Skip to content

Making ability contingent on equipped item

LafeinLafein Member Posts: 9
As the title states, is there a way to make an ability contingent on a certain item, or type of item equipped?

For example, an innate ability called "Slash", that only on functions if the caster is wielding a sword, or a blade-type weapon.

Or short of that, is there a way to give an item an activation contingent on what class or character is using it?

Thanks!

Comments

• AquadrizztAquadrizzt Member Posts: 1,065
    For example, an innate ability called "Slash", that only on functions if the caster is wielding a sword, or a blade-type weapon.

This is quite hard to do. The way that you would do this is run a patch of all weapons that updates any weapon that meets your criteria (e.g. all swords) to have an innate ability only available when a certain class is wielding it.

Or short of that, is there a way to give an item an activation contingent on what class or character is using it?

As in have the item apply different effects depending on who is using it? Yes. Look into opcode 177 (Use Effect on IDS Lookup).
  • LafeinLafein Member Posts: 9
    Thank you!

I'll play with those options and update this post on the progress.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited August 2016
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

I swear I recently read a post where somebody explained precisely how to do this. But I can't remember who or where it was. Is there a chance it was @Dee?

I tried some search-foo earlier, but couldn't seem to find anything useful. I think the opcode 177 is a good place for me to start though.

What I'm trying to do, for clarification, is create a "Shield Bash" ability that levels up with the user, and is contingent on the user being equipped with a shield.

After playing around a little, it looks like I can't easily add required levels to the item abilities like I can spells/innates.

Although, thinking about it, I wonder if I could set an effect on the item to grant the innate ability (based on the level and class) and then remove it if the item is removed...

Further down the rabbit hole...

• kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367
    Lafein said:

After playing around a little, it looks like I can't easily add required levels to the item abilities like I can spells/innates.

Put the shield bash effects into an innate spell, with varying affects by caster level. Have the shield's item ability cast that spell( Opcode 146, Parameter2= 1 ).
    Interesting!

I had gone the route of trying to have the item grant the innate ability upon equip, but was having trouble with the equip/unequip granting multiple uses.

Thanks for the tip, as a new modder, this stuff can be pretty daunting, but you guys have been great help. Takes some of the O.o out of the process :smile:
    Looks like there has been some discussion on opcode 182&183 (use eff on equip item/type) in the past on the G3 forums.

Here is the post;
    http://gibberlings3.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=28131

From what I can tell, it's never seemed to work correctly.