Skip to content

New BG1 modder - a couple Q's

alceryesalceryes Member Posts: 380
Soooo, I have this grandiose idea about making a couple new items (things that are noticeably absent in BG1), a new merchant, and a new quest. Then I dove into the 3-4 modding tools last night and, after a few hours, was like, "What were you thinking!!" I am undaunted though, and will continue.

How do I make a mod that is exportable to other BG1 installs? It seems that any new text entries (like for item descriptions) writes to the master dialog.tlk file. That's okay for me, but I want others to be able to use my mod(?)

I think I'm getting the lay of the land. New itm file for items, new dlg file for merchant dialog, new sto file for store interaction, new cre file for the merchant actor himself. Does that all sound right? (of course these are copies that are then edited)

Since I want to make something that others can use is it advisable to create new string references for all the new text I will be adding or should I pick a random number from the 'placeholder' section and modify ten or so of those? I want to avoid conflicts as much as possible.

I've already successfully created some items, complete with modified descriptions, so doing good so far. If I do get this off the ground, the Nashkel Carnival will be the new home of one "Modelo the Magnificent," a dagger thrower of great renowned!

TIA!
mf2112lolienRavenslight

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited July 2016
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
    Ravenslightmf2112
  • alceryesalceryes Member Posts: 380
    edited July 2016
    Thanks subtledoctor!
    Where do I get a unique prefix?

I've already created some items and was able to successfully add them with the console. They are functioning as they should and, more importantly, I didn't mess up any other items.
    Ravenslightmf2112
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    Thanks all!

...about the dialog.tlk files. How do multiple mods from multiple sources work when each one creates a new dialog.tlk?
  • AquadrizztAquadrizzt Member Posts: 1,065
    WeiDu exists primarily to prevent .tlk file conflicts between mods. Instead of writing a specific string reference (e.g. 73284) to your thing, WeiDu will simply append your strings to the end of the existing .tlk file. The only thing you have to do is assign your strings during mod installation in WeiDu.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    For some reason I am unable to register for a new prefix on the Black Wyrm forum thread. I created an account and have tried to send the registration email many times but I never get it (yes I checked junk/spam folders).
    Without the verification I can't post in the thread. (I can't even PM the mods of the forum)
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Mr2150Mr2150 Member Posts: 1,170
    I sent you details of what to do if your registration email doesn't go through... I had the same problem...
    alceryes
    Got it, email sent. Thanks!
    Mr2150