Skip to content

Caelar NPC mod (Can contain SOD Spoiler)

nysinysi Member Posts: 60
edited July 2016 in BGII:EE Mods
Hello all,

I'm currently working on a mod that add the possibility to recruit Caelar into your party in BG2 (SOA).
I'm a beginner in mod conception, but on holiday and get a lot of free time to work on it.

Regarding the mod :

- You can recruit Caelar in the Planar Sphere, on the abyss layer (MAP 0414).

- She a Lawful good Lv15 fighter. I plan to add a quest that could change her to a paladin (Probably a Morninglord of Lathander)

- Reason for her to be in the Abyss :
She was held prisoner by a Devil (Thrix the profane, the devil that propose a bargain at the end of SOD) but for unknown reason, this devil tried to exchange her with a Daemon and sent them to the abyss (It's the reason why you encounter her in the Abyss). A fight occurred and Caelar manage to flee.

I know it could be done better, but as I'm beginner, I prefer to start simple, and if needed to update it later when I'm more confident with weidu.

- As she was a prisoner, she do not held any weapon or item, and is in a bad state when you encounter her.
I would like to let her obtain his shield, sword and armor during a quest. (Not the helm, as the Unofficial item pack add it to the game already).

- The mod assume you let her live and join you during Sod final battle. But I tried to add dialogue option that also imply the contrary.

- So far, she only have two banter with Minsc and one with Imoen at the moment. I'm working on adding more and interject too.

- She's only available in SOA at the moment, but I will add an option to recruit her in TOB.

- She is fully voiced with her original voiceset. Remark : I'm almost sure the dev plan to add her as a DLC one day. There is a lot of unused voice in the game (Reputation happy/unhappy, a sound where she said she will avenge her sister..). If Beamdog release such DLC, I will no longer support this mod and stuck with the official version.

- I may add a french translation later, but no guarantee on it. (As it's my natural language).

I will not provide a download link for the moment (Not until I'm sure the mod is well written enough and that the code won't break the game..), but if some are interested to test it or to have a look at the files they can MP me.
For the moment, it's a very early "beta" version.

If someone has banter/interject idea, please submit them !
Any comment, critics, suggestion are welcome.

Comments

• shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    Delightful! :) I actually think Beamdog won't make Caelar DLC at all - setting aside the fact that her writers have left the company, the devs seem more focused on their next project, which means you're in the clear.

There is one thing I'd suggest, though: given the different ways you could've influenced Caelar at the very end of SoD (including turning her into a blackguard), if you want her to stay Lawful Good throughout you're going to need a convincing scenario as to why she might have "turned back" if she sided with Belhifet. It's probably something you can explain through dialogue...
  • nysinysi Member Posts: 60
    Thanks.

I do not plan to add the blackguard version of Caelar at the moment (But may be later, if EET become a thing, the game could remember your choice and allow the mod to put the right version of Caelar).

The mod otherwise imply she stayed Lawful good and fighted alongside the PC. Otherwise, she should be dead and not appearing.
    I've added some dialogue saying that the PC do not believe her to be the real Caelar.

I realize that modding Caelar is difficult as it's not my "NPC" but a property of Beamdog, then to the community. I will try to make everyone satisfied with the result, if possible.

• lansounetlansounet Member Posts: 1,182
    nysi said:

Thanks.

I do not plan to add the blackguard version of Caelar at the moment (But may be later, if EET become a thing, the game could remember your choice and allow the mod to put the right version of Caelar).

The mod otherwise imply she stayed Lawful good and fighted alongside the PC. Otherwise, she should be dead and not appearing.
    I've added some dialogue saying that the PC do not believe her to be the real Caelar.

I realize that modding Caelar is difficult as it's not my "NPC" but a property of Beamdog, then to the community. I will try to make everyone satisfied with the result, if possible.

Went to check the dialogue where she can turn or not and there's already a var to check if the game is imported from SoD : "bd_caelar_fate" is 1 if she became a Blackguard and 2 if she sided with you.
    Went to check the dialogue where she can turn or not and there's already a var to check if the game is imported from SoD : "bd_caelar_fate" is 1 if she became a Blackguard and 2 if she sided with you.

Oh thanks for this info.
    In this case, I can create both version of Caelar (Good and Evil) and spawn the right one depending of this variable?
    That's a very good news.

