Skip to content

Just for fun: How long do you take at 'Character-Creation'?

BaldurspawnBaldurspawn Member Posts: 66
While playing BG1, I already started planning another MC xD (especially since rasaad started to bore me, so I don't need to keep being female)
Most of the times my planning takes FOREVER and another minute on top ,-,
I not only plan my class pre-game, but also overall personality, party-members, romance, weapon-specs for all of my party...
And then, I find something else super-interesting, so I start again xD
And when I am FINALLY really finished, I need to make up my mind about mods D:

How is that with you? ;)

PS.: how do you edit polls? hit enter too early xD
  1. Just for fun: How long do you take at 'Character-Creation'?33 votes
    1. I just start and am happy ^^
      33.33%
    2. An hour till I am satisfied
      36.36%
    3. It takes a day but then it works
      30.30%
RodrianRavenslight

Comments

• Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    The actual character creation is a few clicks for me, because I know exactly what I want going in. Stat rolls etc are all adjusted in EEKeeper later on anyway, so I don't need to sit there for an hour until the total fits (though to be fair, my usual parties are only 80 + 85 CHARNAME so that wouldn't take long anyway).

Now, if we go by time spent thinking about what to play, puzzling out the minute details of party composition and gear distribution, editing stock NPCs to be what I want, etc. etc.... That may take some more time.
    semiticgoddess
  • JumboWheat01JumboWheat01 Member Posts: 1,028
    I wouldn't say it takes a DAY, per se, at least if I'm not counting the time I spend rolling stats, but I often start planning and designing a character WELL before I fire up the game, and I often hem and haw a bit while I'm actually in the process of making them. Especially at the color section and name section.
  • GallengerGallenger Member Posts: 400
    I've been playing for a while with just taking the roll I'm given on the very first opening of the stats menu and playing through the game with that character - makes for a pretty interesting time, especially in BG1, since you can end up with some deeply flawed characters lol.

I do allow myself the liberty of flipping 1 of the scores, so that I don't end up with a fighter who has 9 STR and 16 WIS - because that would just bother me on a fundamental level.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    I reckon character creation is the best part of an rpg. Not only do I spend ages on the character creation screen, I spend ages thinking about characters and working things out with pencil and paper.
    Grumdunbar
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    I take days to decide on the next run. By the time I start the game, I already know what kind of character I'm going to make.
    Skarose
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    I also spend hours thinking of a good concept, biography, which party to have... and that's why I would never do a no-reload run , it would take me a whole lot of time to create another character!
    SkarosedunbarRavenslight
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    I roll outside of the game, then pick my class and race from the stats. Those times I want to play a certain character, I take the first set of stats that meets the class requirements.
    Skarosedunbar
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    'bout an hour.

I first choose a race and gender in my head then flip through the portraits looking for one that I feel matches the character I want to play.

I then choose a class/kit, rereading the descriptions attempting to find some attribute about one of them I haven't built a character around yet or for awhile (like being a thief that specializes in detecting illusions only then dualing to a cleric or fighter, or being a grandmaster kensai with a weapon I rarely ever use).

I then roll my character until I hit 85 (or 14 in all stats +1). Then I distribute my points accordingly. I then distribute my skills/spells attempting to keep in mind the character I want to play but not over thinking it.

I choose my colour scheme, name my character then off to Candlekeep where I choose what type of play through I want to do (quick, thorough, no revive, no reload etc).
  • RodrianRodrian Member Posts: 426
    If editing, you should add an option: "It takes me more time planning the character than actually playing with it. . To be honest, I don't remember the last time I've *played the game* really. ."
    semiticgoddess
  • kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 1,308
    Since I don't use EEKeeper I take as long as needed to get myself a great set of stats. I'll keep hitting that reroll button for hours if that's what it takes. But after that it only takes a few minutes to finish up because I will have figured everything else out for my character ahead of time.
    Skarose
  • BaldurspawnBaldurspawn Member Posts: 66
    @Rodrian
    I'm trying xD
    I cant figure out how to add more poll options o.O
    Thats exactly why I thought to make such a poll ^^
    I had my last char planned in 3 days (romancing Rasaad) to take her through the whole trilogy, but ever since Rasaad started to bore me, I am thinking to 'change' her completely (thus pretty much discarding her) D:
    Though I will stay a Battlemage of some sort 3:)
    Rodrian
  • RodrianRodrian Member Posts: 426
    @Baldurspawn yeaa, I'm afraid there is no such option (editing polls that is. .), but maybe some kind @Mod could help you with that (huh, we have a Mod named dweller around :neutral:)
    If you want, you can *steal*  my neutral-priestess-of-Oghma-later-turning-to-evil-priestess-of-Bhall type 'o character! :blush:
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    I'm always rollin, rollin, rollin.
    Skarose

