Skip to content

Which mods will be compatablke withg BG EE

baldrat60baldrat60 Member Posts: 43
edited September 2012 in General Modding
Ive read conflicting info on mods and that unfinished business will be compatible does anyone know if any other mods will be compatible at launch?

Comments

• AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,524
    At launch, probably none. A new version of WeiDU (which is currently being worked on; no ETA that I know of) is required for mods to work with BG:EE.

BG2 Tweak Pack has already been confirmed to work with BG:EE, pending the aforementioned new version of WeiDU. Many mods will be worked on to be made compatible, but it's too early to be specific.
  • triclops41triclops41 Member Posts: 207

At launch, probably none. A new version of WeiDU (which is currently being worked on; no ETA that I know of) is required for mods to work with BG:EE.

BG2 Tweak Pack has already been confirmed to work with BG:EE, pending the aforementioned new version of WeiDU. Many mods will be worked on to be made compatible, but it's too early to be specific.

I know it is hard to estimate these things. but is the WeiDU version something that would be a matter of days, weeks, months, or years? I am only asking because I am so jacked up to play, and need to make a decision whether to wait or not after 9/18.
    Hard to tell. Years, no. Months, it depends on the_bigg's time availability and willingness to work on it.
    CuvRythgar
    edited September 2012
    I'll assume months. That is too long. Gonna play on 18th!
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    edited September 2012
    I think people need to remember that BG:EE is going to be its own game. Many existing mods are absolutely no longer going to be needed.

What I plan on doing is waiting for BG:EE specific mods to come out as they will target issues specific to BG:EE.
    LSWSjrTrainwreckWSU
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438

I think people need to remember that BG:EE is going to be its own game. Many existing mods are absolutely no longer going to be needed.

I don't understand where this misconception comes from, or why it gets repeated so often.

1pp is going to be integrated into BGEE, nothing else. Not Tweaks, not SCS, not BG1 NPC, not even SlidMang0's Hip-Hop Mod.
  • LiamEslerLiamEsler Member Posts: 1,859
    Wait, SlidMang0's Hip-Hop Mod isn't integrated?!

THAT'S IT. I'M BOYCOTTING BGEE!
    CuvAliteri
  • DavidWDavidW Member Posts: 823
    I anticipate a beta, use-at-own risk, version of SCS being available either on day 1 or at least within a week or two. There are (nonideal) workarounds for the WEIDU issue.
    AndreaColomboKirinaldokiros
  • zj1985zj1985 Member Posts: 7

This is the most important thing after I buy the game.And the next thing is how to transfer my character from BGEE to BG2EE. :)
  • CommunardCommunard Member Posts: 556
    CamDawg said:

I don't understand where this misconception comes from, or why it gets repeated so often.

1pp is going to be integrated into BGEE, nothing else. Not Tweaks, not SCS, not BG1 NPC, not even SlidMang0's Hip-Hop Mod.
    I think he's referring to bugfix mods which will be made obsolete by BG:EE, along with TuTu/BGT. Those are the most important mods to install, after all, and will be obsolete, so I think it's a fair point.
    mch202bigdogchrisTrainwreckWSU
  • EpitomyofShynessEpitomyofShyness Member Posts: 113
    Communard said:

CamDawg said:

I think he's referring to bugfix mods which will be made obsolete by BG:EE, along with TuTu/BGT. Those are the most important mods to install, after all, and will be obsolete, so I think it's a fair point.
    But not completely fair, since while those are the core mods for most modded installations they are just the very, very, beginning. I for one usually install more mods on one play-through than I can count on both hands. I know I'll be missing BG1 NPC and Tweaks very badly. The Eseries is another one I will feel the pain of being without. Oh artificial intelligence you... I so dumb without. And then my char dies... ;_;
    BG2 Tweak pack is already compatible with BG:EE and only requires a new version of WeiDU to work.

@cmorgan has already expressed his intention to make BG1 NPC compatible with BG:EE as soon as possible.
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    Kaeloree said:

Some people already accused the BGEE developers that they 'stole too much' from the community. So they had to pull a line and execute self restraint. The NDA however bars me to state if the Hip - Hop mod was finally integrated or not.
    CuvJamesAndreaColomboTanthalas
  • APhantasmAPhantasm Member Posts: 42
    Personally I want the extra content that was developed over the years. There were more npcs added, some even romanceable, a few other missions. I know we will get DLC down the road but I hope some if not more of the old content mods will get added after Weidu is updated for BG:EE
  • cmorgancmorgan Member Posts: 707
    Kaeloree said:

Now, @Kaeloree, you know that SlidMang0's Hip-Hop Mod refuses to follow the common path... it rebelled against the rebellion, after all. Besides, it's not just a mod - it is a Way Of Life(tm) :D

I, for one, must insist that Alassa and Goo be made compatible. Oh, and they could be made to work with BG,:EE, too.. ;)
    DavidW said:

I anticipate a beta, use-at-own risk, version of SCS being available either on day 1 or at least within a week or two. There are (nonideal) workarounds for the WEIDU issue.

