Skip to content

IPad Improvements

Special consideration is needed for tablet based play. Lets carve out a section here for improvements which apply specifically to Ipad.
JuliusBorisov00zim00_Luke_CrevsDaak

Comments

• FinnTheHumanFinnTheHuman Member Posts: 404
    Keyboard Keypress.

A few of the AI scripts allow modal behavior based on keyboard keypresses. This is unavailable on the IPad. For the system keyboard to pop, the application has to make a system request for it. It would be nice if there was some button in the UI which called the keyboard and the resulting keys were piped to the game engine.
  • 00zim0000zim00 Member Posts: 267

Keyboard Keypress.

A few of the AI scripts allow modal behavior based on keyboard keypresses. This is unavailable on the IPad. For the system keyboard to pop, the application has to make a system request for it. It would be nice if there was some button in the UI which called the keyboard and the resulting keys were piped to the game engine.

I dont have a Ipad or any tablet/phone that has BG.. but if such a button was added it could be placed on the lower right side with the other buttons like AI? Just a thought.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    00zim00 said:

Keyboard Keypress.

I dont have a Ipad or any tablet/phone that has BG.. but if such a button was added it could be placed on the lower right side with the other buttons like AI? Just a thought.
    That won't work because the right sidebar is completely full, between the six portraits and the four secondary buttons on that side.
    00zim00CrevsDaak
  • ThelsThels Member Posts: 1,416
    I actually very much dislike the scripts that are dependant on keys, as it's impossible to rebind them. I very much like to use WASD to scroll around, but the D key does stuff on the Thief control script, and the Advanced AI script is too buggy to keep every thief in the party using Find Traps.
  • _Luke__Luke_ Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,535

Keyboard Keypress.

I do think the developers should provide support for Bluetooth Keyboards and Smart Keyboards ( iPad Pro 12.9" , iPad Pro 9.7")......
    CrevsDaak
  • Mr2150Mr2150 Member Posts: 1,170
    @Luke93 my keyboard works with the ipad pro ... which keyboard are you using?
    _Luke_
    @Mr2150 I have a Bluetooth Keyboard which doesn't work for me...... Are you saying that Smart Keyboards work instead? Because I also have an iPad Pro but not the Smart Keyboard....
    I know for sure that Bluetooth Keyboards are supported on Android but they can't seem to work on iOS.....
    Yeah - I'm using the smart keyboard and for all text entry bits - like typing a name or editing bio it works fine...
    Mr2150 said:

Yeah - I'm using the smart keyboard and for all text entry bits - like typing a name or editing bio it works fine...

Ok, that's fine, but at the same time I cannot access the Inventory page by pressing I, the Wizard Spells by pressing W, the Priest Spells by pressing P, the Journal by pressing J and so on.
    That's why I said the devs should provide support for Bluetooth Keyboards and Smart Keyboards.......
    OK - gotcha... and very valid point.

The reasoning is probably because the fields I mentioned are 'EDIT' boxes where the game is telling the engine to accept a text input. During gameplay there is no edit box so the game/engine/ipad don't know to look for a keyboard input.
    FinnTheHuman
  • cmk24cmk24 Member Posts: 605

Keyboard Keypress.

I think something like "long press on portrait" popping up AI script mode toggles (or similar) would be a nice way around this. I feel "long press" is under utilized in the tablet version of the game.

Additionally party formation rotation could be handled by "long press then drag" on the ground.
    FinnTheHumanjackjack
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    cmk24 said:

Keyboard Keypress.

I think something like "long press on portrait" popping up AI script mode toggles (or similar) would be a nice way around this. I feel "long press" is under utilized in the tablet version of the game.

Additionally party formation rotation could be handled by "long press then drag" on the ground.
    "long press on portrait" opens the Inventory, for what it's worth.
    cmk24CrevsDaak
    One advantage of the ipad/iPhone/tablet/android versions that could be reviewed would be multi-touch capability. For me, there's lots of scope to add more touch functions.
    FinnTheHumanCrevsDaak
  • 00zim0000zim00 Member Posts: 267
    Could we add a single button somewhere that when pressed brings up a special screen only for ipad/tablet/ ect which contains all the extra features in one screen people are suggesting?

