Skip to content

SoD or Siege of icewind dale?

comebackhomecomebackhome Member Posts: 254
Is it just me but does this expansion feel less like Baldurs gate and more like icewind dale?

What I mean is, in the two areas I've done in Legacy of Bhaal (first two) The dwarven caves and the beginning has felt like nothing but mindless swarms in icewind dale. Not the individual uniqueness of singular powerful enemies like in Baldurs gate.

So once again, is it just me?

Comments

• JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    The encounter style is definitely much more Icewind Dale, yeah. Which kind of makes sense, since you're fighting a war for most of it. That's not to say there aren't a fair number of fights against small numbers of powerful opponents, but the general trend is very much towards swarms of enemies.
  • magisenseimagisensei Member Posts: 316
    There is some underlying tones of IWD but its from the way story is being told - we are in a war and we have someone to report to (unlike in BG where we adventure, explore and take requests as we like) here in SoD there is a General we report to on our progress (and getting the next assignment sort of or the next area we have to got too and scout out) and we sort of work for the benefit of the war effort to save the Sword Coast sort of like saving Kuldahar.

Of course in SoD we can take our merry time doing other things like side quests and exploring caves and taking our time as there are a lot to distract us from the war effort after all we are adventurers not soldiers so our mind wanders as our pouches get a little emptier and in want of some gold, jewels and that nice magical trinket to fill it up and so we explore caves and forests and other things that dot the landscape in SoD.

I wish that IWD had more smaller quests to do to make the story a bit less linear ie defeat the dungeon and big boss in the dungeon and report back for the next assignment.
  • jsavingjsaving Member Posts: 1,083
    Icewind Dale was by far the least immersive of the Infinity Engine games, coupling a mediocre plot with shallow encounter designs. It's still better than most CRPGs but notably weak compared to BG, BG2, Planescape, etc.

I wouldn't agree that SoD falls into this category, though. I think a better analogy for SoD is Throne of Bhaal, an expansion that was very linear compared to BG/BG2 but delivered some satisfying plot twists along the way.
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    Funny you should say that, I actually think Icewind Dale has a better plot than any Baldur's Gate game. It's not as big a part of the game, so if you're looking for story you're not gonna get as much out of Icewind Dale, but I think what's there is better.

Obviously that's really subjective, though.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    I don't think LoB mode gives a genuine experience.
  • rapsam2003rapsam2003 Member Posts: 1,636
    edited June 2016
    If you were playing on core, the difficulty which the game is balanced around, (or maybe even hard)...then maybe you would get a better idea of how there are actually some encounters with single powerful enemies.
    Or, hell, if you'd just have pissed off the mummy in the prologue dungeon...you'd deal with a powerful enemy. He summons other undead, but he's the big bad. Of course, don't say I didn't warn you, when he spanks you and sends CHARNAME to an early grave. Even on LOB, I suspect this is true.
  • comebackhomecomebackhome Member Posts: 254
    Even on a core difficulty that doesn't change the composition of the game so far in my experience there has been less adventurer party encounters, less singular strong assassins like in BG. Basically what I define a Baldurs gate game to be. Correct me if I'm wrong though.
    edited June 2016
    The composision of spawns is different on the core game, both in terms of having far fewer mobs and in what type of mobs make up the group.

This means that the individually placed bosses are not swamped by random minions.

Play on core, and make the game more difficult by playing solo, or using a sub-optimal main character.

LoB mode is only intended for players who have already beaten the game.
  • comebackhomecomebackhome Member Posts: 254
    Fardragon said:

The composision of spawns is different on the core game, both in terms of having far fewer mobs and in what type of mobs make up the group.

This means that the individually placed bosses are not swamped by random minions.

Play on core, and make the game more difficult by playing solo, or using a sub-optimal main character.

LoB mode is only intended for players who have already beaten the game.

LoB is also for experienced players/veterans, hardcore and power gamers.

A much lower percentage of people play LoB, so it's questionable how much effort and input was put into that aspect of the game.
    edited June 2016
    If you haven't played SoD through yet, you aren't an "experienced player" of SoD.

And no, HoF and LoB are trying to make D&D do something it was never intended for, so it's hardly surprising they don't work well.
  • mylegbigmylegbig Member Posts: 292
    I didn't mind the big groupings of enemies, but it did bother me that:

SoD has the exact same final boss as IWD. Really? That was disappointing
  • BubblesBubbles Member Posts: 589
    Frankly, I find SoD has a nice mix of quests and the hack and slash of IWD.
    The main thing is that IWD monsters don't usually follow the standard monsters capabilities making it more a guess when I first started playing while SoD fairly much uses standard monster specs.

Well if playing at max difficulty, I guess it is almost no difference in the quantity and the quality of the mobs they throw at us between HoW and LoB.
  • dok0zhivagodok0zhivago Member Posts: 82
    If anything, SoD proved that Beamdog should make an IWD expansion. When it comes to dungeon crawling and encounter design they have the skill and talent.
    Being an IWD fan, the fact that SoD has that IWd aura around itself is a plus in my book. But I can understand why some BG players don't feel the same.
  • TrudeauIsSantaTrudeauIsSanta Member Posts: 161
    It's better than Icewind Dale.
  • rapsam2003rapsam2003 Member Posts: 1,636
    edited June 2016
    mylegbig said:

I didn't mind the big groupings of enemies, but it did bother me that:

SoD has the exact same final boss as IWD. Really? That was disappointing
    If you understand the lore involved, it makes perfect sense.
    http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Dragonspear_Castle
    http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Crenshinibon
    http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Belhifet
  • GhavGrimGhavGrim Member Posts: 35
    Whenever I think of Baldurs Gate, I think of swarms. Kobold swarms. The more linear area progression in Sod is what makes it most like IWD, to my mind.
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    Fardragon said:

I don't think LoB mode gives a genuine experience.

Of course it gives a genuine experience! Legacy of Bhaal mode might not give a good experience, but it does at least give an experience!