Skip to content

Tomes of Wisdom

gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
edited August 2016 in Off-Topic
In one of the games
BG

the player find some tomes, reading each of them one stat is permanently rise. The tomes that rise wisdom are 3, for the other stats there only 1 tome each.

Sadly in RL we don't find such books, but sometimes we find some books that somehow bring some improvement in our lives.
So my answer is what are the 3 Tomes of Wisdom in your life?

They can be books related to religion, like the Holy Bible or the Noble Quran, or books dealing with philosophy, but also novels or other books that usually are not rated as sources of wisdom but in some way had helped you to understand better yourself, the world you live in or anyway improve your life.
And they can be only 3, or less, is possible that you have not find all the Tomes. Refrain from posting long lists, just 3, the most important for you.
deltagoAerakarGreenWarlockMagpieRandomsTeflonFinnTheHuman

Comments

• GreenWarlockGreenWarlock Member Posts: 1,354
    Surely You're Joking Mr Feynman
    The not-quite-auto biography of a physicist whose approach to life I find liberating, inspirational, and entertaining in equal measure

Multiparadigm Software Design in C++, by James A Coplien
    Not an obvious choice, but this has been the inspiration of how I approach the topic of software design in general, and has abstracted into my general attitude to problem solving. Find the parts of the problem that need a specific solution, and build the right kind of generality to adapt for the rest. Find in the fixed part is as important, if not more so, than the flexible - yet everything you learn tends to be making /everything/ as flexible as possible, bringing un-necessary complexity with it.

Thor - the collected comics by Walt Simonson.
    Just a great yarn, that lets me recapture the marvel of being young again. Alternatively, the Groo comics of Sergio Argones would recapture the same spirit, with a stronger dash of humour.
    gorgonzolaTeflonAerakar
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    1- 101 Zen Stories (Nyogen Senzaki and Paul Reps)
    I was 17, a friend gave me the book. The beginning of a lifetime journey.

2- Autobiography of a Yogi (Paramahansa Yogananda)

3- The Teachings of Sri Ramana Maharshi (David Godman)
    GreenWarlock
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    1 - rich dad poor dad

2 - cold hard truth on business money & life

3 - automatic millionaire

those books have changed my life forever ( and for the better I might add)
    gorgonzola
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    The very hungry caterpillar. I did not see that twist at the end coming
    NoobaccaFinnTheHumangorgonzolaAnduin
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Right now my list is, in no particular order:

1 - Ender's Game / Ender's Shadow (Orson Scott Card before he lost his mind)
    2 - The Name of the Wind / The Wise Man's Fear (Patrick Rothfuss after he lost his mind)
    3 - Shrill (Lindy West)
    gorgonzola
  • FinnTheHumanFinnTheHuman Member Posts: 404
    1. The Selfish Gene ("Ok, well I guess life does make sense after all.")
    2. Learn you a Haskell for Great Good ("Finally, programming seems right.")
    3. Kettlebell Simple and Sinister ("Ohh, get strong, not tired.")
    gorgonzolaGreenWarlock
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    1. Godel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid by Douglas Hofstadter. You won't understand everything in this book the first three times you read it but by the time you have finished it for the fifth time everything makes sense.

2. The Illuminatus! Trilogy by Robert Shea and Robert Anton Wilson. These three books fnord will deconstruct your mind, allowing you to rebuild it fnord better than it was before. You will also never view the world in the same fnord way again, specifically because you will be able to see the fnords. The fifth one isn't missing, only hidden more cleverly than the others.

3. The Art of War by Sun Tzu. Buy it, read it, memorize it, take it to heart, then apply it in your daily life.
    FinnTheHumangorgonzolaGreenWarlock
  • FinnTheHumanFinnTheHuman Member Posts: 404

2. The Illuminatus! Trilogy by Robert Shea and Robert Anton Wilson. These three books fnord will deconstruct your mind, allowing you to rebuild it fnord better than it was before. You will also never view the world in the same fnord way again, specifically because you will be able to see the fnords. The fifth one isn't missing, only hidden more cleverly than the others.

What the F* are you talking about?? :angry: That doesn't make any sense :angry:

:wink:
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    Of course it makes sense. Didn't you find them all? Finding nouns often requires discipline.

Incidentally, there are 35 letters in the phrase "finding nouns often requires discipline", which is 23+12. 35 = 7*5 while 12 = 7+5. 7*5*7*5=1225 while 7+5+7+5=24 and 1225/24 leaves a remainder of 1, which is fascinating since 24 = 23+1. If we go back to 35 for a second, notice that 3*5=15 and 3+5=8 and that 15+8=23. Those relationships are just the tip of the iceberg, as well. Fascinating numerology opens ridiculous doors. Numbers--the more you look at them the more of you they see.
    gorgonzolaFinnTheHuman
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    edited August 2016
    Eliminating Self-defeating Behaviors by Milton R. Cudney.
    You've got to own it to change it, baby.

What if Captain America had been revived in 1983 instead of 1963? (Comic book) (Title from memory, may not be exact.)
    A wonderful introduction to the difference between patriotism and nationalism.

The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tokien
    The start of a lifestyle.
    gorgonzolaGreenWarlock
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    Try The Prince by Niccolò Machiavelli
    gorgonzolaGreenWarlock
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    Awesome.

My three books.

1. The Hobbit
    2. History of almost everything - Bill Bryson
    3. All Hail Megatron

All made me sit up and go ooooh!

My library card gets worn out but the ones that were thought about going on the list include The Final Empire - Sanders, The reality dysfunction (actually anything by Peter Hamilton)
    The life of Pi, Hier to the Empire - Zahn, Fire on the water - Dever, Enemy of God - Cornwell (Love Bernard but liked this one best) Sorcery! - Jackson... Better stop... I'm reconsidering my top three...

Oh shoot how about A song for Troy and the Roman series by McCullough!
    gorgonzola
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    Oops. Forgotten Realms campaign setting - Ed Greenwood...
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    1. A Storm of Swords (if I had to pick one of a song of ice and fire books)
    2. The Silmarillion
    3. Maybe The Gunslinger - though the sequels kind of ruined how I looked back on it. I liked the Stand too.
    Anduingorgonzola