Is there someone planning on making a WEiDU for BGEE?
    I believe the_bigg is already working on a new version of WeiDU that will also be fully BG:EE-compliant.
    Cuv
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    That's good to know - BG1NPC isn't really mandatory for me, but I doubt I'll be playing BG:EE until I can implement certain tweaks (chief among them being Shut Up "You Must Gather Your Party" Man) and Unfinished Business...
    @shawne - I'm not sure about UB. Some components might be superseded by BG:EE, whether at release or beyond that; but is the mod even currently maintained? If not, I doubt it will be made compatible...
  • BerconBercon Member Posts: 486
    @AndreaColombo It would be a real shame if Unfinished Business is not updated to BG:EE since I believe everybody installs it if they are installing any mods at all. From reading different threads on the favorite mods and what people plan on installing on BG:EE the top three are: UB, BG1NPC, SCS. Is there anything people can do to help, besides from actually doing the conversion by themselves?
    @Bercon - I agree with you. UB is a mod I always install. If the mod is not currently being maintained or worked on, tracking the author(s) and asking them is what I would do.
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    edited September 2012
    Authors: icelus, devSin, SimDing0, Idobek, Ascension64, CamDawg, and SixOfSpades

(you need only to open the Unfinished Business homepage on Pocket Plane Group to see that).

And CamDawg is even active in this topic, so the answers is: yes, the modders are active and if you want to know anything, well, go ahead and send CamDawg a message (I'm sure he won't bite, even though his name sounds like 'dog')!
    @Son_of_Imoen - From the readme file:

VII. LEGAL MATTERS

BG1 Unfinished Business is copyright © 2006 by Erik Manning (aka icelus)

BALDUR'S GATE, BALDUR'S GATE: TALES OF THE SWORD COAST, BALDUR'S GATE: THE ORIGINAL SAGA © 1998, 1999 BioWare Corp. All Rights Reserved.

BG1 Unfinished Business is not developed, supported, or endorsed by BioWare or Interplay/Black Isle.
    All images and contents of this mod are copyright BioWare, Interplay/Black Isle or Wizards of the Coast.

REDISTRIBUTION NOTE: BG1 Unfinished Business was created to be freely enjoyed by all Baldur's Gate gamers. BG1 Unfinished Business, however, may not be sold, published, compiled or redistributed in any form without the consent of its authors.

The copyright belongs to a modder who has long been inactive (icelus). SimDing0, Idobek and SixOfSpades are also inactive that I know of (I'd be quite glad to be proven wrong on this, though). That leaves us with @devSin, @CamDawg and @Ascension64. I'm sure they wouldn't mind updating the mod, but none of them owns the copyright to it (and actually only donated components according to the readme; it wasn't them who developed the mod itself).
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    @AndreaColombo: I think we need to differentiate between restored content that was not integrated into the EE and fixes (such as the Elminster encounter at the FAI) that have already been implemented.

From what I can see, the following content was restored specifically by those modders you mentioned (@devSin, @CamDawg, @Ascension64):

Ice Island Level Two Restoration
    Angelo Notices Shar-Teel
    Finishable Kagain Caravan Quest
    Quoningar the Cleric
    Audio Restorations
    Elven Charm & Sleep Racial Resistance

From that list, I think the elven resistances and audio bugs have been taken care of; the question then becomes whether those active modders can adapt the specific components they contributed to the EE, either separately or as BG1EEUB...
    A lot of us worked together on these mods, so much so that they ended up muddled piles of code from everyone. I'm still listed as an author/contributor on some of the Ding0's mods even though I'm not entirely sure what I did for them.

Most of us would have no problems with compatibility updates if we're no longer around, as long as the credits/readme reflects the original authors. Worst case, I'm pretty sure I still have icelus' phone number.
    AndreaColomboJamesSon_of_Imoenkiros
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    edited September 2012
    CamDawg said:

I'm referring to bug fix mods only, I should of been more specific.

Even so, I would expect many existing mods are updated for BG:EE so I wouldn't even worry about them until after they are re-released for BG:EE. Of course, I don't have the beta, so you would know better than me about how much the game has changed and if the mods are even compatible anymore.

• Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    CamDawg said:

Most of us would have no problems with compatibility updates if we're no longer around, as long as the credits/readme reflects the original authors. Worst case, I'm pretty sure I still have icelus' phone number.

Thanks for replying. That's kind of what I expect will happen with many mods: even if original authors are no longer around, if other people are still 'taking care of' a mod, the mods get a compatibility update.

I remember Ascension64 in another topic, saying he will look into updating Finch, if I remember well. We can at least hope for a quick NPC1-project compatibility update.

Do you have insight into the beta BGEE, CamDawg? Do many of the mods you work on need compatibility updates?

Well, I've already got BG2 Tweaks working, and the Fixpack won't be needed. I've said elsewhere that the two biggest obstacles for mod authors on BGEE will be the lack of full BG2 resources (i.e. Tweaks expects ToB bags of holding present for Exotic Items) and dialog.tlk moving strings around. Neither are game-breaking, but they do require some adjustments--and are more than compensated by the advantages and improvements in the engine.
    Son_of_Imoenkiros
  • JamesJames Member Posts: 110
    I am thinking that the delay to the shipping date means it is more likely the beta version of Weidu is completed and some of the mods are fully compatible at launch
  • devSindevSin Member Posts: 32
    A lot of BGUB is probably going to be redundant.

But I haven't even looked at it in years (neither icelus nor myself had any interest in doing Tutu/BGT compatibility). jastey has been doing some maintenance updates lately, so she might be amenable.

Honestly, it probably should be its own mod over simply adding yet another target into the existing code (it already tries to support BG/TotSC, BG Tutu, and BGT). I can give permission to anybody who wants to use most of the stuff in there (the only exception is the WED for the ice island restoration, which was created by Echon and used with his permission).