Skip to content

An ideal cleric

So I'm thinking of going through the whole trilogy of BG with a cleric (no dual-class), but I am very unsure of how to make him. I want him to go well with the whole Bhaalspaw storyline and be effective enough too, without overpowering. I'm sure a lot of people have done or are currently doing runthroughs with clerics, so I would be grateful for any advice:

1. Race: I made a dwarven cleric not long ago and the combination went well. I'm not sure if there's a better option or if it simply doesn't matter. What race do you recommend?

2. Kit: I've tried out the Priest of Helm and it's quite useful. Specially the +3 sword. What kit do you find more useful or/and more fit por the protagonist?

3. Stats: Appart from the obvious, I think I should give him an acceptable amount of charisma (something like +15) because of shops and because it fits a charismatical spiritual leader. I think from there it depends on personal playing style, if I'm going to be up front (high strength and constitution) or in the back (probably a higher dexterity).

4. Weapon proficiencies: I haven't got a lot of problems with this point. I think I'll stick to maces and hammers, sword and shield style.

So, any advice or experiences?
gorgonzola

Comments

• JumboWheat01JumboWheat01 Member Posts: 1,028
    Jack's got a point, and of course, there is the tasty factor of hitting 20 Constitution for the built-in regeneration. Not wasting spell slots on yourself for healing can be a good thing to go through. Half-orcs can go for this as well, though they of course don't have the Shorty Saving Throws.
    jackjack
  • WinterisleWinterisle Member Posts: 111
    And would you be ok with a shorty bhaalspawn? I mean, i'm just finishing SoD with a gnome illusionist/thief. I'm a gnome and dwarf fan.
    Thanks for mentioning the priest alignment fixes, I had no idea! I'll probably go for Talos then.
    Aerakar
    Nothin' wrong with bein' a shorty. Heck, Halflings are probably my favorite race to be. I'm just a nutter for Halflings.

...I should totally do a Halfling Cleric now. I avoided them because of their -1 Wisdom, but really, the three Wisdom books you can get in the game should make up for it. Curse you restartitis! I just made a Necromancer!
    mf2112jackjackWinterisleAerakar
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    Yeah considering the tomes and that >18 Wisdom is useless on anyone except Bards (barely perceptible Lore bonus), I never worry about that particular drawback.
    mf2112
    18+ Wisdom isn't ENTIRELY useless on a priest class, it gives them more spell slots. I just have to get out of the 3e+ spell dc thing.
    semiticgoddess

18+ Wisdom isn't ENTIRELY useless on a priest class, it gives them more spell slots. I just have to get out of the 3e+ spell dc thing.

I thought bonus spell slots capped at 18 Wisdom. Huh.
  • catsarekacampcatsarekacamp Member Posts: 52
    Also note, that there's no AC difference between 18 and 19 Dex, just another +1 to ranged.
    semiticgoddess
  • ReadingRamboReadingRambo Member Posts: 598
    edited June 2016
    I humbly urge you to reconsider multi classing as a dwarf fighter/cleric.

I humbly urge you to reconsider multi classing as a dwarf fighter/cleric.

That would be my obvious powergaming choice: the classic dwarven fighter/cleric. It a great idea, but what I plan is to use a pure cleric so I can really use that role without simply hammering my way through.
    ReadingRambojackjack
    edited June 2016

Also note, that there's no AC difference between 18 and 19 Dex, just another +1 to ranged.

True, but with the Dex book, you can shove that 19 to 20, and that machine thingy can boost it to 21, to give you more AC than any other race. Quite tasty that.
    jackjack said:

I thought bonus spell slots capped at 18 Wisdom. Huh.
    I'm basing my info off of Playithardcore's "guide." Possibly wrong, but it's where I learned a lot of the in-and-out bits of information for the series.
    jackjackmf2112
    If you got it off of Playithardcore, I'm inclined to believe it. That place is pretty on the ball.
    Also, hey, thanks for the archive link! I've been missing that site since it went down.
    mf2112
    PK2748 said:

Actually you can get the same 21 dex with a Halfling, who also gets shorty saving throw bonuses and a +1 with slings instead of swords and bows that a cleric is not permitted.

Which is why I suddenly have the urge for a halfling cleric. Maybe one of Talos, like Winter is planning. I've always done the "goody-goody" clerics and gods. Sure, I'd go Chaotic Neutral, but a follower of a Chaotic Evil God of Storms would be a very interesting switch.
    jackjack
    Dwarves are so cool though!!
    jackjackWinterisleGrum
    Ok, I've nearly made up my mind:

Race: Dwarf OR Halfling, though I've never been mad for the second.

Kit: Priest of Talos.

Stats: STR: 14/15 (+1 with the tome)
    DEX: 15 (+1 again)
    CON: 19 (20 with the tome. Great saving throws and a load of hitpoints
    WIS: 17 sounds right. With the three tomes in BG I can get to 20. 16 would probably be fine too.
    INT: 10/11, to use wands, as Jumbowheat01 suggests.
    CHA: 15

So I basically need a 90 roll. Not the best of news...

Weapon proficiencies: idc
    edited June 2016
    Low 90s aren't TOO hard, just require a bit of patience.

