Skip to content

Journal Entry for Neera wont show

LeokostaLeokosta Member Posts: 73
Hi. I just got to Beregoust, and saved Neera from the mages. Then the journal should update, but when I click on tje journal, there´s no entry. There´s just an "Neera" entry, if I click, nothing shows. I am afraid to continue the game, and the quest is broken. Any help ? Thanks and sorry for the bad english.

GoG Version: 2.3.67.3

Comments

• Mr2150Mr2150 Member Posts: 1,170
    edited July 2016
    You can continue - don't worry - the quest is not broken.

The journal entry should be titled 'Something Wild' but the entry is listed as 'Neera' instead. It will update in about 1-day when she next speaks to you.

There are several broken journal entries like this.
  • LeokostaLeokosta Member Posts: 73
    edited July 2016
    @Mr2150 Hey, friend. Thank you again for the answer. I am a bit paranoid with bug. I am afraid to death to contiue the game for hours, just to discover a bug, and then have no solution. your pic is exectly what happens to my game. Now I am reassured B)

edited July 2016
    No worries, buddy :)

There are quite a few entries like this. I am collecting together a list of about 10 - 20 of them and I will report them as official bugs to Beamdog. If in doubt, or if any concerns, save often and keep those saves. That way, if something does go wrong you can revert to an earlier save.
    Mr2150 said:

No worries, buddy :)

There are quite a few entries like this. I am collecting together a list of about 10 - 20 of them and I will report them as official bugs to Beamdog. If in doubt, or if any concerns, save often and keep those saves. That way, if something does go wrong you can revert to an earlier save.

Yep, I´ll do that. The problem is if the bug ocurrs on chap 1, and I discover it on chap 3 . lol . Hope BD works on these bugs. I found another one of these bugs on the entry "A Farmer´s Tale" . Maybe you didnt know about this one.
    edited July 2016
    I didn't, but I will check it out and add it to the list.

Funnily enough, the very first journal entry in BGEE is exactly like this - instead that journal entry updates to 'Important Events'. So there is something odd happening in general.

The same for BG2EE.

edited July 2016
    Playing with EEKeeper, if I load a save, go to the journal entries tab, select the the bugged entry, edit and change Entry Type from Info to Quest seems to fix the problem. Dont know if it will have problems ahead, though.

Post edited by Leokosta on
    I will add that to the potential fixes but I wouldn't suggest to do that yet... it may cause issues ... so backup/save and be careful ;)
    OK - I found the cause of the problem in the vanilla code:

if(objective.stateType ~= const.ENTRY_TYPE_INFO) then --info entries should not go into quests table.insert(questDisplay, objective) table.insert(questChildren, #questDisplay) end

Basically - this is making sure that INFO entries do not go into the quest display. I may be able to tinker with the code so that they at least go into the journal display instead.
  • NatregNatreg Member Posts: 100
    edited July 2016
    What they need to do is update the journal entries of the Info type that are Quests to the Quest Type. I did update Neera's journal entries on my override folder and that solved the issue.

Patching that code regarding "info entries should not go into quests" will not be a good solution since the journal entries that are failing are suppose to be quests. That code is probably working as it's supposed to be.
    edited July 2016
    It's a big assumption to say that the failing journal entries are all quests. It may be in this example, and patching it may fix it, however it is better to find a solution that works for all items - and making the assumption could have further unknown ramifications to the user's quests.
    It's been set as INFO for a reason - just because we don't know what the reason is, doesn't mean it's not valid. It could also be an error on Beamdog's part but remotely patching it hides the issue from Beamdog and they aren't then given the opportunity to fix it.

The first step would be to collect the issues and report them.
    Then, let Beamdog decide whether they need to be changed or not.

In the meantime, I can make a change in the UI code to ensure INFO entries are included as journal items (not as a quest items). At least that way they will appear and if Beamdog later 'correct' the issue then my added code will be obsolete, but not corrupt/impact anything (as it is only acting INFO entries of which there are now fewer).
  • NatregNatreg Member Posts: 100
    I wasn't suggesting all of them were Quests, nor I was suggesting doing a patch reworking all NPCs that have that info type. What I meant is that if they are indeed quests, they should be added to the journal as such, and in those cases the NPC dialogue is where they should work on.

Altering the code, means altering how the info type works, which by all means may not be working as intended, but we don't know what their design plans were.

I agree that they have to be collected first and then let beamdog fix them accordingly with how they were suppose to work on the first place.

At first I thought only the EE NPCs were affected though.
    How I intend to change the UI code doesn't change how the info type works at all.

I'm talking about modifying the UI code only - the info type would stay the same for all the existing INFO entries. The only thing different would be the way the existing entries are displayed (or not displayed as in the case here).
    Basically the quest display function prevents these entries from being displayed as a quest because they are state = INFO, this is correct for the majority of the INFO items. It's easy enough to add them as a user journal entry instead however. So at least this 'INFO' is actually recorded somewhere and can be re-read by the user later. Currently it appears as a popup and then is gone completely.

Later, if Beamdog move the state from INFO to QUEST then my code would ignore it (as they are no longer INFO) and they would appear in quests as Beamdog intended, and the remaining and genuine INFO items would still be available If they aren't already.
    edited July 2016
    Second entry of Neera´s quest also dosnt show on the journal. I´ll post the ocurrences I find here, just as a feedback.
    edited July 2016
    The entry when you first meet Kivan on HIgh Edge dosent show.

edited July 2016
    @Leokosta - how's this look ?

I made it so that instead of 'Journal Updated' it reads as 'Information!' and that information is only added to your journal IF you click the pop-up :)

Small journal of Pecca's mod:

Large journal of Pecca's mod:

@Mr2150 It is great At least we will have the information available. Do you have to do the trick with each entry or is it a Global tweak ? Also, my personal preference is that it should be added to the Journal without the need to click the pop up, cause I am sooooo slow lol ... but its just a personel preference. Is there a chance that your changes will cause problems to quests, or they are just "cosmetics" ?
    edited July 2016
    It's a global tweak - so not quest specific. Unfortunately, currently the way to add notes is after a user has clicked something (which forces the note to be added) so I'm not sure I can add it by default but I'll keep looking. But, I also think it's useful to be optional - for example, the user might not be interested in keeping Kivan so that note is not useful information and they wouldn't want it to go in their journal.

It shouldn't mess up any quests as the note is a user note not a journal or quest entry, and the user can add as many manual notes whenever they like.

I need to do some more testing as some INFO items are 'Important Events' so I need to filter these out.
    @Mr2150 Nice. In the mean time, I´ll keep playing and reporting missing entries. Just a dumb question, how to apply your changes on my game ?
    Assuming approved by Pecca, they would be added into the next version of his mod.
    Mr2150 said:

Assuming approved by Pecca, they would be added into the next version of his mod.

Yeeeeeyyy :D
  • PeccaPecca Member Posts: 2,181
    Mr2150 said:

Sure thing. :)
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    Mr2150 said:

@Mr2150 - Is it also going into your stand-alone journal mod, or is that no longer developed?
    @AstroBryGuy - I will be adding it in there once I'm all done :)