Skip to content

Assassin Trilogy

MacHurtoMacHurto Member Posts: 731
I am finishing (again) my Reload-fest run with my head cannon (fighter dualled to mage after Chateau Irenicus) and I was thinking to try again a no-reload, this time with an assassin (which I think makes for a fitting evil run). Now the questions:
- i have never played a single thief. Is It a reasonable choice for a no reload? I play on iPad so I think poison hasnt been nerfed yet. Also it will be vanilla core rules
- is elf the best race? Or should I go shorty for the saves?
- Should I dual from assassin to something? I hear it is a bad idea (cannot shadowkeep an assassin multi.)
- Best weapon prof in BG1? Was thinking bow, dagger, scimitar, single style
- Will i need to spam resting?

Comments

• dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    I've had a huge amount of fun soloing an assassin dualed to mage at level 2 (which gives you one use of PW per day plus access to thieves weaponry and close to 100 in pick locks/whatever) but I believe most people dual later (I think you get an extra use of PW every four levels).
    If you do go this route don't forget that you can get prof in daggers when you dual to mage so it's sort of wasted at the assassin stage. Single weapon style is great early on for the extra AC (I also put a pip in dual wielding in SoA) but why scimitar (especially when there's such a good long sword available fairly early on in BG1).
  • MacHurtoMacHurto Member Posts: 731
    edited October 2016
    I was thinking scimitars for a single class assassin for Drizz weapons (BG1) and extra APR (BG2)for poisoning/assassinate HLA. Doesnt that make sense?

For thief skills I was going for hide/set traps and then see illusions. I will likely have Imoen for traps/locks
    edited October 2016
    Good point but I never bother with Drizzt in BG1 and really good scimitars are a bit thin on the ground in BG2 - there are however some awesome short swords for an assassin.

Edit: http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/BG2/Walkthrough2/items/short-swords.php
  • AerakarAerakar Member Posts: 1,024
    On the race of your assassin, Elf is probably the best race for the starting 19 dexterity, 18 strength (later to 19 after the tome) and +1 THACO for long/short swords and bows. They also receive some minor stealth bonuses to start. They make strong melee assassins, especially after that BG1 strength tomb.

Halflings receive great thieving bonuses and the 19 dexterity, but only receive 17 strength so making their backstabs significantly less reliable later on (potentially remedied by one of the various strength belts though). They are more survivable due to the saves and better thieves.

Gnomes are also ok, receiving only 18 dexterity but also 18 strength (later 19), as well as most of the shorty saving throws and excellent racial thieving bonuses in both stealth and the mechanical skills.

1/2 Orc starting strength is tempting, but they receive no real racial thieving bonuses while Elves and Gnomes reach a similar level of strength early in the trilogy. It is a fleeting advantage.

Having played all of the above, personally I would go with Gnome (2) or Elf (1). That 17 strength is just not worth it to me on the Halfling, while I do not think the 1/2 Orc offers enough to offset the benefits of the others.

Human for if you want to dual to a mage, etc.
    On weaponry, I prefer short sword/SWS, darts and short bows as also mentioned above.

For power backstabs, quarterstaffs are also very good, especially with two-handed style. Many people reject staffs for their thieves and I used to be one of them also, but I have been converted to the proverbial staff-using dark side after seeing in-game how much stronger my backstabs became using THS. I have also recently been reading the Thieves World anthology books and some warriors and thieves are using quarterstaffs!

Daggers are fun for their effects in both games and a good supplemental throwing weapon in SoA due to the 2 returning daggers especially. The 2 returning daggers receive 2 APR if used in melee as a side benefit.
    edited October 2016
    Thanks! One thing I hadnt realised is a thief is not inmune to critical hits (cannot use helmet) which makes ranged attackers very dangerous. How do you solo groups of bandits/hobgoblins? Can anyone use the wand of sleep?
    Edit: Yes, they can. Seems like I am going to be spamming that until I have enough levels to stop fast xp progression and get a meat shield
    I just cast Invisibility and run away (or saunter casually straight through them if I'm feeling smug).
  • jankieljankiel Member Posts: 127
    Best part of assassin? Use poison with explosive arrows. Everyone caught in the blast gets poisoned. Best cheese ever.
    edited October 2016
    Poison seems OP, yes. I started a quick run to test the kit and I killed Silke with one blow before she could act (good to have a fast weapon like a dagger for poisoning after dialogue). Then I got overconfident and went for bassilus, failed a ranged attack and died to rigid thinking+hold.

Oh well, that should teach me. Will roll another elf assassin and go for a no reload. Being careful and resting to recover poison, it should not be too difficult. I guess I will run into troube when dealing with groups that shoot or run fast.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    MacHurto said:

Poison seems OP, yes. I started a quick run to test the kit and I killed Silke with one blow before she could act (good to have a fast weapon like a dagger for poisoning after dialogue).

This is one of those reasons the ability has been redesigned with the 2.0 patch. But you're on an iPad, so the change doesn't affect you.
    Yet ;-) I still hope for 2.0 and SoD. A man can dream...
    edited November 2016
    Elf (or any race really) assassin is fun with traps and poison. I have been playing my recent elf run now for a long time and as long as restartitis does not return hopefully he will shortly move into SoD soon after completing Durlag's to get the Staff of Striking. I have him using short bow and short sword mainly, with liberal quarterstaff use for backstabs. I probably should have used darts also but did not this run.

The 2.0 poison change does reduce the power somewhat, but as you noted the poison was probably a bit OP before, especially for BG1.