Skip to content

If you could choose only one new companion from SOD to bring into BG2, who would it be and why?

13»

Comments

• FemShepFemShep Member Posts: 22
    Because my party desperately needs badass b. to counter Aerie.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    PK2748 said:

Speciesism is the more appropriate term for bias based on demihuman heritage

It would be, if such a word existed in Modern American English, the language of the Sword Coast.

Just as what happens in the real world would be more accurately described as colourism or relgionism.
  • JouniJouni Member Posts: 50
    If half-elves are fertile, humans and elves belong to the same species. The same can be said of half-orcs, half-ogres etc. "Racism" should be the technically correct term, though biologists prefer to talk about subspecies instead of races.
  • rapsam2003rapsam2003 Member Posts: 1,636
    Jouni said:

If half-elves are fertile, humans and elves belong to the same species. The same can be said of half-orcs, half-ogres etc. "Racism" should be the technically correct term, though biologists prefer to talk about subspecies instead of races.

Technically, half-breeds would generally be fertile. That said, half-breeds are typically VERY uncommon and the race distinction is always how D&D has stated it.
    @jouni is talking about the scientific definition of species. If two organisms can bread together and produce fertile offspring then they, by definition, belong to the same species.

How uncommon it is is irrelevent.
    Fardragon said:

@jouni is talking about the scientific definition of species. If two organisms can bread together and produce fertile offspring then they, by definition, belong to the same species.

It is relevant, because it doesn't matter in the D&D settings. D&D doesn't use scientific definition of species. D&D uses races, not the currently understood science.

Fardragon said:

It is relevant, because it doesn't matter in the D&D settings. D&D doesn't use scientific definition of species. D&D uses races, not the currently understood science.
    I believe @jouni was joking.

It's clear genetics in the Realms works differently to the real world.
  • KennisKennis Member Posts: 124
    I'd like M'Khiin over Hexxat in BG2EE - my only wish would be that she was evil, but my evil parties usually hover around 6-9 rep.
  • Camus34Camus34 Member Posts: 210
    edited July 2016
    Jouni said:

Half-elves would be considered hybrids, just as Ligers (two separate species, lions and tigers mated into one) are hybrids. Anyway, accusing someone of 'racism' instead of 'bigotry' in D&D is silly. Hence why I don't like M’Khiin as a character.
    Fardragon said:

PK2748 said:

Speciesism is the more appropriate term for bias based on demihuman heritage

It would be, if such a word existed in Modern American English, the language of the Sword Coast.

Just as what happens in the real world would be more accurately described as colourism or relgionism.
    What happens in the real world is the false taxonomy of racism, people take that physical trait of color (and other traits) and categorize humans by it (read de Gobineau's pseudoscience). The bigotry is added on after the fact, it's the insult added to the injury.
    Post edited by Camus34 on
    edited July 2016
    Ligers are infertile. That's why lions and tigers are classed as seperate species, rather than sub-species.

Half elves are fertile, so both parents must belong to the same species, according to real world science.
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    With the usual caveat that I haven't played (and might not play) SoD, I'd have to say M'Khiin. Admittedly, part of that is pure Deekin nostalgia - the memory of a tiny kobold with dragon wings telling the Lord of Cania to go screw himself - but there's something compelling about the lowest, most disposable of D&D's monster races becoming epic adventurers in their own right. That aside, a Shaman could hypothetically bring a completely different perspective to BG2 (insight into spirits in Athkatla, etc.) that Corwin and Glint wouldn't have.
  • PK2748PK2748 Member Posts: 381
    I just wish we could get definitive answers on the plN so I could plan my ultimate trilogy run. I want to tell a complete story of the Bhaalspawn in my own head start to finish here
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    M'Khiin, She was by far my favorite new NPC in terms of characterization. She also makes the most sense for me to be more of a wanderer and find her way south to try and track down the first person to extend friendship and trust to her.
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    edited July 2016
    corwin as she is needed to tie up that one little loose end sod ends on.

or you can assume skie's soul was freed from the dagger when jon was killed
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @megamike15 I would rather not see Corwin in bg2, if only because of her family in Baldur's Gate.
  • Camus34Camus34 Member Posts: 210
    edited July 2016
    Fardragon said:

Ligers are infertile. That's why lions and tigers are classed as seperate species, rather than sub-species.

Half elves are fertile, so both parents must belong to the same species, according to real world science.

You are incorrect; Ligers, unlike many hybrids, are fertile. Hence why I used them in my example.
    edited July 2016
    Camus34 said:

Fardragon said:

You are incorrect; Ligers, unlike many hybrids, are fertile. Hence why I used them in my example.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liger#Fertility - and there's proof, folks.

• spacejawsspacejaws Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 389
    Ok.

Volghin is my choice. Very limited amount of bards and I love his character. I think he fits best with just ending up in Athlanka.

Corwin is second because Rangers are also an underused class in BG2 and she has a great personality that I enjoy seeing her input.

Glint next seeing as he is kindof an overused class. The multi class thief who is good annoys me. Would still be really welcome to have him though as Clerics are a bit thin. His find all gos family quest is a riot Id love to see it continue.

M'Khiln last and simply because the chracter model annoys me. Not referencing the correct equipment and such and not letting you remove equipment it just kinda sucks. Otherwise she would have been my first choice for the class and third for the character.

All in all I would love to see the entire group make there way to BG2 or at least ToB would be a nice compromise.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    I love my Goblin Grandma.