Skip to content

Paladin (Cavalier) vs Priest of Lathander vs Fighter/Cleric

So i just buyed BG:EE for my tablet, and since its 2.0 i want to play it all again.I also plan to continue with my character to BG2:EE.

1.I want to be a capable fighter who doesnt hide behind, and also healer/buffer.Can Paladin stand on its own?Or does he miss the armor/weapon proficiency of a warrior?

2. Is penalty for Cavalier that severe?Even when i plan to use NPC with ranged?

3.Would Priest of Lanthander be as squishy as i fear?

4.Should i dualclass from fighter to cleric at 4th or 7th level?

5.As a paladin, should i aim only for two handed sword?Since he has already bonus for saving throws?

6.If i spend 7 levels as fighter, will i miss the xp on end game as Cleric?Even if i sweep all enemies and quests?

Comments

• yksimaltyksimalt Member Posts: 115
    edited November 2016
    Hello,

Answer to Q3.

I am currently using a Dwarven Priest of Lathander, 19 CON, 17 DEX, 20 STR (due to belt).

He is having no problem whatsoever.

Good enough tank, strong damage dealer, and with his specific Cleric spells he buffs well before any larger combat, and has the ability to heal both himself and the rest of the group.

/A.

Post edited by yksimalt on
  • JumboWheat01JumboWheat01 Member Posts: 1,028
    Zarkhes said:

So i just buyed BG:EE for my tablet, and since its 2.0 i want to play it all again.I also plan to continue with my character to BG2:EE.

1.I want to be a capable fighter who doesnt hide behind, and also healer/buffer.Can Paladin stand on its own?Or does he miss the armor/weapon proficiency of a warrior?

The Paladin trade of grandmastery for many bonuses, including being able to use some of the more powerful weapons in the game, is not a bad thing at all. While your spell power will never be able to approach the level of a Cleric, it's certainly a lot better than a Fighters. (Yes, I know, that doesn't take much.)
    2. Is penalty for Cavalier that severe?Even when i plan to use NPC with ranged?
    You could always put pips into melee-ranged weapons, like Axes, can't you? As far as I know, they haven't changed that. Just switch to a throwing axe, and voila, ranged weaponry. Or you could stick to the Leeroy Jenkins approved method, as you'll certainly have the staying power to do so.
    3.Would Priest of Lanthander be as squishy as i fear?
    Clerics have access to full plate armor, shields, helmets, a slew of defensive buffs, all the healing you could want... no, a Cleric of any stripe is not squishy. Not the greatest of front line fighters, but better than rogue or mage classes.
    4.Should i dualclass from fighter to cleric at 4th or 7th level?
    7 would get you 1.5 APR. That's a fine point to head to.
    5.As a paladin, should i aim only for two handed sword? Since he has already bonus for saving throws?
    You could always dual-wield. Bastard sword in one hand, something else in the other. Or flails and warhammers, the cheese combo. Or you could go sword and board, tank it up some. Saving throws don't affect someone trying to brain you with a weapon, AC does.
    6.If i spend 7 levels as fighter, will i miss the xp on end game as Cleric?Even if i sweep all enemies and quests?
    Clerics level pretty fast. I don't know if you'll gain all 40 levels of Cleric, but you'll most certainly get up there pretty good.
  • Mush_MushMush_Mush Member Posts: 476
    It all depends what you want your strengths to be. If you want to have a strong fighter without having to buff then I'd go either fighter dual>cleric or straight up fighter/cleric preferably dwarf for shorty saves.

But that's not to say a PoL is squishy, with buffs they can rival any fighter and even without buffs their armour and HP are decent. You could even play as cleric for BG1 til level 9-14 then Dual to fighter and have decent casting ability with a pure fighter progression.

Paladin is more a niche class you sacrifice some combat prowess and majority of casting ability for specific advantages, and because, paladins are cool. :)
  • ZarkhesZarkhes Member Posts: 20
    I just fear i have to cast buffs for minute before each combat.I hate that in IWD when i played cleric.

