Skip to content

HLA Ranger Tracking

Hi all,

I believe this would be the best place to place this question as this is a HLA. Is the HLA Tracking ability of a Ranger any good? I have read the wiki pages and even tried it a few times, but it doesn't seem to do much so was wondering if I am using it wrong or if there might be an ability score that would increase chances or something. So far in any area I have tried it in I only get a message stating I cannot discern what type of creatures inhabit an area. I have tried so many places, but it seems even though it makes sense for me to take Tracking as a Ranger, it feels like a wasted choice almost. Any thoughts on this HLA?
mashedtaters

Comments

• argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,431
    This ability is pretty useless - especially if you've played the game before. It's supposed to display a short summary of potential creatures in the current area and you can see arrows at the edge of the screen which indicate the general direction of each creature on the map for a round or two (if there are any).
    mashedtatersgorgonzola
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    I find it can be somewhat useful... I mean, you can pretty much find exactly where everyone is by using it, pausing, and scrolling around the area. As soon as the arrows disappear that means the creature is on screen. Certainly one of the less useful HLAs, but I don't think it is the worst. It would be very much the worst if it didn't have infinite uses though.
    mashedtatersgorgonzola
  • mashedtatersmashedtaters Member Posts: 2,266
    I love tracking in IWD, it really adds to the role play value.
    But tracking in BG2 isn't so useful because you have to take it as an HLA. IWD comes to rangers for free.
    Neither of them offer stat boosts or combat bonuses.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    edited October 2016
    You don't need it at all. So what, you are going into a big bad Fire Giant Temple and tracking skill tells you there are Fire giants and other fiery hot enemies around? Or you visit cursed, abandoned temple ruins surrounded by mists and shadow or an eerie colored sky with no sun, and it says there may be undead around? Big help to a ranger with the mental stats of Minsc, maybe. Thanks but no, thanks, I would just grab another gww please.

Paladins get summon deva, rangers get this...wish they could get minor elemental summoning instead. It might not make most sense but still an option.
    mashedtatersRelSundangorgonzola