Skip to content

Mind flayer versus Beholder

I was in the Beholder's nest in the Underdark and there was a war, or rather a massacre of the beholders by the intruding mind flayers! They literally charm the shit out of the beholders and brain devour them. One of them even charmed the Hive Mother and made her his/her/its pet! (I'm playing SCS-modded)

Are Mind flayers like the strongest out there? Besides special enemies like liches, dragons, etc.

Comments

• TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    edited October 2016
    Kurona said:

SCS Mind Flayers are very dangerous and spiteful, if they're hurt too badly they even Dimension Door away to deny you the XP. I never install them just because of that.

Vampires do something like this as well, even without SCS, and I hate them for it.
  • johntyljohntyl Member Posts: 397
    Kurona said:

SCS Mind Flayers are very dangerous and spiteful, if they're hurt too badly they even Dimension Door away to deny you the XP. I never install them just because of that.

Strange I've never encountered that b4. Probably they are so spiteful that they wanna devour everybit of my characters' brains till their last breath :D
  • johntyljohntyl Member Posts: 397
    Tresset said:

Kurona said:

Vampires do something like this as well, even without SCS, and I hate them for it.
    Oh yes, but SCS vamps are even worse. They will turn into bats and become immune to everything, and then come back with full health bars and vengeance.
  • KuronaKurona Member Posts: 881
    edited October 2016
    johntyl said:

Strange I've never encountered that b4. Probably they are so spiteful that they wanna devour everybit of my characters' brains till their last breath :D

Weaker flayers don't do it, but Ulitharids and the Alhoon definitely do. At least they used to in SCSII v.21; admittedly I haven't used the component since then so who knows.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    johntyl said:

Tresset said:

Kurona said:

Oh yes, but SCS vamps are even worse. They will turn into bats and become immune to everything, and then come back with full health bars and vengeance.
    Gross...
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    Hudzy said:

I would totally dimension door away to deny someone my XP.

hahhahahhha, I would totally do the same

• brunardobrunardo Member Posts: 526
    lol thats funny, should they be able to dimension door out under old school rules?
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    edited October 2016
    You can still kill them when they attempt to dd away. A fast and hard hitting fighter helps. (Kensai or archers can nail them as they flee)

Normally, mind flayers have huge %90 mr and this protects them from most beholder attacks. However, death ray bypasses mr (bug or intended?) in some versions of the game and can kill a mf outright. Still, mind flayers can stun and kill beholders with ease as well. A literal dice toss.
  • jinxed75jinxed75 Member Posts: 157
    Kurona said:

johntyl said:

Weaker flayers don't do it, but Ulitharids and the Alhoon definitely do. At least they used to in SCSII v.21; admittedly I haven't used the component since then so who knows.
    Regular Mind Flayers and Ulitharids only use their Planar Travel to teleport themselves to your Party. The Dimension Door spell is sometimes buggy, making the caster disappear from the map completely. I had that happening with Mekrath in my last playthrough, too. So I don't think that is an intentional behaviour from the Alhoon.
    Just reload if it happens.
  • KuronaKurona Member Posts: 881
    jinxed75 said:

Kurona said:

johntyl said:

Regular Mind Flayers and Ulitharids only use their Planar Travel to teleport themselves to your Party. The Dimension Door spell is sometimes buggy, making the caster disappear from the map completely. I had that happening with Mekrath in my last playthrough, too. So I don't think that is an intentional behaviour from the Alhoon.
    Just reload if it happens.
    Nope, their scripts outright use the DRYAD_TELEPORT spell (a fake DD removing them from the game) when their HP drop under 30%. There is a script action to drop their inventory but they still abscond with their XP. It's fully intended behavior.
  • jinxed75jinxed75 Member Posts: 157
    Kurona said:

Nope, their scripts outright use the DRYAD_TELEPORT spell (a fake DD removing them from the game) when their HP drop under 30%. There is a script action to drop their inventory but they still abscond with their XP. It's fully intended behavior.

Lol, just checked the FLAYER01 and 02.BCS, and it appears that you're right :D This also means it applies to every Mind Flayer type.
    Never really observed it happening, though.
    Could of course be that I didn't notice due to large number of mobs SCS throws at you, and that the occasional escapee evaded its doom