Skip to content

Dwarf or Gnome?

I plan on starting new playthroughs with the last two races I have never played as. Unfortunately, I am incredibly indecisive and a chronic sufferer of restartitis. So, I want to hear your opinions! All the gnome and dwarf lovers, what do you love most about your favorite race, and what classes do you suggest?

Comments

• deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Just flip a coin.

Unless you want to play an arcane caster, then you have to take gnome.

Gnomes allow you to also play cleric/theives.
    Dwarves allow you to play dwarven defenders.
  • JumboWheat01JumboWheat01 Member Posts: 1,028
    The biggest advantage gnomes have is that +1 Intelligence. With a starting INT of 19, they can learn all arcane spells available to them per level. While being an Illusionist is good and all, it works best when multi-classed, as Illusion magic is generally more useful to both Fighters and Rogues anyway. And if you want to be the ultimate of spell casters, the Cleric/Illusionist even weakens the lack of arcane Necromancy spells thanks to having some divine alternatives. Cleric/Illusionists, like Fighter/Illusionists, can still use the glorious Elven Chainmail, so don't worry, you won't be totally flimsy. Of course, that extra INT is worthless if you aren't at least part Illusionist.

Dwarves, on the other hand, their biggest advantage is that +1 Constitution, which Fighters and Fighter/Anything love. Plus it puts them one tome away from hitting natural regeneration levels. Very handy. Of course, that extra CON is worthless if you aren't playing at least part Fighter. After all, shorty saving throws cap out at 18, and 16 is only one point shy from the max.

Speaking of shorty saving throws, Dwarves (and Halflings) do one-up Gnomes in this department. Gnomes get bonuses to Spell and Wand saving throws, while Dwarves (and Halflings) get bonuses to Spell, Wand AND Death saving throws. Sure, the former two that they share are more common, but there you go.

In short, play a Gnome if you want to at least be part Mage, a Dwarf if you want to at least be part Fighter, and a Halfling if you want to at least be part Thief.
  • alceryesalceryes Member Posts: 380
    edited July 2016
    Gnome Fighter/Thief is pretty good. What's just as important as having a bonus in a primary stat? NOT having a negative in one (no negative to STR, DEX, or CON). Plus, Gnomes get great racial thief bonuses.
    Gnome Fighter/Illusionist/Thief is where it's at, though! As long as you don't mind EEKeepering it in.

Dwarf Dwarven Defender is also a spectacular choice. Pick axes so you have melee and ranged covered. Then get Beruel's Retort (throwing axe +1 - same 'average' damage as battle axe +1) in your main hand as a MELEE weapon for the cheapest magical melee weapon in the game. Once my Dwarven Defender started dual wielding Beruel's Retort and battle axe +1 (at third level you put the third pip in two-weapon fighting), he was literally a lawnmower of destruction!
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Lots of good advice here. I almost exclusively play multiclass characters, so I'm leaning toward F/C for dwarf or F/I for gnome. A lot of good suggestions here though. You guys ar giving me a lot to think about.
    @Grum Somehow I knew you were gonna be the first reply.
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100

Lots of good advice here. I almost exclusively play multiclass characters, so I'm leaning toward F/C for dwarf or F/I for gnome. A lot of good suggestions here though. You guys ar giving me a lot to think about.
    @Grum Somehow I knew you were gonna be the first reply.

Well of course!

A side note...for the dwarven Fighter/Cleric, I gave him ** in hammers and ** for two weapon fighting in BG1. Then when leveling up, he got ** in flails/morning stars.

Then for BG2, he ended up with the Defender of Easthaven. It goes perfectly with a cleric because of armor of faith. The two just go together so well. I never finished that saga/run, unfortunately. Flail of Ages and Defender of Easthaven go together really well for a fighter/cleric. You won't even need Crom Faeyr, given that you'll have Str20 naturally (tome, lum) and then have draw upon holy might to push you up in the strength department all you'll need. Eventually throw in Righteous Might (to again easily get that 25 strength and to do max damage with each hit) and you'll have a wrecking ball of destruction.