I just need to find a correct explanation, about how the evil caelar may have survived.
  • lansounetlansounet Member Posts: 1,182
    I'd just not spawn her if you killed her as a Blackguard
    nysi said:

I just need to find a correct explanation, about how the evil caelar may have survived.

Given that the Blood War pushes into Avernus every now and then, perhaps she led a contingent of devils to attack the Abyss? And when you find her she's the sole survivor. It'd be a nice thematic reprise of her original crusade - still a commander, after all...
    Given that the Blood War pushes into Avernus every now and then, perhaps she led a contingent of devils to attack the Abyss? And when you find her she's the sole survivor. It'd be a nice thematic reprise of her original crusade - still a commander, after all...

I like this idea. I will focus on the "good" version of Caelar first. I think the banter need to be completely different for the "evil" version and it's already a lot of work to do the banter for one NPC.

About Caelar class.

I'm not sure about how to handle it. I see two possibilities :

- First, Caelar is a warrior as the Lawfull good NPC in sod.
    Then a quest allow her to become a paladin again.
    She could help the Temple of Lathander, thus becoming a Morninglord of Lathander
    Or she could help the radiant heat, and become a Cavalier being killing some Daemons.

- Second choice, you choose the class/kit at the installation. Either a warrior with some sacred innate ability.. or Cavalier / Morninglord

As the second possibility is the simple one, I tend to it.
    Simplicity is best, I think - changing her class from Fighter to Paladin would mean spawning different versions of her at different points in the quest, which would mess with her skills and inventory, etc. Best to keep her as one or the other.

One thing you might want to keep in mind is that practically every NPC in BG2 has at least one special ability that's outside their pure class - Mazzy's a Fighter who can heal and haste, Sarevok has his Deathbringer Assault, Jaheira has Harper's Call, etc. You'll want to give Caelar a similar trait, maybe some form of aasimar racial bonus?
    In sod, she has a sort of Light bolt (The lv6 priest spell, but instant cast).
    Aasimar should also have a slight elemental resistance (5%)

I will stick to the class choice during the installation. Thanks for the advice.
    *nod* Shining Bolt would absolutely fit the bill.
    Something I'm wondering given the ambiguous nature of Caelar's class in-story during SoD: would it be possible to add some sort of function to Carsomyr where she could wield it even as a Fighter? Maybe something like "can only be wielded by paladins or aasimar"? She has divine blood, after all - wouldn't she be able to use holy weapons even without a god's blessing?
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    I don't know if Caelar really deserves to use Carsomyr with her character as shown so far - in fact I would be all for some kind of quest for her to reach paladinhood so she could earn the right to use the weapon instead. As for whether it's doable I think it might be just barely possible to code it but I'm not an expert on item usability.
    edited July 2016
    Good point! There's a technical problem with class change that came up when I was theorizing possible alternatives to Hexxat's ToB quest: apparently it's a bit of a challenge to change a companion's class mid-game, as you have to remove the existing version and spawn a new one (which in turn resets skill points and might even destroy the character's inventory). It's possible, but requires a lot of coding work.

It occurs to me, though, that there might be a happy medium between these points: what if you recruit Caelar as a fallen paladin? That way she functions as a Fighter initially, with Shining Bolt as her NPC bonus, but you can give her a redemption quest without having to swap .CRE files (since the game already has ways of triggering and undoing "fallen" status). Complete the quest, Caelar gets redeemed and becomes a true paladin. Fail, she stays fallen. A bit similar to Anomen's quest structure, perhaps, but it would certainly take less work to accomplish...
    That might be a good idea - it should be possible to make a 'fallen' paladin kit that functions like a fighter and then changes to an actual paladin afterwards. Kit change is generally less prone to issues than class change especially for warrior classes.
    edited July 2016
    Is it easier to change the kit instead of the class? Anomen change of kit seemed simple.
    Because I could change her from fighter to a hidden fighter kit matching the paladin style. Of course, she won't have the turn undead..

For example :

Shining Lady of the Aster

Pros :
    - May use Lay on Hand like a Paladin of the same level once per day
    - May use Detect evil and Protection from evil like a Paladin of the same level
    - May use Paladin weapon and item
    - May achieve Grand Mastery (5 slots) in any weapon class
    - May achieve specialization (two slots) in any fighting style and allocate three slots in Two-Weapon-Style
    - Gain the Shining Bolt ability at level 8, and another use at level 16 and 24

SHINING BOLT :
    Channel a bolt of divine energy to the target. Instant cast.
    Creature stuck suffer varying damage, depending on their plane of origin :

Creature type Damage
    Material plane 6d6
    Elemental 3d4
    Undead 8d6
    Demon 10d6

Cons :
    - Cannot Turn Undead
    - Cannot cast spell
    - Restricted to Aasimar

Using the fallen Paladin kit is also a good idea. It would allow me to turn her into a normal paladin.

