Skip to content

Spell vs. SpellRES

chimericchimeric Member Posts: 1,163
If I replace (override) default spells with custom files in the override folder, what happens to the Spell action? Scripts call on, for example, WIZARD_DIRE_CHARM, but I have a different Dire Charm in the folder. Do default spells remain?

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • chimericchimeric Member Posts: 1,163
    Where
  • GrimLefourbeGrimLefourbe Member Posts: 637
    Not sure if this is the good readme but here's a link to ADD_SPELL : http://www.weidu.org/~thebigg/beta/README-WeiDU.html#hevea_default279
  • chimericchimeric Member Posts: 1,163
    No, that's not it. I don't need scripts to use the new spells. They are not appropriate for computer-controlled actors. I need NPC to use the old spells while the party will get the ones in the override folder. Hence my question.
  • kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367
    Existing Scripts reference spells by filename, regardless of whether its Spell or SpellRES. You would need to recompile every script to change which spell-filename they reference.

If you put a spell in the override folder with the same filename as an existing spell, the game ceases to acknowledge the original, and uses the new one exclusively.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited October 2016
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
  • kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367

Yeah but if you change the IDS reference to point to a new file, then some scripts will reference the IDS name (thus using the new spell) while other scripts might reference the RES (thus using the old spell). Right?

No script references a spell by its symbolic name, they cannot, it is always stored as either a RES or IDS#, both of which are hard-coded to a specific filename.

Weidu and NI decompile scripts into readable text, translating the IDS#/filename reference to its symbolic name in the process, but unless you recompile a script, no changes to SPELL.IDS will have any effect on it.