Skip to content

Re-attack: No buttons line up in BG2:EE

rossbach451rossbach451 Member Posts: 168
This may be similar to the touch issues for the Android, but right now nothing 'lines up' to use any of the buttons: load game, which game to load, etc. To actually hit one of those buttons is a complete guess, I point and click all over the page. Anyone else encounter this? I just recently changed to Windows 10, but had this issue beforehand. I cannot play the game in any way. I asked this back in May, got no replies. Hoping for better luck this time around.

Comments

• rossbach451rossbach451 Member Posts: 168
    Hard to believe no one else has had this issue.
  • mf2112mf2112 Member, Moderator Posts: 1,919
    I can't say I have ever seen any other reports of it, sorry. Have you already done all the normal stuff, updated video drivers, DirectX, tried the Alternate Renderer setting under the game options?
    I have updated all drivers and DirectX, and I can't even get at the options to monkey about as the buttons are so offset I can't activate Options. Thanks, though, for responding! I was feeling a bit adrift.
    Do you have the UI Edit Mode turned on in the baldur.lua file?

SetPrivateProfileString('Program Options','UI Edit Mode','1')

If so, try hitting the F11 key and see if the yellow boxes for buttons are in the right places. You can hit F11 again to exit without making changes as long as you don't drag things around. Or maybe you could drag things around at that point to fix your issues. I am not sure how it would have gotten that way, have you ever loaded UI mods like Pecca's widescreen mod that changes button positions?
    Can't find the baldur.lua file, where is it? Thanks for your help!

Can't find the baldur.lua file, where is it? Thanks for your help!

It should be under C:\Users\username\Documents\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition by default, or C:\Users\username\Documents\Baldur's Gate II - Enhanced Edition for BG2.
    This is what I have: C:\Program Files (x86)\BeamDog\Games\00783. I am searching but can't find that file.
    Hold one, might have located it. Working.
    Nope, the baldur.ini file did not have UI edit mode in it.
    C:\Program Files (x86)\BeamDog\Games\00783 is where the game files are. The baldur.lua file should be where the save games are, which is C:\Users\username\Documents\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition by default, or C:\Users\username\Documents\Baldur's Gate II - Enhanced Edition for BG2.

Nope, the baldur.ini file did not have UI edit mode in it.

The baldur.lua file is what the 2.x versions of the game are using now, do you see it in the same folder?
    So was I supposed to add the line "SetPrivateProfileString('Program Options','UI Edit Mode','1')? If so, I either did it wrong or it didn't work.
    I have no .lua file anywhere.
    After adding it, then start the game. When you get to the load screen, hit the F11 key and look at the yellow boxes around buttons and see if they line up.
    I did, no love. I used that exact format, and added the line to the end of the .ini. Is that how you do it?
    I wasn't sure but if you don't have the baldur.lua file I am guess edit mode won't work. Maybe it is best to get a clean start there, try renaming the C:\Users\username\Documents\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition folder for BG1, or C:\Users\username\Documents\Baldur's Gate II - Enhanced Edition for BG2. Add a -old on the end of the folder name. When you restart the game then a new folder there and everything under it should be created.
    So do you suggest I get the update? Or uninstall everything?
    I think the update is good overall and I recommend it. I don't know if updating your current game is going to work right but I would suggest making a backup of the game data folders as well as the game save folders first just in case.
    OK, I will give it a shot. Thanks for your time and help, really appreciate it!