I just wish that he could have the sound file that goes "By Moradin's Hammer" when clicked on.
    I didn't consider flails, hmmmm
    Nobody ever thinks of flails. It's all "sword sword swords!" with the occasional splash of axe or warhammer, if dwarves are involved. Swords are so boring. Flails are awesome.
    edited July 2016
    Yeah, I've always been a fan of longswords :smiley:
    *edit* Okay, going with a female dwarf F/C. She will start with hammers in BG and move to Flails in SOA. Haven't decided on dual wield or shield long-term, but I will cross that bridge when I get to it. Thanks for the advice everyone :smile:
    Post edited by ThacoBell on
    Female dwarf... very good choice. There are not enough female dwarf heroes/companions in D&D based games, or games with dwarves in general.
    Its funny, I usually play females in these kind of games (not enough heroic female leads in fiction IMO) but have never done it for BG.
    I'm the opposite. Unless a game causes me to play a female, like the Metroid series for example, I always play male characters. Though for me, it's because it's easier to roleplay and "get in the skin" of someone that's the same gender as me.
    I don't typically roleplay as myself. There is not a game that exists with snarky enough writing.
    Clearly you need to play Dragon Age 2 with the Snarky Hawke personality. It's... it's just genius.
    I looooove snarky Hawke. The one thing DA2 did better than 1 was character interaction.
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    Gnome... YOU NEED TO PICK GNOME.

They are simply the best.

Better than all the rest.

Better than any-other race,

Any player race at least...

Gnina Gnurner aside...

Gnomes get -1 to wis... You get given three books of +1 wis just to make up for that because... GNOMES.

More romance options than your average dwarf (Because we no our way round a cabbage...)

cleric/illusionist is like ALL THE SPELLS ! ! ! Nearly... The spells your missing because of the school can be cast better by the cleric side of your character anyway... Also you can gain some through bhaal abilities.

Okay. Gnomes ain't your front line troops...

Orcs make better fighters in my opinion as they can kill things quicker with their higher strength.

Dwarves absorb damage...

Sooo... Are you gonna be a punchbag dwarf or a gnome?
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    Gnomes for everything that isn't a frontliner or is a Cleric/Thief (IMO Clerics are frontliners). Unless you really wanna play a Necromancer which really sucks (at least in BG1 where not being able to have Invisibility/Mirror Image is harsh, but on ToB/late SoA those juicy ADHW make up for that when compared to the Illusionist IMO. Oh and you can cast Skull Trap, the 2nd most Cheesiest Spell in the game (right after vanilla BG2 Spell Shield)).
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    Anduin said:

Gnome... YOU NEED TO PICK GNOME.

They are simply the best.

Better than all the rest.

Better than any-other race,

Any player race at least...

Gnina Gnurner aside...

Gnomes get -1 to wis... You get given three books of +1 wis just to make up for that because... GNOMES.

More romance options than your average dwarf (Because we no our way round a cabbage...)

cleric/illusionist is like ALL THE SPELLS ! ! ! Nearly... The spells your missing because of the school can be cast better by the cleric side of your character anyway... Also you can gain some through bhaal abilities.

Okay. Gnomes ain't your front line troops...

Orcs make better fighters in my opinion as they can kill things quicker with their higher strength.

Dwarves absorb damage...

Sooo... Are you gonna be a punchbag dwarf or a gnome?

Well this one is going in the book of grudges
    Am I gonna have to do two concurrent playthroughs now?
    One does not simply have only one character in Baldur's Gate. I have several, my dwarven berserker, a gnome cleric/illusionist, a halfling fighter/thief...
  • PhælinPhælin Member Posts: 316
    Dwarves ftw, but Dwarven Defender is overpowered. Still fun, though.