Skip to content

All you wanted to know about the next Beamdog's project

Comments

• SirBatinceSirBatince Member Posts: 882
    I'm still very surprised IWD2 is brushed away so easily and ignored. Seemed like a nobrainer to me.
    ArchaosVarwulf
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @SirBatince The main issue with IWD2 is the drastically different ruleset. It would require a lot more work and special attention than the sharing the changes across the other IE games.
    semiticgoddessFardragonSirBatince
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    ThacoBell said:

@SirBatince The main issue with IWD2 is the drastically different ruleset. It would require a lot more work and special attention than the sharing the changes across the other IE games.

Add to that it was the least commercially succcessful in the first place (apart from PST), and it really doesn't look like a strong commercial proposition.
    semiticgoddess
  • SirBatinceSirBatince Member Posts: 882
    ThacoBell said:

It's kind of ironic considering it's the last IE game produced.

Seeing the same character animations as in BG2 really struck me as a child.
    ThacoBell
  • kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 1,308
    ThacoBell said:

Yeah I'm pretty sure I'm in the minority that liked IWD2 more than 1.

I liked IwD2 more than 1 as well. But that's also why I'm still unhappy about how short that game is because it never got an expansion.
    ThacoBellVarwulf
  • DoubledimasDoubledimas Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,286
    edited November 2016
    No iOS/MacOS updates of the EE's (and thus v2.4) yet due to being 'in the middle of something':
  • ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428
    I liked IDW2 as well, mostly because of the 3rd ed rules.
    sazziesemiticgoddessVarwulf
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026

No iOS/MacOS updates of the EE's (and thus v2.4) yet due to being 'in the middle of something':

That's a bloody pity. What about SoD for Android?? It's been a long time...
  • sazziesazzie Member Posts: 103
    @ShapiroKeatsDarkMage me too! i also loved all the additional race and class options. ill be so devastated if an IWD2 ee is never made
    Varwulf
  • rapsam2003rapsam2003 Member Posts: 1,636
    edited November 2016
    sazzie said:

@ShapiroKeatsDarkMage me too! i also loved all the additional race and class options. ill be so devastated if an IWD2 ee is never made

It'd be a major issue to remake it though, because new ruleset. IWD2 uses 3rd edition D&D, whereas IWD1 & the BG series uses AD&D2.
    personally id be happy to wait and pay an increased game price if necessary but i can understand that it may not be financially viable due to the updates, time and effort it would take to EE it. as a teen playing it i never noticed the different rules and just thought it was an updated style compared to BG2 as it had feats similar to NWN and hold hope that one day ill get an EE for it *_*
    If nothing else. at least the gog version is stable on windows 10
    RodrianShapiroKeatsDarkMagerapsam2003Varwulf
    @ThacoBell whats the gog version?
  • RodrianRodrian Member Posts: 426
    edited November 2016
    @sazzie - https://www.gog.com/game/icewind_dale_2

[EDIT]: If you don't know GOG ("Good Old Games"), it's basically the best place known to a man, where you can buy good. . old. . games. :sweat_smile:
    [EDIT2]: Also it has this Steam  like platform - GOG Galaxy - which helps you contain & play all your previously bought games.
    [EDIT3]: Oh! and as ThacoBell already indicated: nearly all games found there are playable on the newest tech./platforms.
    [EDIT1245]: . . and they're DRM free.
    Post edited by Rodrian on
    sazzieThacoBellcmk24
    thank you @Rodrian !! now that im older i want to see if i can complete some of the things i know i didnt last time *cough* ice temple *cough* trying to multiclass people *cough* and see if it takes me as long to kill the final bosses which, fyi, took me *AGES* due to my severe lack of tactics ....
    Rodrianrapsam2003ThacoBell
  • DoubledimasDoubledimas Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,286
    edited November 2016
    Southpaw said:

That's a bloody pity. What about SoD for Android?? It's been a long time...
    @Southpaw
    Also not right now due to the unnamed project.
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026

@Southpaw

Also not right now due to the unnamed project.
    Yea... come on, tablets need some love too!
    _Luke_
    @Rodrian im currently playing IWD2 after 'goging' it and im over the moon tho i feel like im going to end up tripping balls as the screen size is HUGE and my eyes arent used to it (its zoomed in further than BG) but so far so good!

only downside, it doesnt have expanded class options for some things (shadowdancer, shapeshifter etc) and i couldve sworn there was more race options but other than that its so awesome ty for pointing it out for me :D
    ShapiroKeatsDarkMageThacoBellsemiticgoddessRodrian
  • batoorbatoor Member Posts: 676
    edited November 2016
    Is the whole thing with Asmodeus devouring a fallen gods essence and ascending and afterwards ending the blood war still canon in 5th edition? I hope is isn't canon and besides he isn't on the list of deities so.

