Skip to content

5th edition implementation

brusbrus Member Posts: 944
edited July 2016 in Off-Topic
  1. In BG games you only select one function per character whether that be spell, quickbar, etc.
    Is encounter design with 5ed ruleset similar to BG or to NWN2/KOTOR using UI of 3 actions per character?

2. If so, are these 3 functions in 5ed ruleset tied to the rounds sequentually? So, current action is called in first round, second function in the next round and final action in third round.
    Or multiple ones can be called in single round?
Post edited by brus on

Comments

• DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    It's not really like either, to be honest. BG and NWN both use abstractions of rounds during combat. KOTOR is probably closest, where you can queue up actions, but when they're queued they take place in real-time.

In 5e, you have the following actions, which you can take in any order on your turn:
    1. Action
    2. Bonus Action
    3. Movement

Action

This is what the majority of activities use during combat. Attacking, casting most spells, interacting with objects, these are all things that use Actions. You have one Action per turn.

Bonus Action

Sometimes you'll have an ability that specifically uses a Bonus Action. Not every character has one of these abilities. No matter how many of these abilities you have, you can only take one Bonus Action per turn.

Movement

Your speed determines how far you can move on your turn. Your movement doesn't have to be all at once, and you can break up your other actions with movement however you like. You can even move between attacks during the Attack action, if you have multiple attacks.

In addition to these, you can also take a single Reaction every round, if circumstances permit it.

Reaction

These are activities that you take in response to a specific set of circumstances, like an enemy moving out of your reach. You take your Reaction on any turn, even if it's not your own. The situations where you can use a reaction are predefined in the rules. You can only take one Reaction per round (you get your Reaction back at the start of your turn).
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    In 5e, there is standard action, bonus action and reaction while in combat. Each turn, you are allowed to perform one.
  • brusbrus Member Posts: 944
    Which programming language would be the "easiest" to implement 5th edition ruleset in the game?
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    brus said:

Which programming language would be the "easiest" to implement 5th edition ruleset in the game?

That depends on the game engine. If it's being based on Unity, you're using C# or UnityScript.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    I don't think implementing 5th edition would be significantly different to 2nd or 3rd if you where making a real time with pause crpg.

The ablity to queue up actions in the nwn series is a convienience, not a consequence of the PnP rules.

I think it would be easier to adapt the BGEE engine as it stands to 5th edition than it was to adapt it to 3rd edition in IWD2 (not that that is what is happening).
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @brus Do you have any programming experience?
  • brusbrus Member Posts: 944

Do you have any programming experience?

I was learning C++ on the college( :sweat_smile: ) but I'm using only python for computation/art.
    I also got tutorials for Ruby but never used it in some substantial area.

Would it be easier to implement 5th ruleset in UE4 using blueprint?
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @brus Implementing the rules in code is very different from making a game. You don't need a game engine to implement the rules. If you're familiar with Python, use that ;)