Skip to content

Gamer confessions...

124»

Comments

• FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    Becoming a snowman when you stealth (later in the game) is much cooler! I think D:OS has to be considered a comedy, and approached in that way.
  • NaveenNaveen Member Posts: 81

And yeah, Heroes of Might and Magic can be surprisingly difficult. I'm sure there is a method for not sucking somewhere.

If you play the third one, there is a tutorial that teaches you some nasty tricks and interesting information (the 1 unit stack, chains of heroes...). I think it's this one: http://www.gog.com/forum/heroes_of_might_and_magic_series/advanced_tutorial_map_homm3

Oh, crap, I had a list of confessions but I ctrl+c it and then that gog link. Oh well, in short:

I want huge cleavages in games, I hate PS:T ending, I think Games of Thrones is the cancer that is killing fantasy, and although I know its lore and rules, and I have played a lot in my head, I've never played a single pen & paper D&D session.
    Wandering_MinstrelGod
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    edited August 2015
    I have played so much Heroes of Might and Magic, that I have "seen the man behind the curtain". All of the versions of HoMM only have difficulty to them because the AI and the mapmaker cheat, big time.

The computer has more resources than you, more starting creatures, more starting spells, better geographical defenses, and knows exactly which stacks are friendly and joinable.

Basically, the mapmaker sets up a scenario with certain win conditions, and creates all of the map conditions such that she and the AI are in complete control of whether you win or lose. You will eventually win after you have seen all the "pieces of the puzzle" that the mapmaker has created for you, and you might have to replay the map a few times (Power Word: Reload) until you have enough metagaming knowledge of that map to win it, but you will eventually win as soon as your metaknowldege is high enough.

Once you have basic strategy and tactics down, you are guaranteed to win any map until the mapmakers start cheating the advanced maps against you. The only real challenge becomes exposing the map area and learning what the map is going to do.

Once I saw "the man behind the curtain" in HoMM, the whole franchise got a lot less fun for me. But, I still play it from time to time for the epic music, art, animations, and stories.
    NecomancerJuliusBorisov
  • SmilingSwordSmilingSword Member Posts: 827

confession: i dislike salted popcorn, i only like sweet popcorn

I thought you there was something very very wrong with you, but then I remembered this stuff is amazing
    Necomancer
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    Fiddle Faddle? That's what it's called in my southern region of the USA. I would have thought that Fiddle Faddle was a trademark. Diddle Daddle would be kind of an obvious knockoff. I must be missing something here.

Oh, yeah, "Jumpin' Jacks" sounds like "Cracker Jacks", another caramel popcorn treat with a famous trademark here in the States.

I've *got* to be missing something here.
    meagloth
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited August 2015
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    JuliusBorisov
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    I began playing Xcom 2... and I've absolutely been reloading. I know a lot of the fun comes from watching friend and family characters die, but I always feel really bad, and keep making the excuse that I am new and learning. Well, that is true, and I feel like I have indeed learned a lot by replaying a few turns each time, learning what strategies work on the difficulty under the hardest. I am now considering restarting and this time limiting reloads, but I also feel a need to do this because even if I cheated battles to bring my people out alive, I had some serious resource mismanagement. I don't believe I've gained as much intel as I should've been getting and now I wonder if my expansion might be too slow to reach some black sites to slow the avatar project. I also find I could've done slightly better on research, as I have better guns now but not yet armor and the aliens have gotten stronger.

That said, it is a very enjoyable game. I do want to keep playing and learning, but I feel I will have the most rewarding experience restarting and following ironman rules. (not necessarily turning on ironman, in case of bugs and just the fact I want to win the game once before doing that and possibly going game over) I also do not regret starting on a difficulty higher than the normal, because I feel it is good that I trained myself in what to expect on this difficulty so I don't have to retrain myself in what I can get away with and what I can't.
  • dok0zhivagodok0zhivago Member Posts: 82
    I firmly believe that console players ruined the FPS genre.
    Played through Halo on PC, and I don't see what is the big deal about that game. Other than a kickass soundtrack.

