Skip to content

Armour class: The nitty-gritty

13»

Comments

• AlonsoAlonso Member Posts: 806
    So I think that I have a working definition now (which ammends one of the incorrect definitions I tried before):

Base AC: The AC a character has when any items he's wearing or magical effects that affect him which alter AC do so by setting the AC to a certain value, as opposed to altering it by a certain amount. It excludes the bonuses or penalties for specific types of damage.

Does that sound right (or at least correct)?
    semiticgoddess
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @Alonso: Basically, yes.
    jackjackmf2112Alonso
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    It's a bit of a circular definition, but yes. Items that "set" your AC to a specific value are setting your Base AC; all modifiers, whether universal or conditional, are applied to that number.
    Mr2150mf2112semiticgoddessjackjack
    How is it circular?
    @Alonso: Because "base" literally means "set" in this instance.

"What's your base AC?"
    "It's the number your AC is based on."
    A circular definition includes the term being defined as a part of the definition (explained here). The words "set" and "base" certainly don't mean the same, either in this context or in general. Try swapping them and you'll get something that doesn't even make sense.
    @Alonso: I'm trying to explain away a non-issue. @Dee's use of the word "circular" was irrelevant to begin with. His point was the second sentence, not the first. Ignore "circular"--it's not important anyway.

I'm just trying to keep things simple. We've been going over the same thing for two pages now and there has been no new revelations about AC or how it works.
    There have been quite a few revelations, actually. We clarified a lot of things regarding how AC works that I couldn't find anywhere else, including the meaning of "base AC". We pinpointed at least two problems in the documentation. I fixed a glitch in my game. Not bad for a single thread.