Skip to content

[Minor spoilers] Define cheese

I recently started playing Legacy of Bhaal in BG2, and I'm reading more comments about cheese in the LoB threads than I've read in any other thread. One comment in particular grabbed my attention:

It's not that the game encourages cheese now - it's that cheese is a minimum requirement, and you have to come up with strategies in addition to the cheese.

I'm enjoying so much LoB so far, but I don't like that idea at all. For me cheese is a no, no. If I need cheese to do it, it means I'm doing it wrong. But I guess that depends on your definition of cheese. For me cheese means you get an advantage which is unrealistic within the context of the fantasy, exploits the shortcomings of the game and/or is clearly not the way the game is meant to be played. Typical examples would be luring enemies from a group so you can take them one at a time. Or running away when the mages cast their buffs and coming back when the duration of their buffs has ended.

On the other hand, I'm not sure if you can consider cheese using the imbalances of the game. Many people say the Robe of Vecna is overpowered, and they're probably right. Yet you can get it even at level 8, and if it is there, ready to be bought, it means that's what the game designers intended.

So what's your definition of cheese?

Note: I decided to start using LoB when I was already in Spellhold, and since I didn't feel like starting the game again, I found a way to swith to LoB difficulty in the middle of the game. Of course, that means that my current view of LoB (and the possible requirement of using cheese to beat it) is different than other's.

Comments

• mf2112mf2112 Member, Moderator Posts: 1,919
    Defining "cheese" is like defining "obscenity". - "I know it when I see it." Potter Stewart
  • _Connacht__Connacht_ Member Posts: 169
    My definition of cheese is:

food derived from milk that is produced in a wide range of flavors, textures, and forms by coagulation of the milk protein casein. It comprises proteins and fat from milk, usually the milk of cows, buffalo, goats, or sheep. During production, the milk is usually acidified, and adding the enzyme rennet causes coagulation. The solids are separated and pressed into final form.[1] Some cheeses have molds on the rind or throughout. Most cheeses melt at cooking temperature.
  • Mr2150Mr2150 Member Posts: 1,170
    Agree with the other comments, play the game and enjoy it your way. Don't worry if someone else would consider it cheesy - it isn't their game, it's yours.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited July 2016
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    That definition is extremely broad and open to interpretation. So broad and so open, in fact, it's basically useless as a definition. It's more of an argumentative procedure you can go through, I suppose.
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    Alonso said:

So what's your definition of cheese?

I have two definitions of "Cheese." First and second.
  • ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766

Cheese is just a short-hand term that people use when talking about aspects of the game that are easy/stupid/unfair/suspension-of-disbelief-breaking/etc.

Defining vague terms using other vague terms is a sure sign that you're better off not trying to define at all ¬_¬
  • AlonsoAlonso Member Posts: 806

food derived from milk that is produced in a wide range of flavors, textures, and forms by coagulation of the milk protein casein. It comprises proteins and fat from milk, usually the milk of cows, buffalo, goats, or sheep. During production, the milk is usually acidified, and adding the enzyme rennet causes coagulation. The solids are separated and pressed into final form.[1] Some cheeses have molds on the rind or throughout. Most cheeses melt at cooking temperature.

OK, I think I'll stick to this one. It's specific, comprehensive, and (hopefully) well sourced :D

No, seriously, I guess you guys are right. Actually, this reminds me a bit of the time when I was new to the forums and I asked about the right party balance. The best party balance is the balance you enjoy playing most, and the correct definition of cheese is the definition that fits your playstyle best.
    Alonso said:

OK, I think I'll stick to this one. It's specific, comprehensive, and (hopefully) well sourced

It's literally a straight quote from Wikipedia, so... yeah.

Even disregarding that this is a single-player game where nothing you do has any impact on other people playing it, "cheese" has always been difficult to pinpoint even in multiplayer games. Look at games like StarCraft (where the term originated) and you'll find lots of arguing about what is and isn't cheese, really.
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    edited July 2016
    Cheese (in the non dairy product sense) is subjective and therefore can't strictly speaking be defined so I can only speak for myself as to how I see it.

I regard cheese as part of the learning curve:
    Stage one: Get backside kicked in a quest.
    Stage two: Use any means whatsoever to complete the quest - and find out what I'm actually up against.
    Stage three: Try to complete the same quest without using any exploits or items that felt like cheating to me at the time.

In other words, I use 'cheesy stuff' as a crutch or learning aid to help me get up to the next level of gameplay.

P.S. In my opinion, on a first run through, playing without a walkthrough or any sort of pre-knowledge, there is no such thing as cheese - anything that get's me out alive is OK by me.
    Of course using a walkthrough the first time you play the game is a different variety of cheese altogether.
  • JumboWheat01JumboWheat01 Member Posts: 1,028
    I always see cheese as purposefully and intentionally exploiting a certain AI characteristic.

Not that I haven't done so myself. Sometimes they just deserve it, I don't care what anyone says.
  • AlonsoAlonso Member Posts: 806

Not that I haven't done so myself. Sometimes they just deserve it, I don't care what anyone says.

So who exactly deserves it? The Bioware guys for not preventing the exploit? The Beamdog guys for not fixing it? Firkraag for being plain evil...? :D
    Alonso said:

So who exactly deserves it? The Bioware guys for not preventing the exploit? The Beamdog guys for not fixing it? Firkraag for being plain evil...? :D
    The Dice Gods.
    Definitely the npcs. If they start manipulating RNG against me, I'm gonna get my revenge. And they're not gonna like it.
  • ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    edited July 2016
    Don't anger the Dice Gods, they are not known to be forgiving D:
    They'd have to not be angry at me before they could get angry. Blasted RNG Gods...
    edited July 2016
    Schrödinger's Dice?