Bone Maiden? Swords n Roses? Sleepnot? Thinner Lizzy? Creamed? Born in the stone age? Unanna? Green and moldy day? Dead Zeppelin? Colder play? Dead Punk? Dead Floyd? Fleetwood Buried?
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    edited June 2016

Why would a bunch of liches be working together?

Ever heard of the Twisted Rune?
    http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Twisted_Rune
    Fardragon said:

I'm pretty sure it's not a "random encounter", but something to do with the plot of EotB3

EotB3 had a plot?