Skip to content

PST:EE is next and here is why:

1235»

Comments

• megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    just mentioning wanting an ee will cause riots.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963

just mentioning wanting an ee will cause riots.

Person 1: "pst... hey buddy... want an ee?"

Person 2: "ZOMG!!! RIOTS!!!!"
    JuliusBorisov
  • AdulAdul Member Posts: 2,002
    Interesting thread you have here. Don't mind if partake in some conspiracy theories.

So, I just had a thought. Looking back at the 2.0 release, why did Beamdog demolish and rebuild from ground up the entire UI system? The immediate answer is that they wanted to spruce up the UI for SoD, and that's certainly true. I wonder though if that was the only reason.

It was a huge undertaking on their part and it's not like the previous UI was unusable. They could have changed the layouts and created new designs, they've done this before after all. But they went much further and created a system that could accommodate larger and more radical changes than what they actually needed. Get what I'm driving at?

What if the primary reason for the UI system rework was for Beamdog to use the same engine for a game with a very different UI setup? A new Infinity EE game. Could be Torment, could be IWD2, could be something else.

Or I could be completely and utterly wrong. Wouldn't be the first time.
    JuliusBorisovrorikon
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    Modern modular programming practice means that they could use the interface developed for SoD with other games, even if they where not powered by the infinity engine. I always figured that this was the intention, since the revamp was way too much work for a mere expansion pack.

Initially it will be used for Dave Gaider's new BG game though, not PSTEE, which is not a current project.
    JuliusBorisovAdul
  • AdulAdul Member Posts: 2,002
    Fardragon said:

Initially it will be used for Dave Gaider's new BG game though, not PSTEE, which is not a current project.

Not a current project maybe, but it could have been one at the time. Fair points, though.

Also, we know there's a BG game in the works?
  • kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 1,308
    Adul said:

We "know" (it's come up in various places even outside this forum but not officially confirmed) that a new D&D game is in the works, but people labeling it 'BG Next' is just their wishful thinking. I am quite confident it is a completely new IP that has nothing to do with the BG series, which is exactly as it should be.
  • ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    @kanisatha
    BG:Next is does not strictly refer to a new entry in the Baldur's Gate series, it's about being a spiritual successor. Basically what a lot of us wanted Neverwinter Nights, Dragon Age and Pillars of Eternity to be.

That can either mean an actual sequel or a game that manages to strike the same notes in terms of gameplay, atmosphere and general "feel" and most importantly invoke the same magic that the BG series invoked in us.
    JuliusBorisovsparkleavAdulscriver
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    kanisatha said:

Adul said:

We "know" (it's come up in various places even outside this forum but not officially confirmed) that a new D&D game is in the works, but people labeling it 'BG Next' is just their wishful thinking. I am quite confident it is a completely new IP that has nothing to do with the BG series, which is exactly as it should be.
    What we "know" about the project come from talk about negotiations with Hasbro about the D&D licence.

You don't need to negotiate with Hasbro for "a completely new IP".
  • kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 1,308
    Fardragon said:

What we "know" about the project come from talk about negotiations with Hasbro about the D&D licence.

You don't need to negotiate with Hasbro for "a completely new IP".

What I meant by "completely new IP" is a D&D/Forgotten Realms game that is not related to an existing D&D game.
  • BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 2,108
    ajwz said:

Ugh, let's just hope they don't casualise it for the modern audience by adding things such as a character wheel, no permadeath, special snowflake party members, and the ability to respec your character's class mid-game.

I see what you did there.
    GenderNihilismGirdleCrevsDaak