Skip to content

Neverwinter Nights 1 Question involving the toolset and editing characters.

VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,457
Hello all! Recently I've been messing around with NWN1 and been trying to re-create a race from my 5e homebrew stuff.

I installed these mods into my override folder

https://neverwintervault.org/project/nwn1/hakpak/original-hakpak/doubled-jointed-leg-models

and

https://neverwintervault.org/project/nwn1/hakpak/original-hakpak/tail-pack

Though I have no idea how to actually use these to create a character. Anyone have any insights?

Comments

• TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    I only ever used the editor to fix bugs, make minor changes, and make custom items for myself. Sorry I can't help.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    edited November 2016
    @Vallmyr You don't need the toolset for creating playable custom races in NwN1. You only need that when creating modules and placing things into it. Like encounters, NPC's, objects, scripting quests, ect. Or want to directly modify the OC campaigns.

It is quite simple to create whole new custom races: all you need is to just modify a handful of .2da files and writing the needed name/description strings entries into the TLK file.
    • racialtypes.2da is the file in which you mainly create your custom race. Additionally, race_feat_****.2da (whereas **** is your race's name) will register, like its name suggest, your race's racial feats, resistances and skill bonuses. It's pretty straight forward if you look at the files of the base races of NWN1. If you want to use custom character models, then you also need to modify the appearances.2da accordingly.
    To see further examples you could also extract PRC's prc_2das.hak file and see how they have done it. If I remember correctly they already did a couple beastman races such as Catfolk, Satyrs, Nezumi and various kinds of Rakshasa. Amongst others.

However, NwN1 is hardcoded in a way that custom races will not display in the character creation process. For that you need to have a third party program such as the PRC Character Creator.

Furthermore, the tool requires you to have a HAK file of your custom race with all needed 2da files. But you can easily repack your files with the game's nwhak.exe. You can find that in your Neverwinter Nights/utils folder.

As a side note, the creation of custom races for NwN2 is very similar to NwN1. But without the need of third party tools.
    VallmyrFinneousPJGod
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,457
    Hmm. Taking a gander at the files in the 2da.bif since I do have PRC and its character creator installed and such.

I get the basic idea of what I'm supposed to do but my only familiarity with 2das was in NWN2 for removing Level Adjustment on races (I never use them in the PnP games I run).

I'll have to do more research it seems as I'm not really sure where to find such 2das as racialtypes.2da and appearances.2da.

My plan is to make a Kitsune race.

Name: Kitsune
    Ability Score Adjustments: +2 Dex -2 Con +2 Charisma
    Size: Medium
    Low Light Vision
    Skill Affinity (Spot) +2
    Skill Affinity (Listen) +2
    Skill Affinity (Search) +2
    Skill Affinity (Bluff) +2
    Dancing Lights, Disguise Self, Invisibility as SLAs 1/day.
    Favored Class: Bard

and then add the digitigrade legs, tail, and head options using the half-elf model as a base.

I'll have to stop messing with it for now but will do more research tonight.