Skip to content

Infinity engine games crashing randomly

O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
Hi there, ladies and gentlemen. I have problem with both BG:EE (with SoD) and BG2:EE on recent patch. The games are crashing at random moments from time to time on current build. The crash is almost always while saving/quicksaving, leaving an area or loading scripts. Rarely when choosing dialouge options, and very, very rare just like that, during the game.

Normaly, I would just patiently wait for patch, but I recently started doing no-reload runs and so crashes like these are not appreciated.

I have a screenshot here, even If I'm skeptical if it is very helpful

Comments

• sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    are you playing it on steam? I've noticed that ever since I started playing them on steam, my games will crash once ever 3-4 hours like clock work
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    Yes I am playing on Steam.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    yeah, I bet it has something to do with steam then, I used to play these games via beamdog client and never had as many problems, but once I transferred them over to steam I noticed that randomly they started to crash quite a bit
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    This is a strange crash. It doesn't appear to be creating a crash dump, is that correct?

It's in kernel32.dll, so it could be related to an anti-virus or it could be data execution prevention (DEP). If you have an anti-virus installed, you could try temporarily disabling that while performing actions that usually cause a crash in-game.
    It creates a crash dump file, but I was unable to add it to my post. The file was rejected.
  • Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,871
    If you compress (zip) the crash file you should be able to attach that.
    Thanks
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    The crash shows that the issue is in the cloud save. Investigating.

Can you try playing the game without the cloud save option enabled?
    I can do that for a certain time anyways.