Skip to content

Dexterity - Reaction Adjustment

Heya! :smile:

The dexterity table has a reaction modifier, is this applied to weapon speed factor AND spellcasting speed, or just weapon? (and item use as well?)

Does this reaction adjustment factors at every round, or just once at start of combat?

Also, does somebody know the weapon speed of an unarmed attack, and if this value changes for monks and non-monks.

Hopefully somebody knows the answer to these questions, as I'm quite lost about how to find it (not good at math or running batchs of tests).

Comments

• sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    im pretty sure, reaction adjustment does not affect spell casting speed, it seems to me that Edwin casts spells just as quick as my 19 DEX sorcerer

not sure what the speed factor of a fist is, but apparently on level ups, monks get the odd bonus to it ( in the class description)

and in fact, not even all that sure if reaction adjustment even does anything period, might be one of those stats that where "thrown in" sort of thing just because it was in PnP

for example, back in the vanilla days, apparently having a higher wisdom gave you a bonus on saving throws against getting charmed ( you could see it in the columns in the back of the manuals) and yet, im pretty sure it did nothing

so the only thing I do know is that, based on the monk's class description, their speed factor with their fisties does indeed get better on a couple of level ups

but not sure if it actually does get implemented though
    MeaninglessAerakar
  • GrimLefourbeGrimLefourbe Member Posts: 637
    Isn't the reaction modifier the AC bonus?
  • MeaninglessMeaningless Member Posts: 51

Isn't the reaction modifier the AC bonus?

Guess not, since the table is very specific, here have a look: https://s18.postimg.org/6ni7npe6x/Sem_T_tulo_1.jpg

I could probably test if this reaction affects speed factor by placing 2 characters with the same weapon (or trying to activate the same item) at extreme opposites of dexterity to attack each other, again and again... sigh. Same for fists/monks, but gonna wait and see if somebody has a more definitve answer before trying.

• Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    My memory from PnP is that this adjustment was not to weapon speed as such, but related to how quickly characters reacted when surprised, e.g. by an ambush. Like Sarevok57 I'm not sure that this was actually implemented in the game though.
    Aerakar
  • chimericchimeric Member Posts: 1,163
    It probably could be, in the form of a shock upon seeing an enemy - perhaps an enemy stronger than the group. Cast a Feeblemind for 1 or 2 seconds on everyone, adjust for Dexterity or Wisdom. Do the same for monsters. Could be done, I think.
  • GrimLefourbeGrimLefourbe Member Posts: 637
    Sounds like it could take the form of a bonus to save vs breath to me if it was to be implemented.
  • MeaninglessMeaningless Member Posts: 51
    edited October 2016
    Okay, so I tested and this Reaction from Dexterity doesn't seems to do anything, either at attacking or item usage. Both characters had the same weapon equiped, no proficiency in it, but one set dex 25 and the other at 1. They would both attack randomly, either at start and at subsequent rounds, didn't seem like there was a pattern. For item usage they would both activate the item at same time.

As for Speed Factor of a Monk fist attack, its probably zero, Monk would attack first (or in worst case at the same time) than a character with a 1 Speed Factor dagger.

Sounds like it could take the form of a bonus to save vs breath to me if it was to be implemented.

Yeah, it is a "wasted" column in the dexterity table, maybe someone knows how to code it into something interesting. Problem is that dex is already a decent attribute, the ones that need buffing are int/wis/cha.
    Post edited by Meaningless on