I'm always rollin, rollin, rollin.

Aren't we all? I swear RNG is a troll when we want good stats.
    ThacoBellSkarose
  • OudynOudyn Member Posts: 74
    A roll-based system and a desire for high numbers in all stats means character creation takes all day. I tend to play warriors, so all the physical stats need to be high, but I feel like I'm cheating if I pick the rational answers to problems with low mental stats.
    Skarosekanisatha
    I think you only need about an 85 on a roll to have capped physical stats and 10s in all the mental stats. 10 means you can be a perfectly fine, rational person, if just not as smart as that geeky wizard down the street.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    I aim for 90-93, I may have problems.
    Skarose[Deleted User]
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    Creation of my next character usually starts when I'm reading something on this board that sparks some silly idea in my head.
    Then I write a back story to explain why that character is the way he is, which in turn will give me an idea of the sort of stat profile I need.
    Working out weapon proficiencies probably takes me the longest as my favourite weapons often don't suit my character build (although I do 'cheat' sometimes and build a character with specific weapons in mind).
  • sluckerssluckers Member Posts: 280
    edited July 2016
    I roll to the first score over 80, then get ten rerolls to get a higher score. If I get a higher score, I get 10 more rerolls. So I might get something like this. 1st get 80, roll 3 times, get 83, roll seven times get 86, roll ten times and get nothing over 86.

86 it is.

Other than that, deciding character class only takes a moment, usually as a new idea strikes me. The rest of the character comes together as I play.

Very occasionally I create a fuller character as part of a custom party. I did that in BG2. Here's one of the characters I created, an evil halfling berserker:

Praxidike
    Not much is known about Praxidike (Prax-i-di-kee), other than that she appears to be a halfling of appetites. She's obviously glommed onto Umbriel, though the ranger still isn't sure if the lingering gazes she attracts from the diminuitive berserker are expressions of friendship, a desire for something more intimate, or just plain hunger.

Perhaps the halfling stays with the group out of necessity; the berserker shows a keen, if brutal, intellect. There is a self-control under the animal exterior, along with the recognition of knowing what's in her benefit and what isn't. Everyone needs to be somewhere, after all, and Praxidike has already been banned from most everywhere else. She gets on terribly with others, and she's prone to impulsive behaviours--personality flaws that are right at home in the heat of battle. Prax's philosophy is that you come into this world naked, screaming and covered in blood, and if you play your cards right you can go out of it the same way.

Rumour has it that a large sphere containing creatures from all over the planes recently landed in the slums, and that while no one has certainly been able to get in and verify these claims, it's said that something did, in fact, get out. How the purported escapee--seen only by unreliable drunks and beggars in the deep of night--managed to bypass the wards on the door is anyone's guess, and suggesting that Prax might know something of this yields no revelations. She knows nothing about that, she insists, before cracking an unsettling grin that discourages further questioning. The trepidation she inspires with such crazed mannerisms varies; some hesitate to seek answers for fear of reprisal from the bizarre and 'not-quite-right' halfling, while others think better of asking questions to which they don't want answers... for fear of learning the very real and awful truth.

A great many others are merely unsettled to encounter the contradiction of a halfling--a race with whom most are so familiar--in possession of such an alien nature. She's incongruent, she doesn't fit. She's a halfling, but not quite as you know them. You might say... she's not of this world.
    ThacoBell