Skip to content

[SPOILERS] My Siege of Dragonspear Review

ZaramMaldovarZaramMaldovar Member Posts: 2,309
So I just finished Siege of Dragonspear, and I have to say that I had fun.
The battles were very diverse and gave me a very Icewind Dale-esque vibe, the voice acting (though I criticized it before) is incredible, the side quests are intriguing and the dialogue between the characters is incredible. It had a compelling story, most of the supportings characters were very well written, and the appearance of Belhefit from Icewind Dale was a nice touch. I truly felt like I was playing Baldur's Gate. Also the music was incredible and the stories were bridged together fairly well.

My Complaints:
1. The splitting of the game into 6 chapters was unnecessary, 3 would have been fine.
2. After finishing up in Hell, the ending was pretty anticlimactic in my opinion.
3. After finishing the main plot in most areas, I found myself unable to return to those areas again. Most disappointing was the inability to level up to maximum and then go back and fight the dragon.
4. The Forced Start-Over after finishing off Sarevok's Followers at the beginning of the game was a mild to moderate annoyance, as I had grown very comfortable with my party and had amassed 80,000 gold. But the sub-plot with the treasurer made it worth my while.

All in all, I believe I will be more than happy to play again, since it is clear to me that there are multiple ways of proceeding with Chapters 9-12, and my first playthrough as a Sorcerer will probably not be nearly as successful as my planned 2nd playthrough with a Fighter.

All in all, it was an incredible experience and the good folks at Overhaul should be proud of the work they put into it. 8.5/10
Post edited by mf2112 on

Comments

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Yeah, that gold subplot is pretty great. My only real complaint is that because I had Imoen as my thief, I got no replacement for the first dungeon. Luckily my charname is a F/M/T but I have no points put into find traps.
  • ZaramMaldovarZaramMaldovar Member Posts: 2,309
    @thedamages But what do you mean? Safana is a theif, and a pretty good one to boot, unlike in the Original BG game. So good in fact, that I kept her throughout the game.
    In the beginning dungeon, you only have the party members you took to face Sarevok. Because I had Imoen, I had no dedicated thief for the introdungeon.
  • joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137
    You might want to put "spoilers" in the thread title.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    The diversity of the fights was one of the best aspects of SOD. Every single encounter was unique.

I recognized Revered Brother Poquelin's sprite in Hephernaan, and thought he was a sinister character from the start, but I didn't think he'd actually turn out to be Belhifet. Maybe I should steer clear of this place before I finish the game!
    @semiticgod You may not be as right as you think.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @thedamages: You mean... Belhifet really was a priest of Ilmater? :open_mouth:
    @joluv I suppose you are right, but I would have thought that was obvious. As for individual comments, I have no idea how to add the spoilers tab.
  • batoorbatoor Member Posts: 676
    edited July 2016
    I felt they could have done a lot more with Hephernaan. As it stands he was pretty much just the evil court wizard, with no further depth beyond that.

Irenicus was spot on when he called him a lick-spittle...
    @semiticgod Yeah you're definitealy right about the encounters. Beamdog has definitely shown they can do interesting and fun combat.
  • mf2112mf2112 Member, Moderator Posts: 1,919

@joluv I suppose you are right, but I would have thought that was obvious. As for individual comments, I have no idea how to add the spoilers tab.

Added a spoilers tag for you in the title. If you edit the first post in the thread you can change the title. :)
  • Clumsy_DwarfClumsy_Dwarf Member Posts: 112
    My only real complaint was the lack of melee NPCs early. OK, I had 2 archers early on my first run but still. I think one of the joys of the series is the choice of NPCs yo bring along.
    @mf2112 While I appreciate the gesture, please don't do things like that without my permission. And like I said, I thought spoilers were obvious since it's a review, people should be aware of the fact that a review will contain spoilers.
  • AndrewFoleyAndrewFoley Member Posts: 744

But the sub-plot with the treasurer made it worth my while.

So happy to see Ophyllis getting some love. The poor sod deserves it.

@AndrewFoley
    Oh my character was absolutely annoyed by his existence, by I liked the character he's very good. Too bad about what happened to him in Chapter 10 though.
  • AndrewFoleyAndrewFoley Member Posts: 744
    @DJ_Sweatz_2013 We were in a situatiom where it was pretty inevitable he was going to annoy the character. I had hoped to ameliorate that somewhat by at least making him somewhat entertaining for the player.
    @AndrewFoley
    Wait are you telling me that you are one of the writers? Because if so, thank you for all your hard work, the writers of this game have brought a piece of my childhood back to me.
  • brusbrus Member Posts: 944

You're very welcome and thank you for saying so. Hearing stuff like this from fans of the series makes the effort feel worthwhile.

Please don't hesitate to visit the forum often and bring a sentence or two of insightfulness and encouragement regarding any topic.
  • VbibbiVbibbi Member Posts: 229

My Complaints:
    1. The splitting of the game into 6 chapters was unnecessary, 3 would have been fine.

3. After finishing the main plot in most areas, I found myself unable to return to those areas again. Most disappointing was the inability to level up to maximum and then go back and fight the dragon.

All in all, it was an incredible experience and the good folks at Overhaul should be proud of the work they put into it. 8.5/10

I agree with these points. It was a good sized expansion and didn't feel rushed, but dividing the game into six chapters felt like it was trying to stretch out the feel of the campaign to the same size as the original BG1. I was also confused because aren't there seven chapters in BG1 but then SoD starts off as chapter 7 rather than 8?