Skip to content

got a few story questions

I've had a few issues witht he story. I don't know why but this time it felt truly weird.

Anyway, I got out of candlekeep after being accused of the murders. I went right to the flaming fist quarters, and I've found the duke poisoned. Talking with the healer doppleganger he suddenly revelaed what he was and I killed him, while the duke asked me to go to the undercellar to kill the two assassins. Killed them, and got in the grand chambers with all the dukes. But I've got a lot of issues:

1) I didn't have to take the diary from cythandria's hands. No one told me about his diary, nothing at all.
2) I didn't meet angelo at all. I remember that you were supposed to be incarcerated by him, then ask tiax to get out of the prison, but this time it didn't happen.
3) I could just go in and murder the dopplegangers without even having the diary. What is going on?

Comments

• BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    If you go into Flaming Fist headquarters without invisibility, that's when you're supposed to get arrested, if you haven't already been arrested outside. It's not Tiax that frees you, but a child-killer named Neb.

It's possible to avoid the entire scenario using invisibility. Were you invisible when you went in?

You can't get into the duchal palace without an invitation, and if you go in there without the proof, the game is supposed to end with a loss right there.

Are you using mods? It sounds like some of your game scripting might be messed up. Did Sarevok flee after you saved the grand dukes, and you got sent on to fight him? One way or the other, the grand dukes scenario leads to the end of the game.

If you were able to proceed on and fight Sarevok, ending the game with a win, then I guess it didn't matter. It does sound puzzling, though.
  • ArthasArthas Member Posts: 1,091
    edited July 2016
    mate, all I had to do was just give the notes to the dukes that the two assassins under the cellar had.

When I got into the flaming fist headquarters, I wasn't invisible. I was just told "you are not supposed to be here. Scar is dead and angelo is the new chief" and some other stuff where I can tell them that I'm going to kill them all

Yup Sarevok fled and I completed the game ez pz.

I didn't even meet tamoko in the game's ending.
  • filcat88filcat88 Member Posts: 115
    Sarevok's diary is not necesary to end the game. Tamoko tells you about it.

For sure, you need the letter from the assasins in the undercellar, as a proof to get the dukes against Sarevok.

So yeah, you can skip being arrested by the FF and go directly from Candlekeep to the Undercellar.
  • randomhero890randomhero890 Member Posts: 86
    edited August 2016
    Avoiding incarceration is impressive. Since you enter Baldur's gate usually from east to west, I also zoned back in on the east side when I came back to the city after candlekeep. And right there, there are 2 guards waiting to arrest you. They will call you out and approach before you even notice them on screen, and you have no dialog option that will prevent your immediate arrest. If you get mouthy with Angelo, as I did my first playthrough, bad stuff will happen, that was an auto-save reload for me.

It wasn't until the second playthrough that I used invis/stealth to avoid arrest. But if you are stealthing by, you will notice guards looking for you at the edge of just about every city zone in BG. And when you need to bring the duke's body to the harbormaster, there's guards right there waiting to arrest you outside the harbormaster building, as if they knew that was an option you might take

So, like I said, it is...unlikely...that someone just playing through for the first time would have avoided arrest, unless they were reading a guide online
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    One of the letters that the assassins have is an invitation to the palace.

You can either deal with Cynthia, or them to progress the story.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    edited August 2016

Avoiding incarceration is impressive. Since you enter Baldur's gate usually from east to west, I also zoned back in on the east side when I came back to the city after candlekeep. And right there, there are 2 guards waiting to arrest you. They will call you out and approach before you even notice them on screen, and you have no dialog option that will prevent your immediate arrest. If you get mouthy with Angelo, as I did my first playthrough, bad stuff will happen, that was an auto-save reload for me.

It wasn't until the second playthrough that I used invis/stealth to avoid arrest. But if you are stealthing by, you will notice guards looking for you at the edge of just about every city zone in BG. And when you need to bring the duke's body to the harbormaster, there's guards right there waiting to arrest you outside the harbormaster building, as if they knew that was an option you might take

So, like I said, it is...unlikely...that someone just playing through for the first time would have avoided arrest, unless they were reading a guide online

I always use the sewer system to avoid arrest. It's much easier to finish the game that way, and I'm usually wanting to end it quickly and get to BG2 by the time I get to that point. Sometimes I get caught by one pair of guards on the ducal palace map, or that pair next to the harbormaster's office, and I keep Hold Person spells ready for that. They have lousy saves, and almost always both get Held. You can refuse to go quietly, and take no reputation hit if you disable them without killing them.

I don't think they can follow you into the sewers, either, so you can also just run. But Hold Person is better.

If I want to save Grand Duke Eltan first, I use Minsc with two potions of invisibility, while the rest of the party stands still in a safe spot outside the FF Headquarters. I usually save two PoI's through the whole game just for that purpose.

The Flaming Fist officers usually don't catch you if you stand still near a sewer grate and don't move around. I've found I almost always have to run into them while moving openly in the streets to get caught.
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    i somehow missed tomoko so she never showed up near the final area. all you really need to do is go to the iron throne, get the diary and info about the assassin. run to the left as a ff spawns and will arrest you. go to the sewer and kill the two in the brothel. then run the the palace and confront saravok.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975

actually did you know that the flaming fist soldiers you actually have unique names wont arrest you? for example, buddy by the house where you have to bring eltan is just a flaming fist soldier asking you if you need any help finding anything, and then there is the flaming fist dude on the top right side of the map area where the duchal palace is and he tells you about the craziness that is going on at the flaming fist, so in chapter 7, if you see a flaming fist with a unique name, you will be okay, but if you see a flaming fist comin' after ya with no unique name, run for the hills
    FinnTheHumanrandomhero890