Skip to content

Does Difficulty (e.g. "Insane") affect number of monsters in non-SoD parts of the game post-2.0?

With "no-difficulty-based damage increase" that would be a nice way of increasing the challenge of the base game, but it appears (at least on early BG) that the encounters are unchanged on Insane?

Does anyone have specific info on this?

Thanks.

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    No, it's only SoD-specific.
  • YgramulYgramul Member Posts: 1,059

Thanks.

If Devs would consider it, it would be a nice addition to the vanilla game as well: as I see it the current already does a level scaling of some sorts. Perhaps, simply tuning the level scaling accordingly (e.g. at Insane the game regards your level to be twice of what it actually is) should be already something. Or perhaps increasing the enemies in a pod (of Ogres, Gibberlings etc.).

Would be a nice feature to add, I think.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited September 2016
    If you are interested in this I do have a mod that adds more monsters along the critical path of Non-SoD BGEE (based on your difficulty level). You can find it (as one of the components) here.

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/59889/rough-world-beta/p1
  • YgramulYgramul Member Posts: 1,059
    elminster said:

If you are interested in this I do have a mod that adds more monsters along the critical path of Non-SoD BGEE (based on your difficulty level). You can find it (as one of the components) here.

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/59889/rough-world-beta/p1

Thanks. Will check it out.

I think this would be a great addition to the vanilla game.
  • KuronaKurona Member Posts: 881
    Are the EE-only areas of BG2 affected? I seem to remember the Red Wizard enclave absolutely crawling with mercenaries when playing on Insane.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited September 2016
    Kurona said:

Are the EE-only areas of BG2 affected? I seem to remember the Red Wizard enclave absolutely crawling with mercenaries when playing on Insane.

Some enemies in the EE additions do use better tactics if you are fighting them at a difficulty greater than say normal. But I'm not aware of any extra spawning enemies due to difficulty (at least not in BG2EE).

A handful of areas in ToB/Watcher's Keep (AR3012 would be an example if you are playing less than core) do however have their total number of enemies adjusted if you are playing on a lower difficulty setting (or have a low level)
  • alceryesalceryes Member Posts: 380

Hmmm, weird.
    I'm now traipsing through my first "hard" BG1 difficulty run and I swear that I've seen a few extra encounters AND higher enemy number encounters than on my "core rules" runs. Is there a small randomness to the number of enemies that spawn at set encounter points (like 4-6 kobolds)? If so, that may explain it.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    alceryes said:

a small randomness to the number of enemies that spawn at set encounter points (like 4-6 kobolds)?

Yes, I think this is the case.