I realy like the idea of dualclassed cleric at level 8, keep 7 levels of fighter.I just forget how many spells you could have as a cleric in BG.Do you pick each level some, right?

Maybe i could be happy with some 1-4 priest spells as paladin.Maybe pick some that scales with level?
  • DaevelonDaevelon Member Posts: 605
    Zarkhes said:

you will not gain back your fighter levels in bg:ee, the cap is still 161000.
    In SoD yes, the cap is 500000, but in my personal opinion i prefer to use the cap remover since BG because i reach 161000 fair too early
    edited November 2016
    Cleric gets to level 8 in BG1 the cap being 161k. Level 8 clerics have access to level 4 spells, the amount you can cast depends on your wis score.

If you dual at 9 you'll get level 5 spells, level 11 gets you level 6 spells and 14 gets you level 7 spells. 14 is a pain to regain levels though. I had a Cleric of Lathander that I dualed at 12 and that was slow enough.
    I dont think i get it.Would it be bad if i end BG1 with 7 fighter/1 cleric?
    You would be a level 1 cleric only. You only regain fighter abilities once you surpass your fighter level so you would need to be level 8 cleric otherwise your thac0 would be awful.
  • FrancoisFrancois Member Posts: 452
    I also don't like to bother too much about buffing. For fighter/clerics, I prefer multi-class. Your spells progress more slowly, but you are a better warrior and you don't have to worry about when to dual. You also get access to high-level abilities for both classes in ToB.

I think i will try 7 levels as human barbarian.Then dualclass in cleric. Something like this : http://whfb.lexicanum.com/wiki/Warrior_Priest
    I gues i should max out str dex and con, right?And wisdom of 17 to dualclass to priest if i remember.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    If you don't want to pre buff a lot, I would go with Paladin. Some of the best saving throws and a fully competent basher of things.
  • LoldrupLoldrup Member Posts: 291
    Zarkhes said:

So i just buyed BG:EE for my tablet, and since its 2.0 i want to play it all again.

How can this be? BG for Android is still 1.3 :(

Loldrup said:

Zarkhes said:

So i just buyed BG:EE for my tablet, and since its 2.0 i want to play it all again.

What?!I assumed they are same version!
    Zarkhes said:

Loldrup said:

Zarkhes said:

What?!I assumed they are same version!
    It's something they're working on. ETA: Soon™
  • GallengerGallenger Member Posts: 400
    Like a few folks have said above it depends on what you want your role to be and how you're going to be playing the game generally.

You can play a F/C, Paladin, or a regular Cleric of any type as a front-line tank in any BG game.

With Paladin, you're basically a fighter who has some special abilities that regular fighters won't - depending on kit/type. About the time you get spells, you'll start to fall behind fighters in straight up combat - but this is amended by items in BG2 - of which the Paladin gets some of the best. A paladin PC can contribute in a minimal way to healing the party and casting various buff spells after level 9 (unless you're an inquisitor - then you get oodles of dispel instead). So, you can't make the paladin your primary divine caster by any stretch of the imagination - unless you intend to do without. The other upside to the Paladin is they get a saves bonus, and in BG when your main char dies, the game ends, so it's nice to have the cards a little stacked in your favor as far as not losing control of your main char (or insta-death) lol. You also get access to "protection from evil" in great quantities, and since most of the enemies you fight in the game are evil, you get a free +2 to AC for most fights that don't start right on top of you.

A plain cleric fighting in the front is viable because ultimately what determines if you can survive that is your AC and saves - which the Cleric can wear all the same gear as a fighter generally, so your AC is going to be just as low as an equivalent fighter most of the time. For big fights you also have access to a lot of buff spells that can set you over the top of a fighter for a relatively short duration + provide other available divine casting duties (dispell, CC spells, emergency healing, post-fight healing, pre-fight buffs etc). You won't have access to the raw DPS of the fighter as often as a fighter does, but you can periodically go higher or at least as high, as the fighter in bursts + do other stuff.

The F/C is basically a front-line cleric who trades their cleric spell progression for more unassisted DPS than the regular Cleric could manage. So if you like running with 6 characters, it may be a good idea to have an additional divine caster around, since a lot of your spell book will be set out on self-buffs that you use.