Only read it on the Forgotten Realms wikia though and I think it was 4E.

Just thought I would ask since the blood war was mentioned in the thread.
    batoor said:

Is the whole thing with Asmodeus devouring a fallen gods essence and ascending and afterwards ending the blood war still canon in 5th edition? I hope is isn't canon and besides he isn't on the list of deities so.

He does ascend. He does end the Blood War. (It's more of a cold war now.) He is a deity. Also, the majority of tieflings look like Devil-ish tieflings (horns, tail, etc.), and mating with a tiefling always results in the birth of a tiefling. There are alternative tieflings (like those in 2E's Planescape setting or Abyssal tieflings) though in "Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide" and "Unearthed Arcana: That Old Black Magic".

brusbatoor

batoor said:

He does ascend. He does end the Blood War. (It's more of a cold war now.) He is a deity. Also, the majority of tieflings look like Devil-ish tieflings (horns, tail, etc.), and mating with a tiefling always results in the birth of a tiefling. There are alternative tieflings (like those in 2E's Planescape setting or Abyssal tieflings) though in "Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide" and "Unearthed Arcana: That Old Black Magic".

How Can a war bè cold in a very flaming Place like Hell?
    ThacoBelldeltagosemiticgoddess
    sazzie said:

@Rodrian im currently playing IWD2 after 'goging' it and im over the moon tho i feel like im going to end up tripping balls as the screen size is HUGE and my eyes arent used to it (its zoomed in further than BG) but so far so good!

only downside, it doesnt have expanded class options for some things (shadowdancer, shapeshifter etc) and i couldve sworn there was more race options but other than that its so awesome ty for pointing it out for me :D

Unfortuanately there were never prestige classes in IWD2.
    sazzie
    ThacoBell said:

sazzie said:

Which sucks. They would have been nice achievements.
    sazzie

How Can a war bè cold in a very flaming Place like Hell?

Heh. Ask Asmodeus. The Demons and the Devils very much hate each other. And neither one is trying to overrun the Upper Planes, for fear the other will strike at them.

• BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768

ThacoBell said:

sazzie said:

Which sucks. They would have been nice achievements.
    IWD2 uses the 3rd edition rules, prestige classes were more of a 3.5 thing.

BTW, there's a few mods out there for IWD2, including a widescreen mod. It's a little ugly, but it works.
    BillyYank said:

IWD2 uses the 3rd edition rules, prestige classes were more of a 3.5 thing.

Kinda yes, kinda not. NWN1 was also based on 3E rules, and it had prestige classes. But 3.5E definitely put more of an emphasis on those.
    BillyYank said:

BTW, there's a few mods out there for IWD2, including a widescreen mod. It's a little ugly, but it works.

Here's some lists. Don't guarantee all the links still work though...
    http://www.sorcerers.net/community/threads/a-comprehensive-link-list-of-all-iwd2-mods.46611/
    http://www.weidu.org/iwd2.html

Also, there's some redundancies between those 2 lists.

sazzie
  • thebutlerthebutler Member Posts: 7
    BillyYank said:

I thought the same and found just the widescreen mod too hard to play with, but then I found this:
    http://havredest.eklablog.fr/interfaces-pour-widescreen-a42876917
    it fixes the gui to the resolution you want - it's in French I think, but scroll down and you'll find English install instructions
    BillyYanksazzie
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    thebutler said:

BillyYank said:

I thought the same and found just the widescreen mod too hard to play with, but then I found this:
    http://havredest.eklablog.fr/interfaces-pour-widescreen-a42876917
    it fixes the gui to the resolution you want - it's in French I think, but scroll down and you'll find English install instructions
    Nice, I'll have to try that out.
  • _Luke__Luke_ Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,535
    Is Beamdog going to give us some more detailed info (teaser trailer, screenshots, ...) about the next project by the end of the year?