You do dwarf, I'll do halfling. That way we're not twinsing it. :tongue:
    jackjackWinterisle
    edited June 2016
    Dwarf gets access to the returning throwing hammer sold in Trademeet, which would help keep a cleric in the back slinging spells. It's easy to edit the items enchantment level to match the sling of everard, which I do for flavor purposes. On a cleric they do comparable damage without fighter APR.

But a halfling with a sling is pretty cool too.
    Winterisle
    edited June 2016

Due note, that the temples you get as bases in the second game are still based on alignment, not who you worship.

Good - Lathander
    Neutral - Helm
    Evil - Talos

The only reason to not use a kit is for a multi-class combo.

So if I make a chaotic neutral Priest of Talos I'm stuck with the Temple of Helm?? That really makes no sense at all :(. I hope they fix that or something.
  • userunfriendlyuserunfriendly Member Posts: 39
    archer cleric. all spells, and slings grandmastery. (I turned jaheira into one)

and i turned aerie into a priest of talos mage. no problem... :blush:
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited June 2016

Due note, that the temples you get as bases in the second game are still based on alignment, not who you worship.

Good - Lathander
    Neutral - Helm
    Evil - Talos

The only reason to not use a kit is for a multi-class combo.

So if I make a chaotic neutral Priest of Talos I'm stuck with the Temple of Helm??
    If you make a Priest of Talos you would be approached by Stormherald Nallabir (from the Talos temple). Same goes for the Helm and Lathander kits (who would have a representative of Helm/Lathander's temples approach accordingly). Tyr clerics would be treated like any general cleric (which is based on alignment).
    WinterisleMacHurtoJarrakul
    Ok. Thanks for clearing that up. This is my cleric :)

elminsterJarrakulGrumAerakar
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    Priest of Lathander is far and away the most useful kit as the kit abilities are useful throughout the saga.

Race doesn't matter too much, go with whatever fits for you. Human probably fits a Bhaalspawn the best.

Stats don't even matter too much though I'd recommend 18 str, 18 dex, 9 con, 10 int, 18 wisdom and the rest in charisma.

Mace and sling to start, go find the Stupifier for BG1.
    semiticgoddessWinterislegorgonzola
  • magisenseimagisensei Member Posts: 316
    Has anyone tried the new kit cleric of Tyr - its kit spells look quiet powerful if you are a more melee type cleric (adds bonuses to hit and damage) - combined with cleric buffs to make him into a fighter you could potentially have a very powerful melee cleric; plus its other spell removes confusion, berserker, fear etc and other mind enchantments and in addition provides protection for 1 turn - haven't seen a spell like that since IWD unless you use spell mods.

Now we just need a temple of Tyr in the temple district.
    jackjack
    The debuff purge is great on Tyr's kit, but it's divine might-like ability is... well... 2 rounds is just not long enough. Plus adding attacks, like what Lathander and Helm do, is a bit better of a boost.
    semiticgoddessjackjackgorgonzola
  • kensaikensai Member Posts: 228
    In my opinion there are two IDEAL\CHEESY clerics and both are duals.

First is Archer>Cleric dual with focus on slings. Clerics on high difficulty and/or with SCS are quite fragile to be honest and should avoid melee. So he can support allies and deal damage from range.
    If you want a cheesy build just make a multi Archer\Cleric with Shadow Keeper amd install Item Revisions mod, he has a component "remove weapon restrictions from multi classes".
    I just so love my archer\cleric with longbow and arrows, best cleric ever.

Second build is pure cheese. It's a Wild Mage > Cleric dual. In BG2 wild mage can always cast their Sequencers\Chain Contingency from their Reckless Dweomers. They always casts without wild surge! (But your next spell is 100% wild surge)
    So all you need is 1 lvl spell Reckless Dweomer (which is added to your spellbook automatically) and to memorise every Sequencer\Contingency spell you met!
    Just imagine - Chain Contingency with 3 Devas\Storm of Vengeance.
    Want more cheese? You can memorise Wondrous Recall...
    gorgonzola
  • ZilberZilber Member Posts: 253
    Half-orc clerics can start with 19 Str, which is all types of giddy in a solo run, also faster than shorties. Dwarves get to regenerate and a lot of shorty saves, Elves' drawback is only a drawback for fighters, don't know if the charm/sleep resistance was already fixed, Halflings get a bonus to slings, and bonus to fear as well as shorty saves.

The rest make less sense for single class clerics.
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    kensai said:

In my opinion there are two IDEAL\CHEESY clerics and both are duals.

First is Archer>Cleric dual with focus on slings.

Second build is pure cheese. It's a Wild Mage > Cleric dual.

I will add Priest of Lathander11->Mage.

All the relevant clerical spells, up to 1 lev7 slot and the Boon twice a day with it's +1APR on top of DW with 25STR, maxed DMG roll and IH. 6 good APR for 22 rounds.
    When is not casting or using the Boon he can do some real damage with a sling and an oil of speed, like 50-60DPR.
    In a character that level up Just a little behind a single class mage, has almost all the clerical spells that an Aerie can put in her sequencers and contingiences, only few combinations involving lev7 spells are prevented.
    semiticgoddessjackjack
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    edited August 2016
    Wild mages aren't permitted to dual class under unmodded rules.
    jackjack