Fight-Cleric dual class fills the same niche as a Fighter/Cleric they just go about it differently and end up being surpassed in unassisted DPS capability later in the game but will get high level divine spells sooner.

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,723
    The tablet versions are still at 1.3, because it has turned out a lot of effort and time is needed to bring the 2.X updates on tablets.

I think a fighter/cleric multiclass (I propose a dwarf) is exactly what you need - it doesn't hide behind, it's a healer and a buffer. Also, you don't need to wait till your levels are back and can use all your fighter and cleric abilities every second in the game.
    And when you combine Fighter with Draw Upon Holy Might, you get a beast of a character.
  • firdausm601firdausm601 Member Posts: 31
    ill just finish this game using wild mage on my phone(android)..... mage is suck for early level but is good in high level
    I think i leave multiclass to second playtrough.

Now i cant choose between Cavalier and Inquisitor.

Cavalier seems just boring and op, is inquisitor viable options?

Also, paladin can use 3 points in two weapons style.Why, and is it worth it?Or should i just go for Carsomyr?

I rolled 18/41str
    11 dex
    18 con
    13 int
    13 wis
    18 cha
    Should i reroll?
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Inquisitor is generally considered one of the strongest kits, period. Mostly because of just how many mages you have to contend with in BG2. Cavalier is amazing against what it is designed to kill, but they aren't very common enemy types. You will appreciate having a Cavalier when you face that dragon though. Carsomyr is considered by many to be the main reason to go Paladin. Two weapon fighting is totally worth it if that is what you want to do though. I would re-roll only because of DEX. Dex is the one stat to rule them all in these games.
    But can i go lower with int?What about those mind flyers in bg2?
  • DanacmDanacm Member Posts: 951
    spoilers

inquisitor is strong as pc but you can get an npc for this class. If you go with party i recommonded to try either cavalier or undead hunter. cavalier is a great for bg1 and against early game enemies, undead hunter makes easier early soa with her immunities. In late game both paladin kit is strong, with carsomyr, purifier, answerer, mace of desruption, flail of ages, ravager, etc is easymod. if you want to be dps go dual wield, if some rp thing i like both sword and shield or two handed style, both is great in soa and after whirlwind both style is good.
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    Zarkhes said:

But can i go lower with int?What about those mind flyers in bg2?

11 is a quite common breakpoint for that. I rarely have problem with them though. Just use chokepoint, AoE and switch frontliners if anyone is INT drained. In the sewers you can easily open and close doors to rest between fights etc.

If you want a powerhouse character, which it sounds like, you should go for 18:91 STR, 18 DEX and 18 CON, 11 INT and whatever else is left in WIS and CHA. Personally, I'm not fixated on CON since HP isn't needed as much if you are rarely hit, so if I had to lower one of the prime stats, I would choose CON. I'd rather give DEX gloves and STR belt/gloves to my NPCs.
  • GallengerGallenger Member Posts: 400
    edited November 2016
    You only need 9 int to read scrolls + be literate (I really wish they'd made it so that if you didn't have 9 int you couldn't read anything). You can survive the mind flayers with that amount as long as you're careful and bring the proper equipment. 18 CHA is also less useful than it would seem it only gets you a handful of unique encounters, and since you're LG you'll be getting tons of money anyways - plus there are numerous items in the game that boost your CHA (one of them permanently), so for most people it's a complete dump stat.

So you've got the points required to boost your dex to 16 - which will become 17 by the end of BG1 and will be just ducky really. Unless you'd prefer to play a somewhat flawed character (which is fine too).
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    For my money, dwarven fighter/Cleric

* Shorty Saves makes fighting mages easier (a must)
    * Con19
    * Str doesn't matter (draw upon holy might makes it min 19...)
    * Dual wield maces in BG1 (the stupefier is ridiculously OP)
    * Dual wield flails in BG2 (defender of easthaven offhand and flail of ages main hand)

You heal, buff, tank and do great damage. Against mages you have great saves, against Meele you have great damage resistance. And best of all? You've got a godly beard.