Skip to content

Free Action Disabling Boots of Speed

erroniuserronius Member Posts: 28
Does anyone know if there is a mod out there to make it so that items that grant Free Action (i.e. Impaler +6, Flail of Ages +5, Ring of Free Action) do not disable Boots of Speed? They didn't in the original BG2. I understand the theoretical reason for this change but IMO makes these items almost unusable, or at least, much less fun to use.

Thanks
Ravenslight

Comments

• GrimLefourbeGrimLefourbe Member Posts: 637
    edited September 2016
    Items revision does it to the revised items, and klatu tweaks and fixes has a component for that, however it doesn't always work. (Item rev is not up to date with items introduced by SoD, not sure about klatu)
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    If someone, for some reason, doesn't like the items that you modded or created he can install only the free action part.

By the way I suppose that there is some reason why the items that grant Free Action prevent from being hasted. But I can not understand which is that reason.
    Reading the in game description of FoA +5 it say that it grants Free Action.
    And form the in game description of it "This spell grants target creature immunity to things that would limit its movement". Being hasted is an improvement, not a limitation.
    The effect of the weapons is not Free Action, instead they prevent any change while equipped. The effect or the description is wrong, and I would like that the effect would be regarded as wrong, and changed according to the description.
    Because the opposite would be gamebreaking, an item that, while equipped prevents any change to the movement rate would be crazy. I would immediately cast on myself improved haste and THEN equip the weapon, from that moment until I unequip the weapon my movement rate would not change, does not matter if the spell that hasted me expires... Think about it. Permanent improved haste.

Can someone explain to me why those items don't apply the free action, as is stated in the description, but also don't prevent any change in the movement rate, that is a OP but viable alternative, but instead apply the second effect after resetting the movement rate to the natural one? I can understand it for the ring, that can have a situational use, not for some of the weapons that are supposed to be among the most powerful of the game. The FoA+4 is way better than his upgrade, specially if you use the poisoning head for the upgrade, and for someone who specializes or take GM in flails there is not a viable alternative for the late game. All this has ever looked silly to me.
    But may be I miss something, so I ask.
  • EdvinEdvin Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,244
    @gorgonzola
    According to me "Free Action" should be buff that protects against things that can slow or stop you.
    Same rules as like magic resistance. It is not possible to be immune against positive magic.
    Ravenslightgorgonzola
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    This is exactly my point and also what the in game description of free action tells.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited September 2016
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
    @subtledoctor
    So the mage who has high magic resistance can not cast spells on himself? :D
    It is bullshit even according to the lore. Drow mages would be completely useless.
    SpaceInvader
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

If you innately repel magic, what does intent matter?

Actually, it matters quite a lot.

If you have some amulet that gives you complete immunity to magic, then it depends on the type of enchantment. Some things can negate all magic (for example, something that create dead-magic zone around your body), but the vast majority protects only against harmful magic.

BUT

Natural magic resistance is something entirely different.
    It's something like a defense mechanism of your body (like white blood cells).
    There is no reason to protect your body against the positive effects.

That's actually how MR worked originally, before Bioware changed it for the young players who needed training wheels.

Original game had a lot of mistakes and this was one of them.
    It was simply correction of mistake.
    SpaceInvader
  • GrimLefourbeGrimLefourbe Member Posts: 637
    It's just opinion, having drawbacks to powerful effects can be interesting or not, depending on how it's handled. I don't think it was handled well in BG1 for magic resist(viconia can't be healed what). Similarly, having a high level weapon get weaker when it's upgraded is bad design, it means that at this point of the game, the drawbacks exceed the benefits by far too much and shouldn't be put on items of this level.

A magical item that makes you weaker without being cursed or an easter egg probably shouldn't exist and free action on items can be that type of items at some point. I don't think it's a problem with the ring of free action because you can get one in BG1 and at this point the reward vs drawback is an interesting choice to make (do I limit my best case to ensure I meet a minimum of damage output?). The item should also have no limitations while out of combat because having to unequip items and reequip them before going into combat is a bad design.

I like the way Free Action is done in BG1, the ring gives the full effect but has drawbacks, or Spider's bane gives a partial protection but without any drawbacks. Makes it interesting without having a bad item.
    gorgonzola