Skip to content

Help with SCS Twisted Rune

Hi guys, I need some help with SCS Twisted Rune.

I don't have a problem with Shangalar and Shyressa (the vampire). Shangalar is immediately killed when he teleports to my party, and Shyressa was easily dealt with by Anomen with upgraded Mace of Disruption and Improved haste.

My main problem is with Vaxall (the beholder) and especially Layene.

Their buffs are so extensive I'm lost at how to debuff them. Any advice?

Comments

• JustLeftJustLeft Member Posts: 76
    Cheesy, I used Skull Traps to kill the Beholder when it spawns and weaken the fighter and used thief traps to weaken and kill the Lich, killed the vampire right after and the only one who put up a fight was the mage.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @johntyl: Vaxall is best handled with a well-equipped dwarven or halfling fighter, like Mazzy or Korgan. Good saving throws are necessary to deal with nonsense like Death Ray when Vaxall can remove Death Ward and other buffs using Anti-Magic Ray. You can also bait him into using Anti-Magic Ray by drinking cheap buffing potions (Potions of Agility should work). Anti-Magic Ray, depending on your install options, can block hostile spells as well as friendly ones, granting the target immunity to further Beholder rays until it runs out. That would give you enough time to make more progress on Vaxall.

If my memory is correct, Vaxall is relatively vulnerable to area-effect spells. Rayic Gethras has a Wand of Fire in his home in the docks that could help out, and you can also grab a Wand of Lightning in the Temple Ruins in the Umar Hills quest (it's in the laval room). They have a few charges left in each one, and should be enough to deal with Vaxall, provided you keep your mages far away from Vaxall's Anti-Magic Ray (I believe Anti-Magic Ray disables quick slots).

Layenne can be revealed with Detect Illusions temporarily (Jan is very excellent at this skill) but her buffs are generally too strong to make debuffing practical unless you have multiple mages and/or are very high level. I normally wait out her buff durations, running around the room to escape her spells and her Planetar's attacks, before attacking her while she's in a weakened state.
    JuliusBorisovJustLeft
  • johntyljohntyl Member Posts: 397

If my memory is correct, Vaxall is relatively vulnerable to area-effect spells. Rayic Gethras has a Wand of Fire in his home in the docks that could help out, and you can also grab a Wand of Lightning in the Temple Ruins in the Umar Hills quest (it's in the laval room). They have a few charges left in each one, and should be enough to deal with Vaxall, provided you keep your mages far away from Vaxall's Anti-Magic Ray (I believe Anti-Magic Ray disables quick slots).

Yes, you are right on that. I was happily surprised when Vaxall got confused by my Chaos spell but I thought that was a fluke somewhere. I will try nuking him now.

Imma gona try to wait out Layene's buffs as you suggested but her offensive spells are no joke.

Thanks for the tip! :)
  • johntyljohntyl Member Posts: 397
    @semiticgod thank you, I did it!!

Spamming fireballs and cloudkills did the trick for Vaxall as you have suggested (lightning doesn't hit him) and waiting out Layene's buffs worked brilliantly. Without her buffs and illusions, a quick backstab and multiple melee attacks soon did her in :):)

All these done with pretty low-level spells and non-cheesy means ;)
    JuliusBorisovsemiticgoddessjackjacklolien
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    jackjack
  • jtthjtth Member Posts: 171

1) Install aTweaks

2) Summon a Pit Fiend

3) Stand back.

3a) Pray it is sympathetic.
    mf2112jackjack