Other confession: the last Bethesda game I liked was Daggerfall.
    And I consider Fallout 3 a bland, unimaginative & boring walking simulator. New Vegas is the true sequel to Fallout 2.
    VallmyrSmilingSword
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    edited March 2016
    Early on in my BG2 career, when I was very young, whenever I played as a fighter and unlocked the fighter stronghold, I would raise the taxes as much as possible. I didn't understand the ramifications of what I was doing; I just thought it was a source of free money.

The funny thing is that the fighters I used weren't even evil.
    Post edited by OlvynChuru on
  • dok0zhivagodok0zhivago Member Posts: 82
    @OlvynChuru
    The innocence of youth.
    By now I guess you know that taxes are inherently evil ;)
    OlvynChuru
  • AutequiAutequi Member Posts: 403
    -I like Anomen and Nalia.

-I would like to play a mage every now and then, but I always end up being confused by what spells to memorize and cast.

-I don't really read the combat output.

And one not BG-related:
    -I probably won't play Pillars of Eternity because I heard the companions aren't all that interesting.
    Autequi said:

And one not BG-related:
    -I probably won't play Pillars of Eternity because I heard the companions aren't all that interesting.

The companions in PoE are probably the best thing about that game all of them interesting with great backstories. It's worth playing for Durance alone. The main difference between BG and PoE companions is PoE companions have more dialogue and you can't romance them.
    ButtercheeseAutequi
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    I don't actually play videogames. If not for the Baldur's Gate series and the Civilization series, I'd probably only use my computer for listening to music and reading books.

Autequi said:

The companions in PoE are probably the best thing about that game all of them interesting with great backstories. It's worth playing for Durance alone. The main difference between BG and PoE companions is PoE companions have more dialogue and you can't romance them.

I guess I just need to play the game and find out for myself. Thanks for the input, SmilingSword!

-I would rather spend an hour IRL on hit-and-run cheese than have my mages cast their precious spells and rest 8 hours in game time.
    SmilingSword
    BillyYank said:

I don't actually play videogames. If not for the Baldur's Gate series and the Civilization series, I'd probably only use my computer for listening to music and reading books.

BillyYank, if you don't play video games, what do you do with Baldur's Gate and Civilization? Run them simply to enjoy the music? Use them as an animated background? Use your party's bored banters as motivation? I don't get it.
    OlvynChuru
    Although I have barged into Oberan's Estate and murdered Shandalar's daughters many, many times, I have never actually completed the thieves' guild quest that is based around them. In fact, I don't think I've ever even started that quest.
    edited July 2016
    The only time I've ever lost to Illasara was when I was playing a kensai-mage.

I had created the character in Throne of Bhaal without having played through Shadows of Amn with him, so he had no companions. I dual-classed him immediately after starting the game. That was a bad idea, as then he would have to beat Illasara as a level 1 mage (one with a lot of health of course). He was unable to beat her.
    Post edited by OlvynChuru on
    ButtercheeseSmilingSword
    I still haven't finished Dragon Age Inquisitions DLC, the Witcher 3 DLC or even played SoD. I'm addicted to Warframe and I can't stop myself from playing, I need to farm all the things and make the best fashions.
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    Confession 1: I somehow missed this entire thread first time around.
    Confession 2: I had to Google "JRPG".
    mf2112VallmyrSmilingSword
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    Jungle rave party girl?
  • batoorbatoor Member Posts: 676
    I gave up on the HoMM series when Heroes 5 came out...They trashed the old setting and lore to make room for something new I wasn't the least bit positive about. I still find myself fuming over that^^
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    The first HoMM game I got to know was Heroes of Might & Magic V. It sparked my love for the series, but my most favourite is HoMM IV, despised by many. I haven't played much else of the series yet, just the openings of III and VI.