Skip to content

timestop and the rainbow road

ameliabogginsameliaboggins Member Posts: 287
about to buy my first timestop...

ABout to break new groudn here, am not an expert MU (old dnd shorthand)

Never used a spell sequencer before....

DO you have to set it up every morning? post sleep.

what do you recommend using with timestop...presumable offensive stuff.

Can you also recommend a defensive sequencer as well.

Probably about time i tried to get into using these!

btw does improved alacrity remove casting time? makes cast instantly like a wild mage? or it do something else.

thanks)

Comments

• sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    once you set up a sequencer spell, it will still in your special abilities button until you unleash it

and yes, spell sequencer can be used for defensive, but if you use a spell that is supposed to be self and try and cast it on someone else it will fail for ex: if you have spell sequencer store mirror image as one of your spells and then cast it on yourself it will work, if you try and cast that same sequencer on someone else it will fail

improved alacrity erases the pause between casting, as you would have noticed, every time your mage has casted a spell in the past, they always paused a little bit before they casted another one, improved alacrity makes it so that pause is now gone, so as soon as you cast a spell you can start firing off your next one, but be warned, it has a pretty short duration, so careful timing is necessary

and with timestop, depending on how you play it doesn't really matter what spells you cast while time is stopped, whether it be crowed control spells like symbol stun, or offensive spell like abi-dalzims horrid wilting, or maybe some debuffers like breach or ruby ray of reversal, usually a timestop will allow you to cast about 3 spells before it runs out ( also depending on their casting times and if you are wearing any casting time cutting items)

if you really want to novelize on timestop and unload an entire spell book you will need the robe of vecna and the amulet of power and then you could do something of this calibre:

cast timestop
    then cast improved alacrity
    then cast abidalzims horrid wilting x3
    then cast timestop
    then cast improved alacrity
    then empty spell book

if done right, and if you're quick McGraw on the draw when it comes to pausing the game, casting spells as soon as the previous one ends, if im not mistaken you should be able to do it in that order ( its been a while since I've used the spell emptying strategy on enemies since its not really necessary to beat the game)
    and remember you will need the robe of vecna and amulet of power, to get your spell casting time as low as possible to do this

but the best thing to do, is experiment with it yourself and see what suits your fancy, there really is no right or wrong way to play the game, and the thing that is awesome about the bg series is that there are so many different ways you can over come challenges, so never worry about if you think you are doing something wrong, as long as you are winning, then you are definitely doing it right
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    edited July 2016
    Use auto pause on spell cast from options. Thus, you can use improved alacrity to its full potential. With robe of vecna and amulet of power, you can cast most spell instantly, and it auto pauses, so you can choose another spell immediately without losing precious seconds of improved alacrity. (it only lasts about 12 seconds so each second counts!)

Magic missiles, flame arrows, lightnings/fireballs, skull traps, sunfires/cone of colds, all can be cast in the blink of an eye (1-2 seconds) with robe of vecna+amulet of power+improved alacrity+auto pause trick. You can also release several horrid wiltings but they will not have instant casting time, taking about 3 segments to cast:still with auto pause you will save precious time. Better yet, have your project image do this and empty his spellbook so your own spells will still be available.

For defensive, stoneskin+mirror image+fireshield sequencer is good enough for emergencies. For triggers, mislead+pro from magic weapons+spell deflection will work in a pinch. For chain contingency, almost any combo is possible. One offensive favourite is the nuke em all:3 horrid wiltings, nearest enemy, enemy seen. It can decimate an entire enemy unit before they can even react. (60d8 magic damage, area effect, party friendly, does not count from your daily spells if cast yesterday and counts as an extra action in a given round)
  • ameliabogginsameliaboggins Member Posts: 287
    `but you can make any weapon strike as +3 with EE's new Enchanted Weapon spell.`

in my blacck pits run through, i can summon a weapon, one of four types.

summons them out of thin air....

this the same spell your talking about? or is it updated on a later patch?

• sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975

`but you can make any weapon strike as +3 with EE's new Enchanted Weapon spell.`

in my blacck pits run through, i can summon a weapon, one of four types.

summons them out of thin air....

this the same spell your talking about? or is it updated on a later patch?

I believe in the 2.x patches and above, they change it so that if you cast this spell on a character it will make their weapon hit as if it was a +3 weapon

• mf2112mf2112 Member, Moderator Posts: 1,919
    Also remember that once you set up sequencers and contingencies you can rest and rememorize the same spells or different ones. You can put mirror image and blur in a minor sequencer and then memorize two extra invisibility spells.
    edited July 2016
    `Also remember that not all defensive spells auto-cast on self. So if it asks you to pick a target... that's not a helpful clue. Darn you, spirit armour. `

that would been handy in the vampire fight, at start of tier 2. Had a problem getting negative plane protection off fast enough on my tanks......ended up having to dannce around behind an army of summons; keep the vamps at distance and pick em off with a throwing axe(azureedge).
    ^talkin blackpits 2 btw
  • ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592

There's also a cute trick where you combine Shapechange with Improved Alacrity. Cast Shapechange first, then Improved Alacrity, then switch to Mind Flayer form. You can then cast Psionic Blast and switch to Mind Flayer form again, which lets you cast Psionic Blast once more. By repeatedly switching to Mind Flayer form, you can cast Psionic Blast every frame. In tough fights, I've used it to cast Psionic Blast 30 times before Improved Alacrity even wore off!

Psionic Blasts stuns the enemy for 10 rounds on a failed save vs. spell and it bypasses magic resistance. You can even stun other Mind Flayers with it. It's also safe for your party; it won't stun your friends.

Have fun!

I never thought about this one, it is really pretty neat
    `One offensive favourite is the nuke em all:3 horrid wiltings, nearest enemy, enemy seen. `

been farming the sahuagin garden with this one! makes it trivial )

still learning atmo///
  • MacHurtoMacHurto Member Posts: 731

Psionic Blasts stuns the enemy for 10 rounds on a failed save vs. spell and it bypasses magic resistance. You can even stun other Mind Flayers with it. It's also safe for your party; it won't stun your friends

Is there any boss immune to this?
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @MacHurto: Various enemies are immune to stun outright, and certain enemies (liches and a few mages) have a save vs. spell of 1, meaning they will always make their save against Psionic Blast unless you hit them with Greater Malison or Called Shot first.

Dragons, most undead, trolls, and almost any enemy that delivers a dialog of some sort upon being defeated (Irenicus, Lavok, Sendai, etc.) are immune to stun.