I'm having a break for some days, and will get back to the work on the mod next week.

By the by, if you need a proofreader I'm happy to help - professional editor here. :)
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    I think giving her grandmastery in addition to paladin abilities might be a bit too overpowered.
    Also, I really love the idea of having a mod of her. She was probably my favorite new character in SOD.
    I'm would like to point out that giving a fighter kit the item usability of another class is bloody difficult to do, if not straight up impossible. I tried allowing my Mystic Fire paladin kit to use wands and scrolls and the only way was a roundabout method of enabling them for all paladins and adding a passive opcode to disable them again for the vanilla paladin kits. I eventually scrapped it. I suggest just either leaving her as a fighter or give her some custom paladin kit instead to make it simpler. Grandmastery with Carsomyr sounds like a terrible idea anyways. I assume you're also going to do something about her base level 15.
    Maybe give her regular npc scaling, that way she doesn't end up being massively overpowered compared to the pc, especially if (like I do) someone runs the planar sphere quest early.
    I think you have a good base here. I do have a question though, how will you habdle the PC clearing the temple ruins before recruiting Caelar?
    I guess I could add something on Thaxll'ssillyia to loot that could prove Caelar Success.. Even if she wasn't in the group.

I could also add a new boss in the temple after it had been cleaned by the PC, which would only spawn for the quest.
    It may be a problem with the ranger quest though, as Umar can also appear there.
    It's probably better to create a new, unrelated quest than to integrate into an existing one - for consistency and compatibility's sake. Of course, this depends on whether you're up to the task.
    Maybe have a pack of demons or a dragon spawn in an otherwise mostly empty area after the quest initiates, maybe as a map transition encounter.
  • LavaDelVortelLavaDelVortel Member Posts: 2,700
    My Foundling NPC introduce some changes in the Temple Ruins - that includes Thaxll'ssillyia's dialogue.
    Also a pack of demons or a dragon sounds a bit cheesy. I know Caelar is a rather epic character, but a pack of deamons? Less taking charname's spotlight, more analysis of the character. I believe she cannot be redeemed before she settles her stuff with the one she wanted to free from Avernus.
  • GrimLefourbeGrimLefourbe Member Posts: 637
    edited July 2016
    The making of the mod can be incremental though, it's surely easier to "just" add an item to loot on Thaxll'ssillyia before introducing a new quest with new areas etc. If somehow Beamdog confirms they will not make a Caelar dlc, it could be worth working on a lot of new dialogs for her but I believe a dragon or pack of demons is better for the sake of simplicity while the npc's future is still uncertain.(If you're going to write new lines for her, seeing how recent she is, it might be nicer to have some input from original writers?)
    Thanks you all for your advice.

I will reconsider the quest, doing something with Aunt Argent first make sense. But we do not know a lot about him.
    From what we saw in SOD, I guess he would not forgive Caelar but rather show her his disappointment, though also being glad to see her well.

But as Grim state, it may be simpler for me to start with a simple item on Thaxll'ssillyia. (And thay may not prove incompatible with Lava Foundling mod)

I tend to overwhelm myself with too much ideas for my projects and never finish them. Keeping it simple and reasonable is probably the best to start

I agree with Lava in that killing some fiends and performing the universe equivalent to 'community service', for lack of a better way of putting it, is cheesy and honestly a waste of Caelar's character. As the PC can say in SoD, she deserves to stand trial for her actions - and that could open up the potential for an interesting quest with multiple solutions.

Although I also agree it's more than you need to do at the moment, it's food for thought.
    Yeah, I was aiming for simplicity with my suggestion.
  • FemShepFemShep Member Posts: 22
    nysi said:

Seconds, and most important to me : Caelar sounds do not match a Blackguard at all. She speals of honor, light and righteousness in almost every sounds.

I don't know if it is possible to have two different sound sets for one NPC, but I am pretty sure that Caelar voice actress (or the one with the really similar voice) did some voice acting for Temple of Elemental Evil PCs.