Skip to content

modmerge: merge your Steam/GOG zip based DLC into something Weidu/NearInfinity/DLTCEP can use.

Comments

• chimericchimeric Member Posts: 1,163
    I'm doing a complete reinstall of the game. I installed BGEE, then the mods, and now I want to run modmerge before installing SoD - GOG versions all. Correct? Well, this time it can't find chitin.key, even though it's sitting in the same directory. Makes a backup of it, then writes that it can't find it.
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    The order is:
    1. Install BGEE.
    2. Install SoD.
    3. Run Modmerge.
    4. Install mods.

Modmerge is what makes BGEE + SoD moddible.
    Okay, thanks.
    Wait. And if I don't want SoD after all, I don't need modmerge, right?
    Correct. Modmerge is only for BGEE + SoD purchased from GOG or Steam.
  • ThelsThels Member Posts: 1,416
    After running this application, can one safely delete the zip file? I'm actually making copies of my BGEE folder, so it's not getting overwritten when a new patch comes out, but that means I end up with several copies of that zip file as well, which is almost half the install size.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Mr2150Mr2150 Member Posts: 1,170
    Can you check for the existence of a couple of post-modmerged files ?
    @subtledoctor : sod-dlc.zip gets renamed by the modmerge tool, so if you still see the sod-dlc.zip file, modmerge has not yet run. Remember that you have to check for the zip file in both the root (GOG) and the dlc subfolder (Steam)!

I wonder if it's possible to get this implemented in Weidu itself...
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ac2334ac2334 Member Posts: 1
    Just wondering, I had a clean install of BGEE v. 2.3.67.2 and ran modmerge successfully (it was the GOG version, all went smooth, no need to create a separate DLC folder....but now I want to patch to 2.3.67.3 - is it ok to patch after running modmerge? I did run the patch for 2.3.67.3 just now and it did go smoothly...should I be worried though??
    You'll need to modmerge again because the patch will have restored the dlc .zip.
  • AlonsoAlonso Member Posts: 806
    What is modmerge and what does it do?
    I don't know the meanings of the words Weidu, NearInfinity or DLTCEP, so any useful answer will either avoid those words or use them after explaining their meaning.
    The GOG and Steam versions of SoD are installed as a .zip file inside the installation directory for BG 1. This makes it impossible to install mods the traditional way because the files inside the .zip take precedence over the files in the override directory and the dialog.tlk file in the .zip is used while the modded one in the installation directory is ignored.

Modmerge simply takes all the game content from the .zip and merges it into the base game, so traditional modding methods will work.

This isn't necessary if you have the Beamdog version of BG + SoD, because they don't use the .zip file.
    Yeah, so to summarize, if you:
    - Use Steam or GoG, AND
    - Have Siege of Dragonspear, AND
    - Want to install mods (or run other tools such as EEKeeper or NearInfinity)

Then before you do anything, you run modmerge.

You don't need to run modmerge, if you:
    - Use Beamdog, OR
    - Do not have Siege of Dragonspear, OR
    - Have no interests in mods or other tools
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    yes
  • tarzan123tarzan123 Member Posts: 13
    For some reason it seems that the new version of BG:EE (gog) no longer allows the modmerge to work when i install BG:EE then SoD then I install modmerge everything seems fine but when i install lets say Sirene and then Neera mod it should at the end reinstall both mods if i remember it correctly from the older version of BG:EE (I mean that at the end after choosing all components it will say "Successfully installed ..." all the mods installed so far) but it does not. It does it only after i try to reinstall one of the mods then it does at the end reinstall both of the mods BUT it will no longer let me install any other mods like BGtweaks or UB or RE nothing it will say that the mod is only compatible with BG:EE and if i have another version/game i should use the corresponding mod...Anyone can help me with this?
    Tarzan: You really should start with a completely new install!

Does GoG require separate installations of BGEE and SOD? Both Beamdog and Steam can install SOD at once.

First perform a clean install of BGEE+SOD. Then install modmerge. Only then can you start to install mods. Don't install SOD onto a modded game!
    edited August 2016
    Thels said:

Tarzan: You really should start with a completely new install!

Does GoG require separate installations of BGEE and SOD? Both Beamdog and Steam can install SOD at once.

First perform a clean install of BGEE+SOD. Then install modmerge. Only then can you start to install mods. Don't install SOD onto a modded game!

Unfortunately I did start with completely new install...actually i reinstalled 2 times already :/. I stated it first that i installed first BG:EE then SoD and then modmerge...Also I might have to say that i've already successfully moded the game before on an older version and now I am trying to install and mod completely fresh install of the newest version of the game.
    Did you remove the previous installation?

Also, where are you installing? If you're installing in C:\Program Files somewhere, try installing elsewhere, like C:\BGEE.

Actually, try installing in a completely new directory regardless. It may fix your issues.
    Yep I am installing in GoG games folder, removed the previous game completely with saves and everything...also thanks for responding to my problems hope I'll get some solution it's kinda frustrating...
    edited August 2016
    I have no idea where GoG games folder is. I highly recommend installing anywhere outside Program Files. Have you tried installing at a different location, like E:\BGEE.
    Yep well gog folder is outside the program files it's C:\GOG Games\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition i've already installed an older version of this game and successfully moded it using modmerge and I am pretty sure that I did nothing different this time that's why I thought it might be caused by new version...
  • bhavbhav Member Posts: 11
    I recognize the dedication required for this workaround, as it has been an off-the-clock effort. However, I've encountered the same stumbling block as others in this thread: Finder associates .key with the Keynote software regardless of whether Keynote is actually installed on the system, and running modmerge yields "open chitin.key: no such file or directory." I've tried disassociating .key from Keynote, but to no avail. A hotfix or advice on how to proceed would be much appreciated.
    @Tarzan123: The installation folder for GOG seems to differ, but if it's there already, then it should work fine.

Did you perform a clean install? If your installation was already modmerged, and then updated, things could've gone haywire.

@bhav: It doesn't matter what program windows associates with the extention. You don't run the extention, you run modmerge, which will load the chitin.key file. If Modmerge provides that error, you are not running it from the correct directory.

Is modmerge.exe in the exact same directory as baldur.exe and chitin.key? If not, move modmerge to the correct directory.
  • bhavbhav Member Posts: 11
    @Thels : thanks for the response. I'm playing a GOG installation of BGEE+SOD 2.3 on a Mac, modmerge and chitin.key are in the same folder (Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition.app/Contents/Resources). The closest thing to baldur.exe is a "Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition" executable in a different folder (Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition.app/Contents/MacOS). I am presently unable to install any mods, receiving a message of FATAL ERROR: Failure("Not a game directory"). This problem arose only after the latest update to 2.3 which introduced the sod-dlc.zip.
    I don't know how stuff works on a Mac. Perhaps someone else is in a better spot to help?
  • fishhead202fishhead202 Member Posts: 25
    Is there no Win64 version of this?
  • GrimLefourbeGrimLefourbe Member Posts: 637
    Have you tried the Win32 executable?
  • fishhead202fishhead202 Member Posts: 25
    Looks like the 32 is working! Thank You!