Skip to content

Theft Question

I go into a store and there are a couple of unlocked cupboards, I open one and immediately the flaming fist are there accusing me of theft but I've not taken anything I was just looking in the drawer?
What if I simply want to read a book I find there...

Comments

• alceryesalceryes Member Posts: 380
    This got me as well.
    Early in BG1 you can freely take anything that isn't behind a lock. Once you get to BG city there are several (many?) unlocked containers that will trigger a theft from taking the contents (maybe even just looking?).
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    I think this is more of a technicality of the game engine from being made in the late 90s,

it was probably implemented this way too add "realism" into the game to make it look like if you are going to steal something from somebody, there will be consequences for it

but again, its not quite perfect, as I said, the game was originally made in the late 90s, so things like this will happen every once in a while
  • robertmarkbramrobertmarkbram Member Posts: 28
    It's so funny, because as I am taking things from chests in people's houses.. I don't have to wonder much what my reaction would be if someone wonders through my bedroom, looking at all my stuff. :D
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300

It's so funny, because as I am taking things from chests in people's houses.. I don't have to wonder much what my reaction would be if someone wonders through my bedroom, looking at all my stuff. :D

That post made me laugh out loud in a very inappropriate situation xD
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Eldrane said:

What if I simply want to read a book I find there...

It's not a library. (Unless you are in candlekeep)
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    Over 19 years playing BG and I've never read one of those lore books (except the one Firebread gives you).

Shame on me :/
  • EldraneEldrane Member Posts: 56
    I love that "it's not a library" comment!
    I also love reading the books...
    Is there "anything" I can do to not get caught because I really don't want to lose rep?
  • ConjurerDragonConjurerDragon Member Posts: 110
    Eldrane said:

I love that "it's not a library" comment!
    I also love reading the books...
    Is there "anything" I can do to not get caught because I really don't want to lose rep?

Do it invisible.
  • RavenslightRavenslight Member Posts: 1,609
    I have noticed that in some situations, if I’m careful that other NPCs are out of sight (the ones that are walking around) I can take items without being caught. Sometimes a simple reload will fix it as well.

Though it has been a while since I’ve tried it, I believe that using the cleric sanctuary spell has helped me in the past as well.
  • JumboWheat01JumboWheat01 Member Posts: 1,028
    It's the same trigger for locked things too. UNLOCKING something (most of the time,) isn't a crime, it's rummaging about that they take offense to. You'd figure they'd be more miffed about the first one.
  • joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137

It's the same trigger for locked things too. UNLOCKING something (most of the time,) isn't a crime, it's rummaging about that they take offense to. You'd figure they'd be more miffed about the first one.

Especially when you bash the lock instead of picking it.
  • AerakarAerakar Member Posts: 1,026
    I am only whistling, walking about your home, don't pay any attention to me, go in the other room of course since nothing to see here except a heavily armed stranger admiring the interior of you domicile, I am not picking your locks definitely, just admiring the handiwork, whistling away...
    edited September 2016

Yup, it's great for all us XP whores out there. Who cares that there's three armed guards staring RIGHT AT YOU.

Pick - click - 40 XP. YESSSS!!!
  • LordVemLordVem Member Posts: 28
    Protip: if the only NPC's that can see you are commoners or nobles, you can just enequip your weapon and punch them into unconsciousness. Teeny bit evil though.

You could also just charm them. Either way they don't call the guards.
  • LoldrupLoldrup Member Posts: 291
    LordVem said:

Protip: if the only NPC's that can see you are commoners or nobles, you can just enequip your weapon and punch them into unconsciousness. Teeny bit evil though.

I've had a commoner call the guard, even though I had charmed him :(
    LordVem said:

Do NOT try this with a monk :D. It doesn't end well!
  • JumboWheat01JumboWheat01 Member Posts: 1,028
    alceryes said:

LordVem said:

Do NOT try this with a monk :D. It doesn't end well!
    Honestly, officer! I was only trying to get them to stop screaming! I didn't mean to turn them into numerous meaty giblets!
  • SkaroseSkarose Member Posts: 247
    edited September 2016
    My chaotic evil blackguard uses this technique to collect suits of plate armor for resale...
  • LordVemLordVem Member Posts: 28
    Loldrup said:

LordVem said:

I've had a commoner call the guard, even though I had charmed him :(
    Hmmm, never had that before. You can still just make them move out of sight anyway though.