As for the ""long press on portrait" opens the Inventory, for what it's worth. ", If that could be used for toggling the AI instead seeing as u can access the inventory from the left panel then just click on a NPC to go to that screen would that be better?

Im probably not helpful as i dont even own a tablet let alone BG on tablet so im not sure of the issues/problems first hand :#
  • ThelsThels Member Posts: 1,416
    Keep in mind that several AI scripts have more than one toggle button!
  • cmk24cmk24 Member Posts: 605
    Dee said:

cmk24 said:

Keyboard Keypress.

"long press on portrait" opens the Inventory, for what it's worth.
    Good point, it has been a while since I played on my tablet. Going off what @Mr2150 said, multi-touch could also be used. Maybe something like three-finger-swipe left or right to change the selected character's AI mode.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited September 2016
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
    taclanejackjack
  • cogomaccogomac Member Posts: 1

PARTY
    ORIENTATION

PARTY ORIENTATION

ORIENTATION
    PARTY

ORIENTATION PARTY

This.

I know it's my own fault but I would not have purchased the iPad version had I known this feature was unavailable. A mod falsely claimed this was possible in an old post from like 2013. This needs to be addressed. I loved EE on PC and Beamdog has been very accommodating but the fact that this has been ignored for so long is pretty disappointing. I used orientation rotation CONSTANTLY and while the game isn't unplayable without it, taking 5 minutes to individually maneuver party members every time I want to back up 5 feet in a dungeon corridor frustrates me to the point where I lose interest.
    FinnTheHuman
  • WesboiWesboi Member Posts: 403
    I use a Bluetooth controller to access most the screens I need and made a custom gui with the bare minimum on screen to maximise the full screen on phones/nexus tablet. Makes a difference at times.
  • Vestan_PanceVestan_Pance Member Posts: 5
    Transferring items between a chest and player inventory is really fiddly especially with no way of telling what object you're moving between containers as there's no way to hover over items to display the tooltip.

For example if I want to grab a specific item from storage I have to fill my pack with as much as I can grab from a chest, then switch to the inventory and long press each item until I find what I'm looking for and then dump everything back into it's original container.

Would it be feasible to enlarge the container tranfer window and implement a long press to view details, such as we can do in the player inventory? Something like this perhaps:

tbone1
  • abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307
    I'm having real problems with stackable inventory items. In particular, when using containers. On desktop, a double click allows me to open a counter system to move multiple items but I can't get this to work on mobile devices... taking 80 arrows out of an ammo belt one by one is less than fun.

I'm perfectly prepared to accept this as user-error if someone can tell me how to make it work.

I'm playing IWD on iPhone.
    StummvonBordwehr
    So, this is pretty interesting: in PST:EE, if you tap and hold onto an item in order to read its description, that item is no longer picked up! This feature should be implemented in the other games as well.... I mean, in this way I can read the description of all those items which grant additional spells (e.g. Honorary Ring of Sune) without resting (As a matter of fact, in the current version of BG/IWD:EE every time you read the description of an item, you unequip/equip it. But what about items like the Honorary Ring of Sune? If you read its description, then you are forced to rest in order to bring back to memory the extra spells it provides....
    FinnTheHuman[Deleted User]
  • FinnTheHumanFinnTheHuman Member Posts: 404
    abacus said:

I'm having real problems with stackable inventory items. In particular, when using containers. On desktop, a double click allows me to open a counter system to move multiple items but I can't get this to work on mobile devices... taking 80 arrows out of an ammo belt one by one is less than fun.

I'm perfectly prepared to accept this as user-error if someone can tell me how to make it work.

I'm playing IWD on iPhone.

It works in BG1, but not in BG2, apparently. I don't know why.
    StummvonBordwehr

It works in BG1, but not in BG2, apparently. I don't know why.

The reason is simple: that feature has been implemented only in BG1. We need to wait for an update in order to see it in the other games as well.....
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Maybe something similar to this can be implemented in order to use the console.........

StummvonBordwehrIllustair
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • IllustairIllustair Member Posts: 877
    edited October 2017
    Wow, I didn't know that there's an iPad version for RTW. It is a good game; almost a classic. It's not too complex, but I wouldn't call it simple -- definitely not "dumbed down" like most games nowadays. It can even be really hard at times. It's also highly replayable inasmuch as you may want to"roleplay" a different faction every now and then. Edit: I too like this implementation.